Do you think AAU is the only way Basketball players get scholarships?

Question do you think AAU is the only way basketball players get a scholarship, because I have seen lots of good ball players that did not have the grades for college , playing AAU off season ball and I ask this question because most AAU coaches want to be real coaches and they always think they out coach the school coach, and that's because they have  the best kids from the area . So i'm still waitng to see my first AAU sign and one AAU coach develop a player that can not play and make them a better player.
Players no one plays forever so get your school work or you're be trying to coach AAU one day and not have a real job, but making money charging aau

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="understand" post="1388442" timestamp="1364143680"]
Question do you think AAU is the only way basketball players get a scholarship, because I have seen lots of good ball players that did not have the grades for college , playing AAU off season ball and I ask this question because most AAU coaches want to be real coaches and they always think they out coach the school coach, and that's because they have  the best kids from the area . So i'm still waitng to see my first AAU sign and one AAU coach develop a player that can not play and make them a better player.
Players no one plays forever so get your school work or you're be trying to coach AAU one day and not have a real job, but making money charging aau
[/quote][color=red] Nope, you don't need AAU[/color] (1)You can find out when practice starts in the Fall semester and try-out as a walk-on (2) You can get you a trainer/handler who has connections to college coaches. They have the contacts and you come and scrimmage with college teams. But if you play AAU, some won't deal with you because they want full control of the player. Those are just a few options out there other than AAU.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1388581" timestamp="1364219818"]
[quote author=understand link=topic=110499.msg1388442#msg1388442 date=1364143680]
[/quote][color=red] Nope, you don't need AAU[/color] (1)You can find out when practice starts in the Fall semester and try-out as a walk-on (2) You can get you a trainer/handler who has connections to college coaches. They have the contacts and you come and scrimmage with college teams. But if you play AAU, some won't deal with you because they want full control of the player. Those are just a few options out there other than AAU.
[/quote]

AAU is a great way to assemble a charter school team.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1388587" timestamp="1364220639"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110499.msg1388581#msg1388581 date=1364219818]
[quote author=understand link=topic=110499.msg1388442#msg1388442 date=1364143680]
[/quote]

[/quote] YES Prep schools  out of Houston would disagree. ;) large geographic area. no wins. No complaints among their district. I wonder why? Little Johnnies were winning  ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1388610" timestamp="1364225074"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=110499.msg1388587#msg1388587 date=1364220639]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110499.msg1388581#msg1388581 date=1364219818]
[/quote]

[/quote] YES Prep schools  out of Houston would disagree. ;) large geographic area. no wins. No complaints among their district. I wonder why? Little Johnnies were winning  ;)
[/quote]

I think it is probably because they follow the rules and because they didnt have their AAU coach as the AD before they fired their head coach and replaced him with same AD and kept fired head coach as assistant.  Lots of integrity there.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1388639" timestamp="1364228236"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110499.msg1388610#msg1388610 date=1364225074]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=110499.msg1388587#msg1388587 date=1364220639]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it is probably because they follow the rules and because they didnt have their AAU coach as the AD before they fired their head coach and replaced him with same AD and kept fired head coach as assistant.  Lots of integrity there.
[/quote]Are you guys getting this information from a Fox News affiliate in Dallas? I'm really holding off from calling Tim Singleton to see if he will come on here and respond. Sheez!!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1388647" timestamp="1364229298"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=110499.msg1388639#msg1388639 date=1364228236]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110499.msg1388610#msg1388610 date=1364225074]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Are you guys getting this information from a Fox News affiliate in Dallas? I'm really holding off from calling Tim Singleton to see if he will come on here and respond. Sheez!!
[/quote]

Go ahead and call him. ( as though he would acknowledge any of it anyway) My "source" is usually pretty reliable about these things.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1388705" timestamp="1364241084"]
[quote author=Aces_Full link=topic=110499.msg1388696#msg1388696 date=1364239796]
AAU does not develop talent...it showcases it.
[/quote]  You should never expect AAU or high school to develop your talent
[/quote]

That is exactly what your high school coach is there to do, among other things. But you are right, the player is ultimately in control of how much time & energy he puts into his development. 

[quote name="Aces_Full" post="1388696" timestamp="1364239796"]
[/quote]That's the most spot on post I've seen in a while describing AAU. It's a great place for DV and others to find good players, and it's good as a high level of competition.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1388744" timestamp="1364249741"]
[quote author=Aces_Full link=topic=110499.msg1388696#msg1388696 date=1364239796]
[/quote]That's the most spot on post I've seen in a while describing AAU. It's a great place for DV and others to find good players, and it's good as a high level of competition.
[/quote]So, it brings up the question, when are the players developed? Hmmm?

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1388744" timestamp="1364249741"]
[/quote]I've also been told by the 'powers that be" that summer ball is their best evaluation time  for players based on its the closest measurement to college ball, as far as speed of the game, defense, leadership and of course scoring. So yall can sit there and  knock summer ball all you want to, it is what it is!!!! I learned either you accept it and  deal with it or get left behind in the past.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1388835" timestamp="1364305016"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=110499.msg1388744#msg1388744 date=1364249741]
[/quote]I've also been told by the 'powers that be" that summer ball is their best evaluation time  for players based on its the closest measurement to college ball, as far as speed of the game, defense, leadership and of course scoring. So yall can sit there and  knock summer ball all you want to, it is what it is!!!! I learned either you accept it and  deal with it or get left behind in the past.
[/quote]I'm not knocking AAU at all. However, I know that it IS a place to showcase your talents, not develop them just as 'Aces Full' stated. MOST AAU coaches don't do any coaching whatsoever. If a kid wants to get noticed, I think playing AAU is all but a must.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1389114" timestamp="1364346469"]
So, I'd like an answer to my previous question: who / how develops the player.......hmmm?
[/quote]Parents, coaches, siblings, friends, neighborhood kids, self (notice I did not mention government ;) ). It starts at a young age. From little dribblers to the driveway to middle school and high school. I don't think one person or entity can take credit for one's development. AAU is where kids can improve their in game skills and decisions, but I wouldn't give AAU credit in developing players per se.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1389161" timestamp="1364350797"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110499.msg1389114#msg1389114 date=1364346469]
So, I'd like an answer to my previous question: who / how develops the player.......hmmm?
[/quote]Parents, coaches, siblings, friends, neighborhood kids, self (notice I did not mention government ;) ). It starts at a young age. From little dribblers to the driveway to middle school and high school. I don't think one person or entity can take credit for one's development. AAU is where kids can improve their in game skills and decisions, but I wouldn't give AAU credit in developing players per se.
[/quote] Well,actually government is a part of any public school...hmmm :) So I guess we take out middle and high school  >:( Nah, just kidding. But you're right , no one single entity is to take credit. It s a combination of things that work together as a team. So we really can't knock the other ( AAU, middle school, high school, etc) because its a team effort. Good point Abe. I rest my case!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    voodoopriestonline
    Newest Member
    voodoopriestonline