George bush and the border

Big girl

Maybe because 8 months into his first term terrorist flew 4 planes into three buildings and one empy field.

Then he spent the next 8 years setting up policies to keep America safe.....

He also invaded a country in 30 days and captured it's leader Saddam Hussein.

He was a bad man. During UN inspections in 1998, it emerged that Hussein had had prisoners tied to stakes and bombarded with anthrax and chemical weapons for experimental purposes.

There weren't tens of thousands of minors streaming accross the border unaccompanied by their parents during those 16 years.  So, lets just clear the deck right now on all issues!!!  Let's just say right now that George Bush was the worst president ever!!  What now, with only 2 years remaining, will Barack Obama do to fix the economy, the border, and the ever growing multiple interational crisis that could throw the world into chaos.  Remember, George Bush is not president and he can do nothing about any of these things anymore.  Moreover, do not give the excuse that Republicans are preventing him from doing anything.  GREAT LEADERS overcome obstacles and galvanize the support of their opponents to get the right things done!!!  Now I will sit back and wait for the unsual morass of exuses and hyperbole!!!

Different......

It’s worth noting that there was a difference in the two presidents’ patterns of vacations. As the USA Today article noted, Obama doesn’t own a vacation home, unlike Bush, who owned his ranch. So while Bush essentially used the ranch as as a working White House, Obama has traveled to a variety of destinations, including his native Hawaii.

THE problem is a lot worse now then when he was in office.

But to this day I wish BUSH would have done something and maybe just maybe we wouldn't have the problem we are having now.

its the one issue I hold against Bush, but overall a lot better pres then the one we have now.

He was not perfect.....but he was a leader!

and still to this day did not blame ANYTHING on past Presidents

You know, it's funny you should bring up this subject. It was actually the focal point of one of my research projects last year.

Iraq or no Iraq, Bush tried to do something about immigration reform. Look up the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, which was a bipartisan piece of legislation introduced in the Senate in 2006 at the urging of the Bush administration. Its counterpart never passed the House because of partisan bickering.

President Bush talks about that legislation specifically in his memoir, Decision Points. It was modeled in part after the successful Bracero Program implemented by Franklin Roosevelt and killed by Lyndon Johnson. Frankly, it was the best compromise ever proposed in this country on the immigration issue, and it passed the Senate with a strong margin. Had it passed the House, it likely would have quelled the immigration problem before it became a crisis.

16 years . He was governor of Texas for 8 and the president for 8. You guys are saying he tried, but he was unsuccessful so you give him a pass. The President is trying, but congress won't help so you guys complain . Does that sound reasonable?

Not the same thing. President Bush put together a compromise that won bipartisan support in the upper house. The word "compromise" isn't in President Obama's dictionary; he prefers to make demands and then blame Republicans for their inability to pass in Congress.

The funny thing about it is, with the way the political landscape is in Congress right now, if President Obama actually tried a compromise along the lines of President Bush's proposal, he might just be able to get it passed and salvage his dismal legislative record.

I why didn't he fix the undocumented immigrant problem?

As a governor he had no authority as many on the left point out when states try to enact laws dealing with illegal aliens.

I can tell you from a law enforcement standpoint that when i arrested an illegal alien for anything (even a traffic citation) we could put a immigration hold on them for deportation. I stopped a couple of guys one time working at a local chemical plant after someone thought that they were suspicious. I had no crimes to arrest either of them but called INS (now ICE) and spoke directly to a local federal agent on my cell phone. Both had been in country for a few years and had been working at the plant. Both were arrested for immigration violations and brought in for processing and deportation. 

Today we can catch an illegal alien in even fairly serious crimes and cannot put a hold on them. The local agents cannot makes such decisions and have to call Houston and ask for permission to investigate them. Previously any INS/ICE agent could detain a person for up to 24 hours to determine his status. Now they can hardly even talk to local law enforcement about illegal aliens because the current administration has changed the rules of enforcement.... not the law but merely how it is applied or more correctly, ignored. To put it simply, under Bush or even Clinton, we could get illegal aliens deported or at least investigated. Under Obama that is simply not the case. If they aren't being held for at least a felony, they are free to go. They readily admit that they are illegal as they have no consequences.