Plez Atkins hired as HC at Beaumont Ozen

Per 12 News tonight 3-27-2014 Plez Atkins feels he's still Ozen's coach and has hired an Austin attorney to represent him. It's a legal technicality in that Atkins feels the BISD board hasnt fired him and  "Chargois" has asked him to resign. What a mess. The student athletes are the ones getting punished and thats sad. :(  

One of the bad things about a this is it will tie up the coaching position and not allow BISD to hire someone else.  If it goes on too long, then it will affect the season if it hasn't already.  I'm guessing they can't really officially fire him for cause.

Accountability would be out of character for this Regime; requires responsible Adults. The reality of this is if the kids would have behaved as many of these people have, BISD would have the audacity to suspend/expel the kids for this sort of behavior & track record. SMH
2 Faced Liars!!!!!

Banzai: Oh, Scar, it's just you.
Shenzi: We were afraid it was somebody important.
Banzai: Yeah, you know, like Mufasa.
Scar: I see.
Banzai: Now that's power.
Shenzi: Tell me about it. I just hear that name and I shudder.
Banzai: Mufasa!
Shenzi: Ooooh! Do it again!
Shenzi: Ooooh!
Banzai: Mufasa, Mufasa, Mufasa!
Shenzi: And it tingles me!
Scar: I'm *surrounded* by idiots.

The state of Texas is an at will state. Which means you can be fired without any explanation.

I was thinking teachers were protected by unions in Texas. We have unions where I work and the company definitely has to "show cause" to fire you. I think Atkins is telling the truth and will have an extremely strong case in court. He should at least be entitled to punitive damages for being approved and told to resign. If not for that, then for negligence on the part of BISD human resources for not pulling his certificate which clearly denotes the discipline he received.

The state of Texas is an at will state. Which means you can be fired without any explanation.

Could not this point be confused a bit IF both parties had executed his contract in that meeting with Chargios, Comeaux, Saveat and Norris? Yeah, they can still fir him, but doesn't the contract (if it existed at that time)have to be satisfied in some way - usually buy out. In this case - buy back.

Banzai: Oh, Scar, it's just you.
Shenzi: We were afraid it was somebody important.
Banzai: Yeah, you know, like Mufasa.
Scar: I see.
Banzai: Now that's power.
Shenzi: Tell me about it. I just hear that name and I shudder.
Shenzi: Ooooh! Do it again!
Banzai: Mufasa, Mufasa, Mufasa!
Shenzi: And it tingles me!
Scar: I'm *surrounded* by idiots.

Classic Lol

I was thinking teachers were protected by unions in Texas. We have unions where I work and the company definitely has to "show cause" to fire you. I think Atkins is telling the truth and will have an extremely strong case in court. He should at least be entitled to punitive damages for being approved and told to resign. If not for that, then for negligence on the part of BISD human resources for not pulling his certificate which clearly denotes the discipline he received.

There are no teacher's unions in Texas, Thank God.......

Teacher contracts are a little different. Most districts deal in Term Contracts. If he signed a contract then he may have some recourse:

Term contracts

• Run for a specified length of time that can be no more than five years.
  • Are automatically renewed unless the school board votes to "nonrenew" the contract.
  • Require that teachers be given proper notice of renewal or nonrenewal of the contract; if teachers do not receive notice, the contract is considered to be renewed for the following year. The Legislature recently changed the notice deadline from 45 days before the last instructional day to 10 days before the last instructional day. It is unclear whether this new deadline applies to the 2011-12 school year.
  • Can be nonrenewed at the end of the contract term for “sufficient cause.” Districts must have policies in place that state the reasons that constitute sufficient cause for nonrenewal. Almost any reason can be sufficient as long as districts include it in their policies so teachers have advance notice of district expectations.
  • Entitle teachers to a hearing and the opportunity to present evidence prior to a final decision regarding nonrenewal.
  • May be terminated during the school year only for good cause, or the teacher may be suspended without pay only for good cause. (The teacher is entitled to a hearing in either situation.)

Obviously he isn't at the end of his term, so if he signed a term contract then they have to prove good cause for the firing. Now if he hadn't signed the contract, which is what I read earlier in the week, then he technically isn't employed by the district. When I hired on I was told in April they were going to hire me. I didn't actually sign my contract until July because the teacher I was replacing did not resign until then. Technically I was not employed with the district until that contract went into effect. If he hadn't signed anything I don't see where he will have much recourse under the term contract rules.

They also could have signed him to an at-will or probationary contract. That would be unusual but not unheard of. Generally those are used for first time teachers and non teaching staff (maintenance, custodian etc.). If it is one of those then they still have to show cause I believe. the difference is at the end of the term probationary doesn't have the right to hearings.

BISD should know by now, any New Hires in the District are going to be scrutinized by the Media and the Public.  It's just the way it is going to be with the black cloud that is hanging over BISD.

In certain cultures, you are taught to be extra careful and dot your *eyes* and cross your *tees* Da man is always watching!!!

So, if you forget those principles of life that were handed down from generations ago, I don't feel sorry for you.

At will employee law applies when there is NO contract. Teachers and coaches have contracts. A lot of districts have a one year probationary period, however, when they can fire without cause. After that, it's for cause only.

And thank God there IS a teacher's union in Texas. Ever hear of TCTA?

Depending on how long this drags out in court and in the news, what happens to the football program? Can he continue to work as the head coach and perform any of those duties if he was not fired? This type of behavior by all sides is not helping the community or the school. Does anyone really care about the football team much less the image this is sending to all.

If he in fact disclosed this information to BISD and charges we're unfounded, I hope he sues the hell out of BISD!!!

Trust me Bluedove, but enough is enough with BISD. As I am not a tax payer of BISD I would be pissed at everyone accociated with BISD for allowing a contractor as well as employees to steal MILLIONS from me. They all need to roll no matter the color or creed! White, Black, Red, Blue....etc!!! The kids deserve more!!!