VIDOR PIRATES 2014 as I see us.

Watching the Orangefield scrimmage, I took away a few items for the Pirate faithful to digest this year and where I think we're headed. First and foremost, we're young. We graduated most of the o-line and a goodly part of last year's defense. Also, I understand their may be a decision not to use Geth Simmons at quarterback this year. Knowing these things, I have a few observations about us. First, we played three QBs Friday. Maverick Quirante started the first series, Dewitt the second, Ross the third. Offense needs work, we didn't move the ball well at first. I believe Orangefield's senior defense is solid and should carry them into the playoffs.
Second, we're sophomore young. There was never a time when three to four white helmets weren't on the field. We only have eight seniors this year (which I don't understand with a 5A school but I may be wrong). At one point, five sophomores were on offense, five on defense. Overall headcount of players was around 45. Our defense played admirably and basically shut OF down except for their first series, which took them about 17 plays to score. Both the offensive and defensive lines look thin but that may come from a hard summer of working out, which I know they did. This team looks a lot like the 2010 team that went 2 - 8 but lost five games by 7 points or less. There weren't a lot of seniors on that team either. If we get inspired and settle our offense in, especially at QB, we'll make some noise because there is some good,young talent there like Haylon Leckelt (soph). Now, on to the bright spot. The last series, both OF and Vidor put in their starters...our offense, their defense. Maverick Quirante (soph) came on as QB and took us down the field with some hard running by Blake Rowe (jr) at fullback. He looked crisp on the fakes and handoffs. Unfortunately, we fumbled at the three to end the scrimmage. Not sure who is gonna start at QB, but it sure was good to see a Quirante under center again. JMO.

So basically we want be hearing much from robandana this year.
Just going off of how he supports teams in the past.
Fair weather fan
Win he want stop posting , lose and it's on to basketball or baseball, whoever he thinks has a chance to compete
Smh

Smh.........I guess you missed robs several posts during the season went 2-8. Get outta here with that bs man.

So basically we want be hearing much from robandana this year.
Just going off of how he supports teams in the past.
Fair weather fan
Win he want stop posting , lose and it's on to basketball or baseball, whoever he thinks has a chance to compete
Smh

74 posts says it all...I guess I shouldn't do the radio show anymore either...going to other teams games is out as well...

will it be lumberton and vidor in the toilet bowl this year?

Nope, I didn't say that at all. "If we get inspired and settle our offense in, especially at QB, we'll make some noise because there is some good,young talent there like Haylon Leckelt (soph)." I have a lot of confidence in the Pirate coaching staff to make the most out of the kiddos we have.

White hats don't necessarily mean Jr/soph... means hasn't earned black helmet... could be from missing summer workouts, to being late to practice to any number of things...

I did my counts according to the parents I was sitting with and who they told me was under the white helmets Coach. We're pretty young this year....

No more Quirante kids should be allowed at VHS...1 was more than enough...there should be a limit under UIL rules. [joke]  If it MQ 2.0 is a younger brother, what big shoes to fill.  The original MQ left a large, I mean massive, footprint at VHS.  Nothing wrong with Jeff Matthews' system or long range planning.  Go with a youth movement, play those SOPHs in 2014 and grow with them in 2015 and 2016.  Tell the truth robanadana, is MQ 2.0 anything similar to the original MQ?

No more Quirante kids should be allowed at VHS...1 was more than enough...there should be a limit under UIL rules. [joke]  If it MQ 2.0 is a younger brother, what big shoes to fill.  The original MQ left a large, I mean massive, footprint at VHS.  Nothing wrong with Jeff Matthews' system or long range planning.  Go with a youth movement, play those SOPHs in 2014 and grow with them in 2015 and 2016.  Tell the truth robanadana, is MQ 2.0 anything similar to the original MQ?

Yes. Maverick missed all but the first game of last year because he broke his foot out doing what kids do. Size and speed wise, they're about the same as sophomores. No one knew Montana's name until he was a junior. I don't think the issue is athleticism but whether Maverick can match his older brother on vision and football smarts. You know what my prayers are for.....you all know how I feel about Jeff Matthews. He and all the Pirate staff have my undying support. I will be in Florida with them!

I did my counts according to the parents I was sitting with and who they told me was under the white helmets Coach. We're pretty young this year....

playoffs next yr if those Sophomores gain valuable experience this yr but dont lose confidence and see the bigger picture for the future.

playoffs next yr if those Sophomores gain valuable experience this yr but dont lose confidence and see the bigger picture for the future.

I'm not Buddy, just a realist. I want our kids to play inspired football this year and learn. BTW, I got PAM winning it all, I mean the BIG DANCE IN DALLAS!