Is Rule Change Needed?

I watched the 12 yo Lumberton Little League all star game against Westend.  There were 13 Lumberton boys and 4 sat the bench the entire game. They each got 1 bat, and that's it. I would of thought the coaches would have enough respect for the game, the parents and more importantly the kids,  to at least play the other four players a couple innings. I sat and wondered what it would be like to be a player sitting on the bench after making all-stars.  I can't imagine that being a positive experience for those players. After all, they are supposed to be the best of the best. I thought all-stars was for the kids, not the coaches. All of the coaches kids played the entire game. You might think maybe that is because they are the best players for that position. I would disagree about that. There are SEVERAL players (including those on the bench) that could play first base better. I guess that's
why SOME coach little league, to make sure their kid gets the position he wants, but maybe not deserves.

Before you say I'm just upset because it was my kid on the bench, I don't have 4 kids.....I have one, and he was not on the bench. I just thing the rules need to be changed if it is TRULY about the kids. Just because you know ALL the rules of the game, does not make you a coach. These three coaches (including the Lumberton Little League President) should read what is important about coaching, and care less about winning. They put in play the kids they thought could win the game( even though their kids may of not been logical choices for positions), and ended up losing the game. The game that was so important to win...with the most talented group of kids Lumberton has had in a long time.

It's sad really.......not to mention they can't even keep the lights on for more than 3 innings.......

So....change the rule, or only play the 9 best kids the entire game while the other 3 or 4 sit and warm the bench?

as long as you have parent coaches, it will always be this way. and for a lot of the parent coaches out there, winning is what matters the most. especially at the older age groups.

the best thing is not a rule change, but restrict those who can coach. when I played back in the 80's, our coaches were 24 year old volunteers from the sheriffs department that had a baseball background of some sort. that may not be possible these days but it worked well then and you had no favoritism and the parents knew it.

I'll chime in on this one. Several years back, Little League was pushing for more kids to make all stars and now say up to 14 kids can make the team. When my middle boy was in LL, all of the coaches had the all star meeting and we voted on the number of kids to take on the all-star team. My vote was for 11 players. It's way easier for a coach to manage. I wasn't the all star coach by the way. My opinion is 14 players are way too many to keep up with IMO. If you have 14, it's a nightmare to get all of the kids in the game. Use to it was I think 2 innings and 1 at bat. Now, I think it's just 1 at bat if I remember right in all stars if you have 14. You would have to switch 10 kids in the game with 14 instead of 4 with 11. It's just my opinion on the matter. I would rather carry less kids if I was an all star coach for a 12 year old team. At the lower levels carry 14 if you want to. The problem usually lies with #12-14th pick anyways on who they are going to be. I've seen heated arguments and skewed numbers to get #12 pick. IMO, that's where the issues are usually.

It's up to the individual league/coaches to pick the number of all stars. I would say they probably need to change the number of kids they pick to where this problem doesn't happen.

Not all the coaches on the team have kids playing. I would bet, if your kid didn't sit the bench you wouldn't have changed your name and posted this!! The coaches have done their best in the short period of time that they have had. You have this in every little league around! Parents thinking their kid is better then the other. Just as you think yours is better then the 1st baseman. I was at game and the only reason they (lumberton) lost was because of two big hits from West End. Both were HOMERUNS one was a walk off in the 7th. So what did the coaches do wrong? Nothing.

Now to answer your question, nothing needs to be done about the subs. Or maybe have someone who dont have a kid on the team coach it. But im sure people like you would still complain!! The only thing that needs to be done is not to allow so many on team!! 13 is way to many but what is the right number?

BTW I bet he don't have anything to complain about tonight's game!! His boy played!!

Wish u knew....Obviously Sir, you have me mistaken for someone else. I have enjoyed reading posts in this forum for sometime, but today felt it necessary as a MOTHER to make a posting on behalf of some boys who really seemed to get the shaft. I know this is not the first time kids have sat the bench for an entire game, but I believe since this was an ALL-STAR game it was an especially hurtful situation.... To be chosen for such an honor, only to be left out at crunch time. I do appreciate your thinking on the number of boys on a team, I believe that warrants additional discussion by the league and hope they consider that going forward.

[quote name="wish u knew! Don't YA!" post="1416280" timestamp="1372220197"]
Not all the coaches on the team have kids playing. I would bet, if your kid didn't sit the bench you wouldn't have changed your name and posted this!! The coaches have done their best in the short period of time that they have had. You have this in every little league around! Parents thinking their kid is better then the other. Just as you think yours is better then the 1st baseman. I was at game and the only reason they (lumberton) lost was because of two big hits from West End. Both were HOMERUNS one was a walk off in the 7th. So what did the coaches do wrong? Nothing.

Now to answer your question, nothing needs to be done about the subs. Or maybe have someone who dont have a kid on the team coach it. But im sure people like you would still complain!! The only thing that needs to be done is not to allow so many on team!! 13 is way to many but what is the right number?

BTW I bet he don't have anything to complain about tonight's game!! His boy played!!
[/quote] LOL, Good Points!

Leave coaching to the coaches, and they'll leave being a momma to the mommas. The first problem is, every momma thinks there kid is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's all stars, coaches are gonna do what is best for the team to advance. In the words of the great Herm Edwards, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME".

[quote name="Sammy" post="1416403" timestamp="1372266379"]
Keith, i dont know what Stone you just crawled out from under, but most coaches around here just want THEIR kid to shine....Winning is not important.  Allstars is nothing but Daddy's Ego for the Best of the Worst.
[/quote]

Nice!!  If that were the case, I wouldn't worry about then. Heck I wouldn't even want to play, if we weren't there to win.

Well let me chime in on this one as the parent of a child who made All Stars from the time he was 9 until he was 12. My son was one of those players that was subbed in for his 1 at bat and one inning of defensive play. Was he the best player on the team, no! But he certainly was not the worst. In the Championship game against Groves National last year for the Major Division championship my son hit the ONLY homerun of the game, giving his team the lead and we did win the game. His reward from the coach after hitting the homerun, have a seat back on the bench son. Do you think that was fair???? I certainly do not!!! All Stars is and always has been about the daddy's!! By the way my husband nor myself have never served on the Little Board or coached a team yet our son always made the team. His ability should speak for itself and I'm sure when some of these boys reach high school they won't even make the team!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    geho
    Newest Member
    geho