Strong Coaching Pedigree

UTfanatic

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Lord, we are starting to sound like Aggies. Please make it stop...

This is my favorite quote from the Shag. 😄😄😄

Originally Posted by equinox
"I'll take hungry, motivated 3 stars over entitled 5 stars any day of the week and twice on Sunday."

What is this - is the squeaky clean strong program in for its first issue: June 22, 2014 - "Two University of Texas football players were reportedly questioned in an investigation into an alleged sexual assault"

And as some Texas fans on this forum know that if  they are questioned  by the police they are guilty - ohhhhh sorry that is only if they play for Texas A&M.

What is this - is the squeaky clean strong program in for its first issue: June 22, 2014 - "Two University of Texas football players were reportedly questioned in an investigation into an alleged sexual assault"

And as some Texas fans on this forum know that if they are questioned by the police they are guilty - ohhhhh sorry that is only if they play for Texas A&M.

No way it can be true. No one from Charlie's boot camp would ever do anything against the law.

http://m.statesman.com/news/sports/college-football/ut-football-players-questioned-in-sexual-assault-i/ngQQN/

Haven't we become juvenile and petty? Any player being arrested from any university is a problem. None of these coaches know these kids or what they are capable of. The self entitlement they feel simply from being recruited for a major university goes to their heads and some really think they can get away with crimes because of who they are. Pretty sad when you think about it.

Funny thing baddog is that I mostly would agree with you.

Just think it is interesting that when it is a Texas player we are talking about we are "juvenile and petty" but I did not seem to see you object when there were days and days of Texas fans giving A&M fans and their athletes a hard time when they were getting arrested or having other issues.  You can't have a one way street on this or any other issue man.

Fact is that college athletes have been given a pass on a lot of issues that you and me would be in jail, fired or worse and the university turn a bling eye to it in a lot of instances - happens at all colleges so if the one you are routing for has not had issues lately just wait and keep you eyes on the news cause it is coming.

Funny thing baddog is that I mostly would agree with you.

Just think it is interesting that when it is a Texas player we are talking about we are "juvenile and petty" but I did not seem to see you object when there were days and days of Texas fans giving A&M fans and their athletes a hard time when they were getting arrested or having other issues.  You can't have a one way street on this or any other issue man.

Fact is that college athletes have been given a pass on a lot of issues that you and me would be in jail, fired or worse and the university turn a bling eye to it in a lot of instances - happens at all colleges so if the one you are routing for has not had issues lately just wait and keep you eyes on the news cause it is coming.

Can't object every time since I don't read every post. Any player arrested, I have generally wondered how stupid can they be.

My post was all encompassing and you revert it back to being Texas vs. A&M. Can you ever see the whole picture, rather than constantly driving the wedge? Even though I give Ags hell, this is serious stuff and neither coach should be held accountable unless they cover for them. Sometimes the facts are skewed and coaches give benefit of doubt, but when it comes to armed robbery or sexual offenses and the facts are found, then they should get the boot.

Let's make on this clear - I tend to agree with you a lot more on this issue than I disagree with you.  I think that if we do not hold athletes - high school, college and Pro - accountable for their actions and that if we do not we are setting a lot of them up for failure in he non-athletic world that they must function in after their skills are not longer needed. 

You wanna have a serious talk about the issues and leave the schools out - then make sure that when the shoe is on the other foot you make the same argument.  Not just make a comment after you school is the one that is targeted. 

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=travis-haney&id=2606&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fmobile.texags.com%2FForums%2F5%2FTopics%2F2492316%22%7D&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_Haney_TexasTakeaways

SAN ANGELO, Texas -- A 20-minute slot for new Texas head coach Charlie Strong stood out on the three-day schedule at the recent coaching clinic at Angelo State -- one of my stops on a recent mid-June trip through Texas. The clinic is a 40-year tradition for the state’s high school coaches to learn from their college counterpart and was one of his first outings in front of a large number of the state’s high school coaches. I was intrigued to hear what Strong’s message would be in one of his first outings in front of a large number of high school coaches.

Part of the intrigue stemmed from the perception -- held by many of his peers and even those who know him well –- that Strong is something of an introvert, and that the social aspect of the UT job might not be his, ahem, strong suit.

Those in attendance didn't seem impressed by Strong’s time on the stage. Maybe it was coincidence, but someone let out a loud laugh just as Strong wrapped.

“I think everyone was shocked. It was that bad,” one coach told me later.

“It made me miss Mack,” one joked.

Another: “If I was the coach at Texas, I would act like I had bigger balls than that.”

Strong spoke so rapidly, jamming one sentence on top of another as if he were playing verbal Tetris, that you would have thought he had two minutes, not 20. It was difficult to follow his train of thought or discern the central points being made.

The bulk of the address sounded like something more suited for parents or boosters than people who also coach for a living.

An example: He said he intended to “put the ‘T’ back in Texas” with “toughness, trust, togetherness and teamwork.”

Or the primary mission being, “We want to see young men graduate,” and “We want to win championships,” because “there’s nothing more fun than a championship.”

I jotted “LOL” in my notebook when he told coaches “either you’re growing or you’re dying.”

What does it all mean for Strong in his first year at Texas? That’s where we begin my Texas Takeaways, which include FSU’s impressive new defensive coordinator, insight behind the Lane Kiffin hire and more.

Not a Strong impression

In the most connective moment of his speech, Strong closed by inviting coaches to visit campus, and he actually acknowledged the situation. It might have been a nice place to start; it was the only portion that didn’t feel rehearsed or cliché-ridden.

“We are the premier university in this state,” he said. “I know you’re all watching to see what happens. We have some work to do. We’re going to get that done because of the staff we have.”

Beyond that genuine close, Strong seemed to miss his target audience. What’s worse, I was later told that Strong irritated the clinic’s leadership -- including former NFL coach Wade Phillips, whose family is coaching royalty in the state -- by bolting just after his allotted time.

Whether he felt socially uncomfortable or did not care to hang around, it was seen as a slight by those running the show and those who had traveled to the West Texas town.

“He obviously didn’t want to be here,” one coach told me. “If he did, he sure as hell didn't show it.”

So what’s it all mean?

Well, it isn’t an indictment of Strong or what he will do at Texas. The guy has a track record of being an outstanding football coach, and most college coaches believe he’ll fare well in Austin because of his X’s and O’s acumen.

But those 20 minutes did highlight some of those questions that coaches and college football observers had when he was hired for one of the most visible gigs in the country. They knew he would not be a Mack Brown-level ambassador, but they wondered if he could up his social game. San Angelo seemed to indicate he still isn’t interested in messing with that side of the job.

It’s undoubtedly a story worth monitoring.

I mean, I couldn’t help but wonder how Baylor’s Art Briles or Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin -- the hottest recruiting coaches going in the state -- would have handled the same room.

Speaking might not be Strong’s gift. So be it. But not coming early or hanging around for a few minutes to shake hands and meet UT’s de facto minor league coaches? That makes you wonder how he’s going to connect with those theoretically supplying his next batch of players.

Don’t take my word for it.

“It ended up being good for Art and Kevin,” one coach told me. “How does that happen?

In the end, it was just one day, and Strong will have plenty of other chances with the state’s coaches. But it was an odd impression to make.

Who knows? Maybe he intends to just keep recruiting Florida kids to build his Texas roster.

FSU's defense is in good hands

To me, FSU's new defensive coordinator, Charles Kelly, was the surprise show-stealer of the coaching clinic.

I entered knowing very little about him and wondering if the Seminoles could weather being on their third DC in three years. After a couple of hours listening to Kelly and watching him interact with coaches -- even offering them his email address at one point -- it seemed obvious to me that the talented FSU D is still in very capable hands.
[+] EnlargeCharles Kelly
Kim Klement/USA TODAY Sports
Charles Kelly has a big job ahead of him as FSU's defensive coordinator.

“That impressed me,” one coach told me afterward. “He’s not from [Texas] but acted like he’s been here for 40 years. That’s not easy. We like our own around here.”

It’s not surprising, but Kelly was effusive in his praise for Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, whom he ultimately helped best in the last BCS title game.

“People seem to think that these tempo offenses are soft,” Kelly told the clinic. “You line up against Auburn, and tell me if you think they’re soft.”

After the slow start against the Tigers, Kelly said the Seminoles didn’t necessarily make any halftime adjustments. Rather, he said they merely cleaned up some of their alignment issues and put more focus on “eye discipline,” recognizing what Auburn was trying to do and then not getting out of position.

Maybe Kelly knew his audience, since Texas high schools mostly run tempo offenses, but he said he had no qualms with pace of play (unlike other defensive-minded coaches in his part of the country).

“I think it’s good for football,” Kelly said. “It gives us an opportunity. It makes things more competitive.”

He made the point that so few coaches make (or see): In the attempt to alter a defense’s rhythm, sometimes a fast-paced offense can undermine itself. Particularly, he said it can cause offenses to get in predictable down and distances -- which is always a defensive objective.

Insight into new SEC offensive coordinators

Kelly was also complimentary of new Florida OC Kurt Roper, whom he faced in the ACC title game when Roper was still with Duke.

Roper then spoke on the third day of the clinic, outlining how to develop QBs -- which is exactly the primary function of his new gig, bringing along embattled Gators QB Jeff Driskel.

Roper, for one, said he’s not a stickler for mechanics.

“I don’t care if you punt it left-footed if it beats the defender,” he said. “I think [throwing] is one of God’s gifts. You either have it or you don’t have it.”

We’ll see soon enough which side of that line Driskel is on. The pressure to perform is on both Roper and Driskel, in addition to UF’s head coach Will Muschamp.

“I think playing quarterback is hard,” Roper said during the Q-and-A session. “You’ve got guys who are trying to knock the piss out of you, and you’ve got to handle the criticism. That’s why I’m looking for a tough sucker.”

• New Alabama OC Lane Kiffin made a brief stop on the clinic’s second day. His flight got in a little late, and he was pulled from his Q-and-A session so he could catch his return flight. He was in San Angelo for two or three hours, tops.

“In and out,” one coach said to me, “just like his boss would do.”

Kiffin’s presentation included a bulleted approach to general coaching philosophy. He said each coach should develop a philosophy, even if they don’t agree with some pieces of his.

I thought the part of his session breaking down video was enlightening. He said part of his scheme is based on the Denver Broncos’ offense.

“He knows football,” a coach said later.

One other nugget: The Kiffin-Nick Saban thing was hatched last summer when Kiffin, before his final season at USC, visited Alabama. While at Saban’s home, Kiffin said he peppered Saban with about 30 questions in three hours.

Dissecting Clowney's struggles

Texas coaches of all levels talk, and I heard from a college coach that Texans No. 1 pick Jadeveon Clowney -- even before he had sports hernia surgery -- was having trouble acclimating. In particular, Clowney is struggling to adapt to outside linebacker in Romeo Crennel’s 3-4 scheme.

That goes back to what a coach told me before the draft, that “standing Clowney up” at linebacker would prove to be a mistake. Odds are, the coach said, that Clowney will be limited to a situational rush-end when the Texans go to nickel and an even, four-man front. How Clowney bounces back from surgery could also dictate (or limit) his role.

For the record, that coach told me he thought the Texans should have traded down and taken a QB.

“They still need one of those,” he said.

While I have stated and feel that the jury is still being seated for the Coach Strong review.  It does seem to me that at this time he is making as many missteps as he is taking steps ahead for the Texas football program.

That being said all Aggie's had better not count on the Longhorn Nation to crumble and fade away - as that will not happen.  A&M needs to continue to look forward and strive to develop a better program so it can keep the gains it has received and not blow them.  Or as my Aggie dad used to say "you either keep you rivals under your thumb cause if they escape they make a fist and punch you"!  

Hmmmm........no mention of Sumlin in that article!!!

Actually he was mentioned twice:

I mean, I couldn’t help but wonder how Baylor’s Art Briles or Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin -- the hottest recruiting coaches going in the state -- would have handled the same room. 

and

“It ended up being good for Art and Kevin,” one coach told me. “How does that happen? 

I really have no problem with this at all. The man has what some believe to be the premier coaching job in the country. So he's not as polished as some others. Like GCM said, the only thing I care about is wins. I'll give him a year or two, but it may be instant. Let's see. Mack, keep on digging up your anti-Texas crap when you should be concentrating on Bama and LSU. Texas will be fine. Appreciate the concern though.