**FRIDAY, AUG. 16 SCRIMMAGES**/Post Comments

[quote name="Farmer Fran" post="1425173" timestamp="1376768475"]
[quote author=bedelmon link=topic=113382.msg1425170#msg1425170 date=1376767786]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=113382.msg1425080#msg1425080 date=1376742523]
[quote author=bedelmon link=topic=113382.msg1425062#msg1425062 date=1376716421]
Cleveland's 1st offense scored once on a long pass and second team scored once on a long run. Other than that HJ defense looked solid. HJ did not score. Offense looked good at times but looks like some linemen are struggling with assignments. HJ did move the ball but would then get an offsides call and set them back. Cleveland looked like a solid team. They have a lot of speed. Line looked athletic.
[/quote]

Pretty much agree with this take. Cleveland is athletic but lack in offensive line play (not very big and lack agility) and the QB is not that great. Cleveland's defensive line played well. After getting their feet wet figuring out the HJ offense, Cleveland pretty much shut HJ down the remaining half of the scrimmage.

HJ defense looked much improved except for giving up the big play a time or two. But that comes with the territory when you stunt and blitz as much they did. Sometimes you get caught with your pants down. ;) HJ secondary missed some coverages at times, but all in all played well. HJ offense is still a work in progress. Made some nice runs at times but for the most part, was held in check. HJ was tackled for loss several times. What surprised me the most was during the entire scrimmage (1st and 2nd teams) HJ only attempted 2 passes, both from the 2nd team. HJ 1st team never attempted a pass. Looks as though Coach Dubose is really trying to get the Hawks to learn the offense before expanding on it. I believe this is the type offense HJ has needed all along and I think in time will be successful.

I saw an improved HJ team scrimmage an athletic but a fundamentally lacking Cleveland team. Cleveland scored twice, HJ did not score and the closest HJ got as the Cleveland 20.

[u][b]BTW, I also did not see a 21-3A district championship team on the field.  ;)[/b][/u]HJ has improved and I think has a shot at the 4th playoff spot, but they have a long way to go in regards to winning 21-3A this season.
[/quote]

Not even close to a district championship team…..Yet…. Remember, you guys said yourself the offense will not be learned over night….. But we showed signs of getting it down…. We will be right by the time we play a district game… Only been doing this for 2 weeks guys…. AAW, I thought you were biased, you come out there and walk along the sidelines like your somebody then get on here and take a cheap shot… Typical…. Just like on the Silsbee/Newton thread, this was a scrimmage, [b]only we didn’t get handled as bad as Silsbee did,[/b] and we are not making excuses for it. False starts, how’s that, caused a couple of setbacks, that’s our fault…. I know Newton is a powerhouse, but I thought you guys at Silsbee were too?
[/quote]

And here we go!!
Give it a rest edelmon!!

Don't even go there! There is a huge difference between scrimmaging the #1 team in the state and scrimmaging Cleveland.

One thing about it, no matter what HJ does or how much they [b]improved[/b] (insert sarcasm) they will still not beat Silsbee or make the playoffs this year.
[/quote]

But Farmer Fran ya'll were ranked #11 in 3A and was supposed to be a powerhouse. Just because a smaller school handed ya'll your hats you want to talk down to another that is seeing positive things in his team. I didn't see anything in Silsbee to make them ranked period. Their coach and AAW can make all the excuses and say what they want, Silsbee was far from any kind of championship football team last night. I was there and saw it. Were you?

[quote name="purpleeagle" post="1425183" timestamp="1376771684"]
Did Kirbyville scrimmage this week?

Any update on E. Ch.?

Any update on Jasper/Coldsprings scrimmage?
[/quote]EC and Tarkington
JV score EC 2 Tarkington 1
Varsity score EC 3 Tarkington 1
I did not keep up with 1st team scores just totals in my head. Correct me if I'm wrong. LOL
EC first drive was plagued with different penalties. EC RB Dory Roberts went out the rest of the game with an injury. It looked like a sprained ankle. EC finally got a rhythm down and made some good scoring drives. EC defence look ok, but offense and defence needs more work.
Tarkington had some good size and went well to the football on defense. Tarkington offense also had size and showed some good signs with tall QB that made several passes most to a tall #11 WR that would go to the ball well. One long pass on 4th down for a Tarkington TD.
I want to add that Tarkington played a very clean game with class. Good luck on your season.
All and all it was a good scrimmage that showed both sides what they needed to work on. Hope to see EC improvement at Silsbee scrimmage. It was good to finally see some football.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1425184" timestamp="1376772160"]
[quote author=Farmer Fran link=topic=113382.msg1425173#msg1425173 date=1376768475]
[quote author=bedelmon link=topic=113382.msg1425170#msg1425170 date=1376767786]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=113382.msg1425080#msg1425080 date=1376742523]
[quote author=bedelmon link=topic=113382.msg1425062#msg1425062 date=1376716421]
Cleveland's 1st offense scored once on a long pass and second team scored once on a long run. Other than that HJ defense looked solid. HJ did not score. Offense looked good at times but looks like some linemen are struggling with assignments. HJ did move the ball but would then get an offsides call and set them back. Cleveland looked like a solid team. They have a lot of speed. Line looked athletic.
[/quote]

Pretty much agree with this take. Cleveland is athletic but lack in offensive line play (not very big and lack agility) and the QB is not that great. Cleveland's defensive line played well. After getting their feet wet figuring out the HJ offense, Cleveland pretty much shut HJ down the remaining half of the scrimmage.

