Southland Conference Championship

CraigS

5 way tie for first place with each having one loss - SHSU, MSU, UCA, SELA, SFA.

Who has the better chance at winning out and/or making the playoffs?

The following games remain against contenders:

SHSU - UCA, SFA

MSU - SELA, SFA

UCA - SHSU

SELA - MSU

SFA - SHSU, MSU

It seems SELA and UCA may have the inside tack with only one game against conference contenders. SELA having MSU will be the tougher opponent IMO, but will a home game for the Lions, whereas UCA has SHSU, it will be played in Huntsville the last game of the season....

on the homer side of things, SHSU needs to win out...and needs help from MSU beating SELA...if that happens, the KATS will win the SLC...but with the inconsistencies at QB, it won't be an easy task, starting with the Jacks this weekend.

SLC update....

With SHSU beating SFA and UCA also losing that leaves just McNeese, SELA, and SHSU tied with one loss.

MSU still has to play SELA, whereas SHSU still has to play UCA (which is out of contention)

As I understand it, without any other unexpected losses by contenders

SHSU wins out - AND MSU wins out - SHSU champions (due to head to head)

SHSU wins out - AND SELA wins out

- IF SFA finishes above NSU = SHSU champion

- IF NSU finishes above SFA = SELA champion

MSU wins out - AND SHSU loses - MSU champions

**** SHSU and SELA did not play head to head, therefore their common opponents will break the tie...since NSU beat SHSU....and SFA beat SELA,....NSU and SFA's order of finish will determine who (SHSU & SELA) will win the SLC due to beating the more highly ranked team.

And then there's 2 - With SFA beating MSU at home....SHSU and SELA are the only remaining teams with 1 loss in the SLC. The teams will not play each other this season. Provided they both win out, the following is the tie-breaker rules for SLC.

As of now - SHSU has the tie breaker with SFA (SHSU win / SELA Loss) ahead of NSU (SHSU loss / SELA win)

Tie Between Two Teams.
In case of a two-way tie for the championship, the team that defeated the other team shall be the automatic bid recipient. If the two (2) teams did not play one another, then the tied teams’ won-loss results against the next highest-positioned team(s) they both played shall be compared. This shall be continued through the final standings until one (1) team gains the advantage, thus the NCAA automatic bid. When comparing tied teams’ records against other teams in order above or below the tie in question, all other teams not involved in the tie are eligible to be compared with. [5/14]

Computer Rankings.
Should the above tiebreaking procedures not resolve the tie(s) and determine the automatic bid, the Conference shall utilize the final computerized ranking of the NCAA Simple Ratings System (SRS) to designate the Conference’s highest-rated team and automatic bid recipient. [5/14]

Unbreakable Ties.
If a tie remains after the above procedures are attempted, the NCAA Championship-eligible member that has been absent from the Division I Championship for the longest period of time shall be designated as the Conference’s representative in the Division I Championship.

Tie-Breaker Drawing.
If a tie remains after the procedure outlined in 6.03.02.03 is attempted, a drawing

SHSU with a big win, but SFA loses. SHSU and SE Louisiana in a 1st place tie, except that they don't play each other. So, the Southland champion could possibly be determined by the SFA-NW State winner next week. That makes a lot of sense.

my understanding is. .. if SHSU wins they are guaranteed a part of the SLC championship. .. But not the auto bid.

They could still get an invite with the win regardless.

However. . With a win and help from SFA beating NSU... Sam would win conference outright....And the auto bid

Yep. I think the odds are in Sam's favor. But, just the fact that rival SFA still gets to determine the Kats future is ironic.

Yes it is....in fact I read where a SFA student was talking about how funny it would be to "throw" the game, just to keep the Kats at home....that's terrible - but in it's own demented way - funny! Talk about increase the love between these 2 teams, if SFA does lose...legit or not, that would be in the minds of the Kats forever.

I still think Sam gets in if they earn a share of the title, regardless of what SFA does...the loss to CS-P is a heavy weight for the selection committee to overcome - but how do they leave out a team with only 1 conference loss and co-champions....

