Inside the world of baseball recruiting.

Nice article. One point not addressed was the ability of the university to change the amount (%) of the scholarship year to year, as well as withdraw the scholarship completely. In most cases your scholarship tends to go down the longer you are in school. In other words, they need the $$ for the new recruits. It's a cut-throat business.

I highly recommend that any aspiring college athlete get their academic house in order. There is much more money available to you in that area.

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1397481" timestamp="1366810344"]
Nice article. One point not addressed was the ability of the university to change the amount (%) of the scholarship year to year, as well as withdraw the scholarship completely.
[/quote]

Pretty Sure the Article did:

[quote]And once that player is in his freshman year of college, the pressure does not ease. Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis, meaning that each season becomes an audition to get tuition money for the following year.
Landry, who played at Texas Tech before coaching at Bridge City, said a mixture of grades, behavior and performance factor into whether a scholarship will be renewed, and be renewed at the same amount.
"My roommate (at Tech) Shaun Larkin, who was an All-American, got his scholarship taken away going into his senior year and he transferred. He had no leverage, the school has all the leverage," Landry said.
[/quote]

[quote name="techsan17" post="1397489" timestamp="1366811493"]
[quote author=GCMPats2 link=topic=111415.msg1397481#msg1397481 date=1366810344]
Nice article. One point not addressed was the ability of the university to change the amount (%) of the scholarship year to year, as well as withdraw the scholarship completely.
[/quote]

Pretty Sure the Article did:

[quote]And once that player is in his freshman year of college, the pressure does not ease. Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis, meaning that each season becomes an audition to get tuition money for the following year.
Landry, who played at Texas Tech before coaching at Bridge City, said a mixture of grades, behavior and performance factor into whether a scholarship will be renewed, and be renewed at the same amount.
"My roommate (at Tech) Shaun Larkin, who was an All-American, got his scholarship taken away going into his senior year and he transferred. He had no leverage, the school has all the leverage," Landry said.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes, I guess it did. I must have over-looked that part. My apologies.

Guest BigCountry66
I'm glad to hear people are now talking about the reality of recruiting.  I've seen kids go from a dozen D1 offers to a few D1-AA offers over one weekend of visits.  When you see that happen, it gets 'real' real quick.  So until you are signing on the dotted line with the cameras in your face, don't be so sure you have it all figured out.  And even then, it can change because even football and basketball are year to year.  You just don't hear of many kids in those sports losing a scholarship once they get it because it doesn't happen as often.  But a phrase that I'm hearing out of more and more college coaches mouths these days in every sport is, "We over-committed".  Meaning they offered more than they could cover and too many kids committed to them.  Just be careful and good luck.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder