7on7 football

why do people assume 7on7 is about offense? even if ur a slot t team, your defense must rep coverages vs pass schemes. eventually you do have to beat a carthage, navasota, lake travis, slc, etc... you better get as many reps as you can working against no huddle/tempo/throwing teams.

teach/rep your friday night pass schemes/no huddle/signals, etc... on offense and your coverages/adjustments to formations on defense during the athletic period in the spring and your players rep them all summer in local leagues and tournaments. how can that not help???

only negative to 7on7 is uil wants hs coaches there to 'supervise' but not coach. let em coach too. the kids want to play and they want their coaches coaching them.

Great points!  I've also seen some Slot T offenses doing 7v7 to get extra reps with their timing of fakes, footwork 'and passing' with their style of offense.  They are not doing it to 'win' a 7v7 game and they don't try to compete in SQTs.  They are doing it because it's a heck of a lot better than not doing it.  Plain and simple.  It's the little things.

How many of the kids that played Qb for these 7 on 7 teams are big time college QBs or in the NFL. 

I'm not sure what the point of your question is but I'm betting that a couple of these guys played a little 7v7.

Drew Brees (Saints) – Austin Westlake
Andy Dalton (Bengals) – Katy
Chase Daniel
 (Chiefs) – Southlake Carroll
Matt Flynn (Raiders, Packers) – Tyler Lee
Nick Foles (Eagles) - Austin Westlake
Robert Griffin III (Redskins) – Copperas Cove
Case Keenum (Texans) – Abilene Wylie
Andrew Luck (Colts) – Houston Stratford
Josh McCown
 (Bears) – Jacksonville
Christian Ponder (Vikings) – Colleyville Heritage
Matthew Stafford (Lions) – Highland Park
Ryan Tannehill (Dolphins) – Big Spring

The question was asked how many team won state that played 7v7. Like they are making it out to not be worth it to play. Well 7v7 was made pretty big here in Texas and there are alot of Texas qb's on college and NFL rosters. So my point is it must be doing some thing good for these kids. Whether they win state or the 7v7 tourney.

I'm not sure what the point of your question is but I'm betting that a couple of these guys played a little 7v7.

Drew Brees (Saints) – Austin Westlake
Andy Dalton (Bengals) – Katy
Chase Daniel
 (Chiefs) – Southlake Carroll
Matt Flynn (Raiders, Packers) – Tyler Lee
Nick Foles (Eagles) - Austin Westlake
Robert Griffin III (Redskins) – Copperas Cove
Case Keenum (Texans) – Abilene Wylie
Andrew Luck (Colts) – Houston Stratford
Josh McCown
 (Bears) – Jacksonville
Christian Ponder (Vikings) – Colleyville Heritage
Matthew Stafford (Lions) – Highland Park
Ryan Tannehill (Dolphins) – Big Spring

They were "big time" QB's with or without 7 on 7.

How many colleges play 7 on 7?

Great points! I've also seen some Slot T offenses doing 7v7 to get extra reps with their timing of fakes, footwork 'and passing' with their style of offense. They are not doing it to 'win' a 7v7 game and they don't try to compete in SQTs. They are doing it because it's a heck of a lot better than not doing it. Plain and simple. It's the little things.

Celina comes to mind.

boy yall sure can blow a simple  question way out of proportion. i just asked if anyone had won state that had also won the 7 on 7 tournament. im not stating that it isnt beneificial, i said i dont put much stock into it unless all 11 are on the field. This doesnt help your beef on both sides of the ball, like i said it is for the skills people and with timing. i understand it helps with timing between qb and wideouts, and on Defense with the coverages. What im trying to ask was a simple question, he gave me an answer but it wasnt what i asked. You can toot your horns all you want i just asked a simple question. I remember a local team around here not sure who it was, made it a long ways in the 7 on 7, got their hopes up and didnt do too good come season time. that is just an example of why i asked the question.

They were "big time" QB's with or without 7 on 7.

How many colleges play 7 on 7?

Our skilled positions played 'touch football' every offseason.  Nobody called it 7v7 back then but the principles are still the same.  

