Why Is The 6A Running Back Not Getting Love?

Mr Davis

Why is Westbrook's running back Demarcus Smith not getting any love from our area newspapers, blogs, and recruiting? This kid was moved up to varsity his freshmen year by that coach Craig Stomp. Here's his highlights from this past year.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/2561394/highlights/84894401

He probably needs to win the starting job in high school before colleges start recruiting him.

I understand FWCoach but just go and ask the coaches and all of the people that have coached him or taught him. I am his father and my feelings will not get hurt after asking you your opinion Sir. I have been reading you guys" posts for about a year and seen nothing about him. He had 5 TD's and 2 TD's he threw for this year. I do challenge you just to see him and I can guarantee you will be impressed. Just as Mike Jinks running back coach for Texas Tech was when he walked over to me this past summer and ask me was #209 my son or when Jeff Shinn from Mary Hardin Baylor called him by name after camping with them and said have anyone offered you yet. I guess guys I am simply asking if I am expecting too much out of this process? Just a concerned dad about the process not at all in his abilities!!! I totally love and respect the opinions on this board.

Cougar14 I thank you for responding however there's a process I believe that the senior should get the bulk of the PT. It wasn't a running back in Westbrook's district or in our area that could have taken Justin's spot. The kid was just that good! Hervey is a great kid and is an awesome running back from 2 great parents and I would have hated if my son would have taken his senior year from him. I am Pro-Kids and want to see as many of our Southeast Texas kids get out of hear and make something of themselves. I am a Central Alum and want Westbrook, Central, and Ozen to be successful. This was in the past and still is the football capital of the world!!!

Sometimes it's good to pick some schools that your son is interested in and go to their camps also. The one on one time with the coaches and staff just cant be beat. Combines are great but it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. My son is a sophomore this year and we attended 7 combines and three college camps last year, and we got more feed back from colleges just by being at their school than any of the combines. The combines are good don't get me wrong we are planning more this spring, but a face to face with a coach could leave a better impression than just numbers and film could.

Thanks PNGDAD15

Combines are good if your son can run fast and jump high. Otherwise, you put him on side of kids that can and he gets shown up which looks bad to recruiters.There's a bunch of kids that won't be able to play in college and really aren't all that good in high school but they can test off the charts. Recruiters see those kids as having more "upside" than the kids who just have good film but test average, which leads to the "upside" kids getting the scholarships. I would personally suggest more satellite camps to first show coaches that you are interested in that school, second, it allows his football ability to be judged more. If he can run, jump and measures well then do as many combines as possible.

From everything I am reading on here, he can play.  School will come around showing interest and he will be at the next level if what I am reading is true.  He will also get the love you on here when he produces (not saying he hasn't already) but not to the point of recognition.  Many kids mature late or are seen as average until their senior year and they come out ballin.  I have coached many of them that have gone on to have excellent careers in college and even had two that were unknowns until their senior year that are playing on Sundays now.

• 2 weeks later...