Excuses? Or legitimate reasons?

In high school football, you hear some things a LOT to help 'explain' things, like why a team lost or why the scores ended up like they did or why they get no love in the rankings, etc...etc.. Here are a few of the ones that come to mind and my thoughts on them. I'd like to know yours..

Strength of schedule - I know that you can tell a lot about a team by how well they do in losses to good teams, but expecting recognition or respect for losing to these teams is ridiculous. I mean come on.....you want to be ranked or given props simply because the team you lost to was TOO TOUGH?? Lol.. If rankings mean nothing to you, then ok. But if they do, then win...plain and simple. If you lose, expect to be given the due (lack of) respect.

Penalties cost us the game - I have seen many, many MANY bad calls, and many non-calls, in high school football. And I will be the first to admit that they can sometimes have an affect on the outcome of the game. But more often than not, the penalties WERE committed, so quit whining and accept the marked off yardage. It sucks, but it's part of the game. 

We had x number of td's called back because of penalties - This kinda goes along with the one mentioned just^^ above, but with a twist. There are 2 problems with this 'excuse', 1)If the player hadn't committed whatever the penalty was, then maybe that td wouldn't have happened..and 2) On those drives that this happened, how many times was a td scored eventually anyway? What I mean is, if the final score was 28-21, and somebody says "Yea but we would've won if those 2 td's hadn't been called back because of penalties.." I bet most of the time if you paid attention, or went back and looked at the footage, you'd see that those drives ended in td's anyway...so you didn't really LOSE those td's. Make sense?

Our starting (whatever) was out of the game - A team consists of 11 guys on the field at one time. If you have 11 guys on the field, then you are equal to the team you're facing. No one player should be carrying a team and if they are, then you have trouble from the start. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, not it's strongest link.

I'm interested to know what anyone thinks about these...or any others that I might have missed. 

Well if he makes 10-99 yards runs there is a 99% chance he will score on 9 of them.

Concentrate on the steak and not the potatoes HJ. Lol.. I was just saying that games are decided by score, not stats. I used an over-the-top analysis to make that point. Of course 10 99 yds runs would never happen without making it in on most of them. But if he fumbled.....at the 1............nevermind.  :lol:

What about when kville played WOS, and the scoreboard read 21-20 (I think) and Fred Ford went for a 2pt. Conversion for the win and the Ref. Said no good when the film showed that he crossed the plain of the goal line.......yea, I brought it up again d!...lol

Hey I'm right there with ya! :rolleyes:  I was at that game too. Everyone and their brother saw him cross the line except for the one that mattered....the ref. Lol.. So WO-S go the W whether they earned it or not. The next year we took it to them though.

Guest ECBucFan

In high school football, you hear some things a LOT to help 'explain' things, like why a team lost or why the scores ended up like they did or why they get no love in the rankings, etc.

We lost because we had to play a college team, The University of Kirbyville.