And are you saying that these QBs listed did not benefit from playing 7v7?  Yes, we 'think' they would be big time without 7v7 but we will never know because they felt like it was important to their 'development'.  Not because they wanted to win a 7v7 state title.

boy yall sure can blow a simple question way out of proportion. i just asked if anyone had won state that had also won the 7 on 7 tournament. im not stating that it isnt beneificial, i said i dont put much stock into it unless all 11 are on the field. This doesnt help your beef on both sides of the ball, like i said it is for the skills people and with timing. i understand it helps with timing between qb and wideouts, and on Defense with the coverages. What im trying to ask was a simple question, he gave me an answer but it wasnt what i asked. You can toot your horns all you want i just asked a simple question. I remember a local team around here not sure who it was, made it a long ways in the 7 on 7, got their hopes up and didnt do too good come season time. that is just an example of why i asked the question.

Heres a link to the 7on7 state champs.
http://www.texas7on7.com/past-champions.html

You'll notice there are some Ted on there that have also won a UIL state title.

boy yall sure can blow a simple question way out of proportion. i just asked if anyone had won state that had also won the 7 on 7 tournament. im not stating that it isnt beneificial, i said i dont put much stock into it unless all 11 are on the field. This doesnt help your beef on both sides of the ball, like i said it is for the skills people and with timing. i understand it helps with timing between qb and wideouts, and on Defense with the coverages. What im trying to ask was a simple question, he gave me an answer but it wasnt what i asked. You can toot your horns all you want i just asked a simple question. I remember a local team around here not sure who it was, made it a long ways in the 7 on 7, got their hopes up and didnt do too good come season time. that is just an example of why i asked the question.

Did Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly, or any number of great NFL QBs play 7on7?

All I'm saying is that you don't need 7on7 to be successful.

Nobody had Google Maps and GPS back in the day but we managed to get from point A to point B.  But it sure is beneficial to have those tools at our disposal today.  Why would you not want to use them.  Your argument doesn't hold water.

college teams do it all summer(GAs run it). and every successful program (hs, college, pro) spends some segment of practice working 7on7 or pass skeleton or outside drill while the oline, backs, front 7, etc... work the run game in inside drill. usually 20 minutes.

if it wasnt important, coaches wouldn't devote practice time to it I assure you.

do this research... how many state champions dont do some form of 7on7 at practice daily???

Bottom line is, there is no data that proves 7 on 7 makes you a better team. Yes, more reps at a certain thing does generally get positive results. I guess one could argue that instead of doing 7 on 7, how about just hitting the weight room hard and work on regular football drills. 7 on 7 is taking away from other things. Also there is the argument of the running teams not doing 7 on 7, just the teams that will throw a whole bunch. Furthermore, I believe doing anything related to football is always good. Heck I like 7 on 7, just don't believe all the hype.

Bottom line is, there is no data that proves 7 on 7 makes you a better team. Yes, more reps at a certain thing does generally get positive results. I guess one could argue that instead of doing 7 on 7, how about just hitting the weight room hard and work on regular football drills. 7 on 7 is taking away from other things. Also there is the argument of the running teams not doing 7 on 7, just the teams that will throw a whole bunch. Furthermore, I believe doing anything related to football is always good. Heck I like 7 on 7, just don't believe all the hype.

Fence Post

BS POST!!! Anything you do repetitively will make you better at it. H - D you sound like Allen Iverson when he said, practice, we talking bout practice!!!! I will admit at first I did not like it until I coached my kids one summer. When the season came my 8th grade son played with a lot of poise in the pocket and delivered some balls when he knew he would get hit because we worked on a 4 second rule to get rid of the ball. He also knew who he could trust in a 3rd and whatever situation since he shared the QB duties with another talented kid who could run. Data can be misleading...... on paper the Dallas Cowboys are better than 7 - 9 or 8 -8, and the Heat should when every night, or the Yankees should when the pendant every year. Peyton Manning is in my mind the best that ever did it and he practices like it is imperative to do so. There was an article out about a month ago where other regions where complaining about our (Texas) all year round football mentality and said that is why they cannot compete with us in this region because of our 7 on 7 programs.

Hey clown I provided the info, wake up! I like 7 on 7.

First of all boy I'm a grown man, A clown would be someone hired to teach you 7 on 7 moron. You were the Clown whining about funding & catering. Seems to me you have a slackers mentality. If your team has your attitude they may want to think about 6 man. Next time you address me Son have some respect & you will get respect.
Until then cry Sucka!!!!

First of all boy I'm a grown man, A clown would be someone hired to teach you 7 on 7 moron. You were the Clown whining about funding & catering. Seems to me you have a slackers mentality. If your team has your attitude they may want to think about 6 man. Next time you address me Son have some respect & you will get respect.
Until then cry Sucka!!!!

I was so totally gonna like this comment but I'm outta likes for the day lol.

But +1 cam. You da man!