HJ defense looked much improved except for giving up the big play a time or two. But that comes with the territory when you stunt and blitz as much they did. Sometimes you get caught with your pants down. ;) HJ secondary missed some coverages at times, but all in all played well. HJ offense is still a work in progress. Made some nice runs at times but for the most part, was held in check. HJ was tackled for loss several times. What surprised me the most was during the entire scrimmage (1st and 2nd teams) HJ only attempted 2 passes, both from the 2nd team. HJ 1st team never attempted a pass. Looks as though Coach Dubose is really trying to get the Hawks to learn the offense before expanding on it. I believe this is the type offense HJ has needed all along and I think in time will be successful.

I saw an improved HJ team scrimmage an athletic but a fundamentally lacking Cleveland team. Cleveland scored twice, HJ did not score and the closest HJ got as the Cleveland 20.

[u][b]BTW, I also did not see a 21-3A district championship team on the field.  ;)[/b][/u]HJ has improved and I think has a shot at the 4th playoff spot, but they have a long way to go in regards to winning 21-3A this season.
[/quote]

Not even close to a district championship team…..Yet…. Remember, you guys said yourself the offense will not be learned over night….. But we showed signs of getting it down…. We will be right by the time we play a district game… Only been doing this for 2 weeks guys…. AAW, I thought you were biased, you come out there and walk along the sidelines like your somebody then get on here and take a cheap shot… Typical…. Just like on the Silsbee/Newton thread, this was a scrimmage, [b]only we didn’t get handled as bad as Silsbee did,[/b] and we are not making excuses for it. False starts, how’s that, caused a couple of setbacks, that’s our fault…. I know Newton is a powerhouse, but I thought you guys at Silsbee were too?
[/quote]

And here we go!!
Give it a rest edelmon!!

Don't even go there! There is a huge difference between scrimmaging the #1 team in the state and scrimmaging Cleveland.

One thing about it, no matter what HJ does or how much they [b]improved[/b] (insert sarcasm) they will still not beat Silsbee or make the playoffs this year.
[/quote]

But Farmer Fran ya'll were ranked #11 in 3A and was supposed to be a powerhouse. Just because a smaller school handed ya'll your hats you want to talk down to another that is seeing positive things in his team. I didn't see anything in Silsbee to make them ranked period. Their coach and AAW can make all the excuses and say what they want, Silsbee was far from any kind of championship football team last night. [b]I was there and saw it. Were you[/b]?
[/quote]
No!! I was not there.
These are just scrimmage's.
Coach's are evaluating players and  some kids are getting valuable experience that may or may not get on the field that often.

As far as Silsbee goes they will be just fine, once the regular season comes around.

A far as talking down a team, you need to go back and read about half a dozen HJ threads that have been locked or about a certain person crowning his team 21 3A champs. ;D

Good luck to Newton, in their run for a championship.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1425195" timestamp="1376775912"]
Coldspring/Jasper Scrimmage

Jasper  4 TD's
Coldspring  0 TD's
[/quote]Wonder if CS was holding back a little. Not taking anything away from Jasper. They should have a great season. Best of luck Jasper.

[quote name="griff" post="1425238" timestamp="1376784140"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=113382.msg1425195#msg1425195 date=1376775912]

Jasper  4 TD's
Coldspring  0 TD's
[/quote]

Hmmm.....interesting result.
[/quote]

My source told me that it was actually 5 TD's  for Jasper, but one of those was the 2nd team.

[quote name="Craxus" post="1425235" timestamp="1376783016"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=113382.msg1425195#msg1425195 date=1376775912]

Jasper  4 TD's
Coldspring  0 TD's
[/quote]Wonder if CS was holding back a little. Not taking anything away from Jasper. They should have a great season. Best of luck Jasper.
[/quote]

I don't think the scrimmage score means all that much without knowing which players played for how long and what plays were run. Jasper has been gangbusters in scrimmages only to win 2 games when the real season started and looked pathetic in scrimmages to go on to the state semi-final game. Coldspring is well-coached with some good athletes. I wouldn't worry too much.

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1425120" timestamp="1376755208"]
[b]Woodville/Huntington/Hemphill:[/b]

This was a very physical, tough scrimmage. Woodville dominated it for the most part. Though Hemphill and Huntington had several good drives and scoring plays.

[b]Woodville[/b] looked very good for a young team that most believe is on a down year. QB, Marqui Jackson, looked very good. As did returning running back, Phillip Noble. The line was a little shaky, but had some bright spots. The defense looked great. D-ends and outside linebackers dominated from the defensive side of the ball. Overall, a very efficient scrimmage for Woodville.

[b]Hemphill[/b] had a tough time running the ball, but completed several long passes for scores. Their line has aloooot of work to do before week zero. The defense was just outsized by Woodville and out worked by Huntington.

[b]Huntington[/b]'s defense was the bright spot of the scrimmage for them. They were very aggressive and physical on defense. The athleticism isn't there yet, but they'll work as hard as anyone. On the offensive side of the ball, try seemed to have alot of problems running their new double-wing style offense. Alot of mental mistakes and not many bright spots.
[/quote]

What scrimmage were you watching? Huntington got dominated by both Hemphill and Woodville!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder