Ferguson

CraigS

It is called scapegoats. 

The city manager is HIREDarrow-10x10.png by the council who then look at his requests for money/budget and oversee where the money is made and where it is spent. The CM is basically the day to day operations manager of the city and does the bidding of the city council. Now the same city council that HIREDarrow-10x10.png him is acting shocked at where the money came from that they voted on (I am assuming the issue is with traffic citation money) and how it was spent? 

Right.... and I have the Liberty Bell for sale, cheap. 

The CM is cannon fodder for the federal government to try and limit any further involvement. 

Anyone that doesn't believe that many or most small cities get much of their money from traffic citations is living under a rock. I don't agree with it but that is simply how most of them work. They figure traffic citations into their budget just like property and sales taxes. 

Also, all city courts that I am aware of operate separately from the police department including their budget and who makes their rules. Most of the many officers that I know do not particularly like their city courts. Although there might have been problems with the CM or city court, they usually have little or nothing to do with the police department and many times the police departments are at odds with the other two city government departments. 

To try and say the police department is somehow tainted by the CM or the city court is a stretch unless they can find some kind of collusion. The federal government looks into the police department and find what they think is massive trouble in the city court and they are blaming it on the police. 

Is the federal government going to try and force out the elected officials that set the rules, tone and do the hiring for the CM and municipal judge? 

I posted on here a while back maybe in this thread. So called Jay walking is all they need to stop you.

That is correct. All it takes is reasonable suspicion of a crime and in the case of jaywalking (which in itself is not really a law in most places but a generic term meaning pedestrian violations) it goes beyond reasonable suspicion and all the way to probable cause. Of course realistically in many times it is proof beyond a reasonable doubt but by our system even videoing it is not proof until it goes to court. 

@CBSNews: JUST IN: Ferguson police chief to step down today, official confirms to CBS News http://cbsn.ws/1GsBxGV http://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/575739547121745921/photo/1

Not really a shock no matter the outcome of anything else. The chief being an at will employee (unlike many patrol officers) is usually the first to go in any controversy because he is retained and paid by the city council which coincidentally are politicians and will have to again run for office. Chiefs are almost always sacrificial lambs bearing no evidence as to what has really occurred.