Sam winning against UCA isn't a given. The Bears have owned Sam the last several years (all at Conway) this being for all the marbles and being a home game (the SLC home win streak is still alive, even if they did blow the overall home win streak) and so much at stake - I think the Kats will win - and I'll be there to witness it - however it may go!

This was copied from the katsfan website...http://www.katfans.com/katsforum/showthread.php?18246-Southland-Conference-Verifies-Scenarios-for-This-Weekend

Southland Conference Verifies Scenarios for This Weekend
7-1 SCENARIOS: Only SHSU and/or SLU can finish 7-1.

1. If SHSU wins, and SLU loses: (AQ: SHSU)
SHSU 7-1
SLU 6-2
SHSU is the outright champion and NCAA automatic qualifier. Other teams are NCAA at-large candidates.

2. If SLU wins and SHSU loses: (AQ: SLU)
SLU: 7-1
SHSU: 6-2
UCA: 6-2
SLU is the outright champion and NCAA automatic qualifier. Other teams are NCAA at-large candidates.

3. If SHSU, SLU, NSU and LU win: (AQ: SLU)
SHSU 7-1
SLU 7-1
SHSU and SLU are co-champions. Since SHSU and SLU did not play each other in the regular season, the NCAA automatic qualification designation is determined by comparing win-loss records against the team(s) below the tie. A comparison vs. the pool of teams at 5-3:
UCA 5-3
LU 5-3
NSU 5-3
SLU was 3-0 vs. these teams, while SHSU was 2-1. Thus, SLU earns the Southland Conference's NCAA automatic berth. SHSU, among other teams, is an NCAA at-large berth candidate.

4. If SHSU, SLU, SFA and LU win: (AQ: SHSU)
SHSU 7-1
SLU 7-1
SHSU and SLU are co-champions. Since SHSU and SLU did not play each other in the regular season, the NCAA automatic qualification designation is determined by comparing win-loss records against the team(s) below the tie. A comparison vs. the pool of teams at 5-3:
UCA 5-3
LU 5-3
SFA 5-3
SHSU was 3-0 vs. these teams, while SLU was 2-1. Thus, SHSU earns the Southland Conference's NCAA automatic berth. SLU, among other teams, is an NCAA at-large berth candidate.

5. If SHSU, SLU, NSU and MSU win: (AQ: SLU)
SHSU 7-1
SLU 7-1
UCA 5-3
MSU 5-3
NSU 5-3
SLU was 3-0 vs. these teams, while SHSU was 2-1. Thus, SLU earns the Southland Conference's NCAA automatic berth. SHSU, among other teams, is an NCAA at-large berth candidate.

6. If SHSU, SLU, SFA and MSU win: (AQ: SHSU)
SHSU 7-1
SLU 7-1
UCA 5-3
MSU 5-3
SFA 5-3
SHSU was 3-0 vs. these teams, while SLU was 2-1. Thus, SHSU earns the Southland Conference's NCAA automatic berth. SLU, among other teams, is an NCAA at-large berth candidate.

I'd think if SHSU and SELA finish as co-champs they both get in...regardless of who gets the auto. If this happens, I can't see anyone else getting in....had SFA won out, then maybe....MSU is to beat up and to many losses, I don't understand the #17 ranking at this point...UCA had a chance til they lost to ACU...maybe if they beat Sam this weekend they will have an outside chance along with SELA getting the auto.

Kats win! SFA wins! SHSU gets the automatic bid.

yes... And the rains held off for the most part. .. had to put gear on by the 4th qtr.

Sam struggled to put it away then caught a break on late UCA muffed punt. ..

LU finished with a good conference win over MSU..

now to see if SELA gets the invite. ..I think they were ranked high enough to get in. ..

The funniest part about the posters / fans of SLC teams paricularly SHSU and LU...are the seasons the Kats and Cardinals ended up having.

SHSU - New coach. .. Lots of players last to grad..expecting 6-6 season. ... last to CS-P (DII) and was calling for Keelers job. ...now SLC Champions and auto bid. ...

LU - only been back 5 years after 20 years... has shown progressive improvement from year to year. ..finishes with best record in LU history including SLC...and they were calling for Woodards job

Congrats to both SHSU and LU - coaches...players and fans. ... except to the crybaby know nothing fans. .. yall don't deserve to celebrate these teams success. ...