District meet to Regionals format better or worse.

[quote name="hardball10" post="1391459" timestamp="1365128879"]
I know this new format gives more kids a chance to get to regionals but on more meet before regionals offers up another chance for injury.  Any opinions.
[/quote]

1A has been doing it for a while. It doesn't really give more kids a chance to get to regionals, the same amount will advance. It does however allow for kids in a stronger district to advance over kids from a weaker district.

The previous format that 3A was doing allowed the Top 3 from 8 districts:

3x8=24

The new format is 4 from each district to area and then the top 4 from area. Area is putting two districts together, so the 8 districts basically becomes 4 meets to advance to Regionals:

4x4=16

You will actually have 8 less in each event, but I like the move. Regionals has become watered down because you aren't actually getting the top 3 from each district in each event. Very often a kid will move from an individual event to join a relay at regionals so you might end up with 1,2,4 or 1,3,4 or numerous scenerios. Quite often it's not the top three. Also as Craig said, many districts are stronger in some areas than others. I know there has been years where I've had distance kids sitting at home that would have beat over half the girls at regionals and I'm sure there schools that can say that about their sprinters. Unfortunately for us, we run into Huffman at Area...lol. I think all-in-all, it's a good move. There are two things I don't like though:

1) The area meet should not be optional between the two districts if it is going to be in place.

2) If you make it mandatory to have Area and it gets rained out, you can take the top 3 out of a district instead of the top 2.

If an area meets gets cancelled, they can either reschedule it for later that week, but it has to be done by Saturday.  If it cannot be rescheduled, or if they just choose not to reschedule, then the top 2 from each district will go straight to area. 

Our area (21-3A & 22-3A) is not going to reschedule in the event that it gets cancelled. 

My question that I am not sure if anyone has thought of, is what do you do if the meet is partially finished when you have to cancel.  Like what if you do the 3200 and all the field events, and have to cancel before running. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    lufunom123
    Newest Member
    lufunom123