Dayton Broncos v.s. Friendswood Mustangs

It was a good scrimmage.  Some hard hits and both teams were fired up (some times too fired up).

First series, first play Friendswood D forced a turnover and scored.  Friendswood scored on 3 of its first four possessions.  It was hard to keep up with substitutions, but Friendswood started making significant subs on D in the second quarter and Dayton was able to use some incredible speed to get the score closer.

I hate to sound like a homer, but I thought our ones dominated on both sides of the ball.  Dayton looked fast and illusive on O in the second quarter and the defense looked stout between the tackles other than two long runs.

As I feared our receivers looked shaky.  They dropped a lot of passes.  Our kicking game is also a worry and the scrimmage raised some questions about our depth at D line and interior D line.

Good luck Broncos

It was a good scrimmage. Some hard hits and both teams were fired up (some times too fired up).

First series, first play Friendswood D forced a turnover and scored. Friendswood scored on 3 of its first four possessions. It was hard to keep up with substitutions, but Friendswood started making significant subs on D in the second quarter and Dayton was able to use some incredible speed to get the score closer.

I hate to sound like a homer, but I thought our ones dominated on both sides of the ball. Dayton looked fast and illusive on O in the second quarter and the defense looked stout between the tackles other than two long runs.

As I feared our receivers looked shaky. They dropped a lot of passes. Our kicking game is also a worry and the scrimmage raised some questions about our depth at D line and interior D line.

Good luck Broncos

your not a homer. Friendswoods first string completely dominated. Dayton had 1 first down the entire first quarter and friendswood threw up 21 pts in no time. That big running back y'all have is a beast. Glad him with the rest of your starters didn't play much after the 1st quarter.That game had it counted could have been ugly.

your not a homer. Friendswoods first string completely dominated. Dayton had 1 first down the entire first quarter and friendswood threw up 21 pts in no time. That big running back y'all have is a beast. Glad him with the rest of your starters didn't play much after the 1st quarter.That game had it counted could have been ugly.

Offense helped them out w/2 real early fumbles and a later int by Dayton's back up qb.Dayt gonna need to cut out those 15 yd penalties but a cpl was hard to tell if there was an extra blow thrown after the play.FW I thought for this early in the year played w/more intensity,hurry up offense ran by as usual a darn good FW qb.Dayton Fresh had 2 scores & FwW Fresh had 3 scores.The bright spot for Dayton was the JV who had a super good scrimmage.The 1st team scored 6 times to FW 1st team 2.The 2nd teams tied w/3 scores apiece.I remarked to some fans about 4 of the JV kids should move up to varsity=They did & made some big defensive stops for the varsity.Real good crowd for a scrimmage in FW,most I've seen there in yrs on both sides.Good to see support out cheering for their team

Offense helped them out w/2 real early fumbles and a later int by Dayton's back up qb.Dayt gonna need to cut out those 15 yd penalties but a cpl was hard to tell if there was an extra blow thrown after the play.FW I thought for this early in the year played w/more intensity,hurry up offense ran by as usual a darn good FW qb.Dayton Fresh had 2 scores & FwW Fresh had 3 scores.The bright spot for Dayton was the JV who had a super good scrimmage.The 1st team scored 6 times to FW 1st team 2.The 2nd teams tied w/3 scores apiece.I remarked to some fans about 4 of the JV kids should move up to varsity=They did & made some big defensive stops for the varsity.Real good crowd for a scrimmage in FW,most I've seen there in yrs on both sides.Good to see support out cheering for their team

sounds about right to me. JV did play very well. I think a couple of those jv kids might have earned a varsity spot tonight .

1st quarter Friendswood came out clicking and we looked rusty. Edge=Friendswood

2nd quarter Dayton shored up the d-line to make stops and offense looked a lot better. Edge=Dayton

3rd quarter Dayton/Friendswood pretty even. Edge=Both

4th quarter Friendswood scored on us with a few minutes left with a big pass caught and stopped on the 1yd line next play run it in for score, after that wasn't much time left.

Overall great scrimmage for our Broncos I think they learned a lot tonight that will make Dayton a force this coming season.

Friendswood always plays us tough and didn't disappoint tonight, as usual  will be a force in their district good luck the rest of the way. The o-line/d-line both looked very good and the qb and rb were beast.

Go Broncos 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Forgot to mention that friendswoods backups scored late so actual score was 35-20. Not trying to rub it in, but since my kid was in for that one had to mention it.

who was that big rb that didn't play much after the 1st quarter. I believe he was number 25. That kid was big fast and nasty. He stiff armed one of our corners and I think it actually messed his helmet up.

Bronco:

His name is Sam Longbotham. Ben on varsity since he was a freshman and has started since a soph. Led team in rushing and total yards last season. He is a load and faster than he looks.

thx. I know with just a handful of carries he had around 100 yds rushing . I'm glad your coach rested him after the 1st. I bet he has a big year.

thx. I know with just a handful of carries he had around 100 yds rushing . I'm glad your coach rested him after the 1st. I bet he has a big year.

It will depend alot on the O-line.  They had  their moments last night, but their play is still too inconsistent.  Your three defensive linemen execute your defensive scheme well.  They are tough and disruptive.

It will depend alot on the O-line. They had their moments last night, but their play is still too inconsistent. Your three defensive linemen execute your defensive scheme well. They are tough and disruptive.

the nose has been on varsity 3 years I believe. He is a very good player. A couple sophomores played really well on the dline to. I thought your oline played very well the first quarter and your 2 tackles are huge. Every time I have seen friendswood they are huge. Your one safety look like a defensive end.

Was impressed with Friendswood they had size and good overall team speed. Receivers need to work on catching the ball a lot of drop-balls in wide open space and the center needs work on his hike's to many over the QB's  head. I don't know how tough the competition will be 6a but I do see this Friendswood team making a good run this season. Dayton had more rust to knock off and Friendswood banged a lot of it off for sure but that's what scrimmages are for. We need to work on our down field blocking a couple of blocks here and their would of resulted  in big gains, dumb penalties kept  "D" on the field and extended their drives. We allowed FW to turn the corner to easy I know that will change when we stacked our "D" with a few of our offense studs gong both ways. Our QB over threw some passes but overall looks likes he will put up big numbers this year. Don't see to many teams that will have an answer for McBride he is instant offense he had two short catches for long TD's.

Was impressed with Friendswood they had size and good overall team speed. Receivers need to work on catching the ball a lot of drop-balls in wide open space and the center needs work on his hike's to many over the QB's  head. I don't know how tough the competition will be 6a but I do see this Friendswood team making a good run this season. Dayton had more rust to knock off and Friendswood banged a lot of it off for sure but that's what scrimmages are for. We need to work on our down field blocking a couple of blocks here and their would of resulted  in big gains, dumb penalties kept  "D" on the field and extended their drives. We allowed FW to turn the corner to easy I know that will change when we stacked our "D" with a few of our offense studs gong both ways. Our QB over threw some passes but overall looks likes he will put up big numbers this year. Don't see to many teams that will have an answer for McBride he is instant offense he had two short catches for long TD's.

Receivers are a big question mark for us.  We had at least two deep throws that should have turned into 6 and a number of other drops.  Ironically, a sophomore kid from JV who was just up to get a look at the varsity level caught the only deep ball late.  I'm not so worried about the center.  He is a vet.  He had a bad day and some of those snaps were by our number 2.

McBride is a slick open field runner.  If you guys can get him the ball in space he is going to embarrass some defenses. He made ours look bad a couple of time.