Hamshire Fannett will they or won't they?????

Talking with some people I hear the HF has a good bit of young talent starting with K. King (QB). They will play in a district with 2 of the best teams in the state. They also have a big young TE who should be a good one. Could this be the year that HF turns the corner to becoming relevant again????? Thoughts?

[quote name="Jackthehammer" post="1419790" timestamp="1374112241"]
Talking with some people I hear the HF has a good bit of young talent starting with K. King (QB). They will play in a district with 2 of the best teams in the state. They also have a big young TE who should be a good one. Could this be the year that HF turns the corner to becoming relevant again????? Thoughts?
[/quote]

No. They were a better team last year then they will be this year.

I think they will have the same record as last years squad, if not worse.  The Horns do have a talented QB but he is much too young to have him leading them into the playoffs. One issue the Horns will have to deal with is a massive coaching overhaul.  Two varsity coaches as well as two jr. high guys have decided to leave Longhorn country for several different reasons and "one common one", not to mention anyone's name!  The power struggles and chemistry between the members of the staff will not help Horns. To many guys leaving and new ones coming in will be too much of a distraction.  Still a couple of years away before anyone can mention playoffs at HF. Lets just focus on winning more than one.  A streak would be nice as long as it doesn't involve someone with no clothes. It would be even better if it happened in the winning column!!!

The Horns are building a great nucleus. The program is heading in the right direction. The problem is that they are in a good district. Keep building and next year when 3A is split they will be back in the playoffs, if it does not happen this year. If they start games well and don't get down if a bad thing happens, then of course it is possible to turn things around and pull out some great wins. I remember the couple of 3-7 & 2-7-1 teams in the eighties, and I remember the turn around. This is very similar.

Go Horns!

It will be interesting to see how the districts split up. I have seen one person predict:

Coldspring
Liberty
Tarkington
Orangefield
Hardin-Jefferson
Hamshire-Fannett

No offense to anyone...but outside of Coldspring this is not a very good football district to be nice. And 4 of those teams make it? If this is what happens I wouldn't be throwing parades for any coaching staff but for the UIL. I have also seen a prediction of:

WOS
Coldspring
Liberty
Tarkington
Orangefield
Hardin-Jefferson
Hamshire-Fannett

Much more respectable here just by adding WOS. You can take some pride in making the playoffs out of this district.

HF better hope their non-district schedule is weak because I do not see them winning a game in district. Much younger and less talented than they were last year at the moment.

[quote name="Rizon" post="1419835" timestamp="1374128050"]
It will be interesting to see how the districts split up. I have seen one person predict:

Coldspring
Liberty
Tarkington
Orangefield
Hardin-Jefferson
Hamshire-Fannett

No offense to anyone...but outside of Coldspring this is not a very good football district to be nice. And 4 of those teams make it? If this is what happens I wouldn't be throwing parades for any coaching staff but for the UIL. I have also seen a prediction of:

WOS
Coldspring
Liberty
Tarkington
Orangefield
Hardin-Jefferson
Hamshire-Fannett

Much more respectable here just by adding WOS. You can take some pride in making the playoffs out of this district.

HF better hope their non-district schedule is weak because I do not see them winning a game in district. Much younger and less talented than they were last year at the moment.
[/quote]

Would it be that district if Buna were to go back to 2A and Bridge City and Silsbee were to move up to 4A? I understand about the enrollment but is it swelling or dropping or is it going to remain steady for the time being? If so, it will probably the toughest district in the State as compared to District 20 4A.

Silsbee and BC will both fall well below the 4A (or 5A as it will become) lower end enrollment number. Both schools will remain 3A (4A), but they should be 4A Div I which I would guess would be between 725 and 1000 and look something like this:

4A Div I (with guess numbers)
Silsbee - 820
BC - 775
Jasper - 725
Carthage - 735
Splendora - 980+ (may move up to 5A with growth)
Huffman - 980+ (may move up to 5A with growth)
Cleveland - 920

4A Div II
WOS - 675
HJ - 570
HF - 530
OF - 525
Tarkington - 580
Liberty - 570
Buna - 475
Kirbyville - 450- (may cut it close)

From what I see on the highlight reels we either need size & strength, or just more raw athleticism to get into the playoffs.  Not to mention a Coaching staff that can stick around at least 3-4 years, build momentum, and turn it around.

The turnover of coaching staff's has also affected the educational aspect of the high school.  From what I hear we have some pretty horrible coaches teaching the kids courses they have no business teaching and that the HS Principal is a very nice guy, but a weak leader and a pushover.  But that is just local hearsay chatter to me.  In my experience it's best not to take it too seriously until you get involve and develop an opinion yourself, which is what I plan on doing as my children start to get older.

Coach Harris was the offensive coordinator at Huntsville a few years before HF. At Huntsville got outcoached in a second round playoff game by those jokers on the previous staff at BEAUMONT CENTRAL. I have little faith in him as a head coach for that reason alone.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1420469" timestamp="1374375686"]
Coach Harris was the offensive coordinator at Huntsville a few years before HF. [b]At Huntsville got outcoached in a second round playoff game by those jokers on the previous staff at BEAUMONT CENTRAL[/b]. I have little faith in him as a head coach for that reason alone.
[/quote]oh man, I hope Soulja doesn't see this and faints  ;D

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="Jackthehammer" post="1419790" timestamp="1374112241"]
[/quote]
The loss of the great Dave Westfall is going to hurt the Longhorns

[quote name="Whocanitbenow" post="1420647" timestamp="1375394531"]
[quote author=Jackthehammer link=topic=112971.msg1419790#msg1419790 date=1374112241]
[/quote]
The loss of the great Dave Westfall is going to hurt the Longhorns
[/quote]
Thanks, Who?

[quote name="ECFAN#1" post="1420409" timestamp="1374355296"]
I know that HF will have a good soph class coming up and with some upper class-men to lead the pack, they could be very competing team in the next couple of years.
[/quote]
They have paid their dues. Hope you are right.

[quote name="Horns93" post="1419832" timestamp="1374123870"]you are right horns 93 , i was a freshman in 1982 when we went 3-7 not a lot of talent that year , danahere's only losing season that year . the next year  we won district but lost too sfa in bi district . danahere leaves , then in 1984 charley wilson came in and made 3 key players from that 83 team quit before the season  , transfer to another school and quit during the season. these players had all lettered and made all district honors their jr year we went 3-7 a dismal year (my jr year) , it took tarver 2 years after a 2-7-1 in 86 and a 3-7 in 87  to eventually in 1988 go 11-1 . i dont know if these kids have that type of talent but with the new playoff format maybe , i hope so !!!
The Horns are building a great nucleus. The program is heading in the right direction. The problem is that they are in a good district. Keep building and next year when 3A is split they will be back in the playoffs, if it does not happen this year. If they start games well and don't get down if a bad thing happens, then of course it is possible to turn things around and pull out some great wins. I remember the couple of 3-7 & 2-7-1 teams in the eighties, and I remember the turn around. This is very similar.

Go Horns!
[/quote]

[quote name="ECFAN#1" post="1420831" timestamp="1375466356"]
Does HF have Jordan Brown coming back or did he graduate? He was a hard runner last year.
[/quote]

According to the All District selections from last year in the BE he was a SR last year...

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/21-3A-all-district-football-4112627.php

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin