Strong Coaching Pedigree

UTfanatic

Charlie pulled Johnny Shaw's offer. According to the interweb the WO-S coaches aren't too happy about that.

Here are some quotes from 247

quote:
Johnny is doing an interview with 24/7 right now.

Let me be clear Texas told him to take no visits because he was a UT commit. He did as they asked and passed up three for sure offers from Mizzou, Okstate and Kstate. Only now to be told this morning with no warning that his offer was being pulled.

quote:
JKB, is claiming that the WOS coaches are so pissed they are calling schools in the Golden Triangle to black ball UT. I hope he's just on one of his emotional diva rollercoasters b/c this would not be good.

quote:

Texas wanted the WOS coaches to keep them in the game with Deionte but the WOS coaches refused.

I play with a lot of stuff on these message boards but trust me when I say Texas has hurt themselves with this move.

Thoughts?

I just do not understand Texas pulling all these offers - they must have a plan but the way they are handling this does not make sense and I hope does not backfire on them.  

Cause unlike many Texas fans on this forum I like to see a competitive A&M as well as Texas.  I also like to see a competitive Texas Tech, Baylor and even Houston - as I like to see most teams from Texas succeed - of course against all teams but Texas A&M.

He also pulled Jalen Cambells offer

@LonghornScoop: According to Orangebloods, Johnny Shaw and Jalen Campbell do not have "committable offers". Similar to the Reggie Hemphill situation.

@HookemHorns2314: Jalen Campbell (3* S) & Johnny Shaw (3* S) Have both had their scholarship offers pulled. Texas now has 8 commits in 2015 class. #HookEm

He can pull all of them if he wants to. They can all go to Kush Station and play in the SEC.

As much as you might hope, he's not an idiot. He knows what he's doing.

Do you think he's burning bridges with HS coaches across the state? Also do HS coaches even matter anymore as far as recruiting goes?

He can pull all of them if he wants to. They can all go to Kush Station and play in the SEC.

As much as you might hope, he's not an idiot. He knows what he's doing.

You may well be right but remember he has not had a recruiting class higher than 33 (if my memory is correct) and he will find it very hard to stay on top of the Big 12 (10) with those types of classes - so in my opinion the jury is still out on his recruiting prowess - therefore the wisdom of pulling offers from previous commits.  His coaching ability may not be in question but you have to have the players to win the NC regardless of how good  the coach is - an is that not the goal of Texas fans the NC?

Also, the wild card question is - do you really think that other high school players are not hearing this - how will the fact that Texas is pulling offers already tendered affect their decision - we will see in February, 2015.

An offer is nothing until signed. The kid should not have ignored other schools and depended on UT offer. Maybe Strong read this board and saw aggie make fun of 3 star kids and decided to pull offers that were made by another coach. And I'm sure WO-S has power to black ball UT in the GT. That's just silly.

Do you think he's burning bridges with HS coaches across the state? Also do HS coaches even matter anymore as far as recruiting goes?

Who knows!!  We all thought we knew who the final four teams would be and who would win it!!  Yes on the surface it does not look good and I understand your question.  Strong was hired, the real UT fans and T'shirt fans like me are not panicking.  It always "comes out in the wash" over time!!  It will take time for all of us to know how good a xxx000's guy he is and how good a recruiter he is at Texas.  Maybe his gamble's will not pay off, and maybe they will. If you read my previous post, it will come down to coaching and winning with what he inherited and what he brings in.  It will matter in the next few classes after thin one more.  Maybe he doesn' understand recruiting in the state of Texas.  Again, I am not panicking and yes if he were getting all 4's & 5's then we would have more of a sense of security, but it could be a false security!!!

An offer is nothing until signed. The kid should not have ignored other schools and depended on UT offer. Maybe Strong read this board and saw aggie make fun of 3 star kids and decided to pull offers that were made by another coach. And I'm sure WO-S has power to black ball UT in the GT. That's just silly.

Just thought it was funny that an a die hard Texas fan just told everyone that you cannot or should not depend on Texas.  ;)

You are right an offer is a two way street and has to have and offer and acceptance to be a commitment.  

And I understand that coach Strong has the right to get his own players and should be allowed to evaluate all previous coaches choices - but how this plays out in the minds and hearts of other recruits reading or hearing about this is the (in Texas's case) the multi-million dollar question.  And in today's world they will likely hear about this.

The next question is can he replace these with better options for his program - that will be determined over time.

Just thought it was funny that an a die hard Texas fan just told everyone that you cannot or should not depend on Texas.  ;)

You are right an offer is a two way street and has to have and offer and acceptance to be a commitment.  

And I understand that coach Strong has the right to get his own players and should be allowed to evaluate all previous coaches choices - but how this plays out in the minds and hearts of other recruits reading or hearing about this is the (in Texas's case) the multi-million dollar question.  And in today's world they will likely hear about this.

The next question is can he replace these with better options for his program - that will be determined over time.

The offer is really not a two way street. The only one bound to it is the university. The only exception is when a new coach is hired. They are not bound to the "offers" of the previous coaching staff.

UT received two commitments today from Kirk and Collins Johnson. Measley 3 stars, but maybe Coach Strong can make men out of them.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/4/17/5624934/kirk-johnson-collin-johnson-commit-texas-longhorns

You don't want to burn bridges with HS coaches in this state, period, and if in fact Strong is doing that then he wont be at UT very long that's for damn sure.

The thing about Shaw to me is that he didn't see the field alot last season from what I saw, maybe WO-S had a better player in his position, WO-S is 3X or more a step above playing for Center HS. Hopefully he balls out this year. Personally I would have visited those 3 schools and called UT's bluff. And if Strong keeps pulling schollys you know who will benefit from it: not so much A&M but Texas Tech and Baylor will. Watch.

"@LonghornScoop: 2015 4 star DB, Keivon Ramsey, has committed to Texas via Orangebloods."

Getting recruits like this is why Shaw's offer was pulled, that and the fact that Strong didn't even extend it in the first place. Let's see here: Bonney(4* w/ about 25 offers), Shorter(3* w/ about 25 offers), Deshon Elliot(4* rated #4 safety), Keivon Ramsey(3*/4* with the best range I've seen this year). Throw in Kirk Johnson who will almost certainly convert to safety, and where does Shaw fit? This is Strong doing work, he beat 'Bama, LSU and Aggie for most of these guys.

Getting recruits like this is why Shaw's offer was pulled, that and the fact that Strong didn't even extend it in the first place. Let's see here: Bonney(4* w/ about 25 offers), Shorter(3* w/ about 25 offers), Deshon Elliot(4* rated #4 safety), Keivon Ramsey(3*/4* with the best range I've seen this year). Throw in Kirk Johnson who will almost certainly convert to safety, and where does Shaw fit? This is Strong doing work, he beat 'Bama, LSU and Aggie for most of these guys.

Aggie only recruits 5 stars.