HJ AD/Head Coach???

I REALLY don't want this to get out of hand... all treads on this have been locked. I don't want any wise cracks at the parents, kids, or present/former staff.  I graduated from HJ in early 90's, when I all programs were good... I don't live in the area anymore and I am very interested on what is going in my former area...Once a HAWK always a HAWK..  I would love to hear what the "word on the street" is...

What have you heard??? when will they make a move??? What you got??

Here is what I have heard... please correct me if you heard different.....

Last I heard is they might offer Sutherland the AD/Job.. I believe he was promised the job before he signed BACK on at HJ...

I love the man, but IMO......

I just don't know if he wants it or if it is best for ALL programs...
An AD has lots to deal with instead of just concentrating on just basketball.. I could see more than one parent from the football program complaining that the "athletic kids" are "pushed to play basketball only"... Its already happening(people saying the athletic kids only play basketball) and he is not the AD....
I know Sutherland... He was my former coach in football and basketball... I KNOW he would not do that.. but...
I really believe the WHOLE athletic program would do better if they hired a football AD... Someone that is new.. not a current head coach just wanting to settle, because really that is what you are going to get right now...

Someone REALLY hungry....someone wanting to make ALL programs better... not just basketball and golf.... someone ready to bring in coaches and shake things up.. these are usually 4A, 5A Offense/Defense coordinators.. Someone that is not afraid to step on some toes.. again JMO

SO....

Please no wise cracks... I just what to know what have you heard... What is your opinion(no parent/kid cracks) on the future success of the HJ Athletic Program!!  I would love to hear what you think but in a educated manor...

Go Hawks!!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Scatright" post="1382232" timestamp="1362347213"]
They may try to go the Liberty route and not release it.  I doubt it though.  The Beaumont Enterprise is a little more persuasive than the Liberty Vindicator and KSHN>
[/quote]
Whoa there, Scat, Scoot, Skud - whatever!  Nothing in Liberty County is more persuasive than the all 9's. ;D ::)

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1382387" timestamp="1362409745"]
I like hitman009... 8) 8) 8)
[/quote]How many accounts do you have? ;D ;D

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1382409" timestamp="1362412047"]
I promise with the good Lord as my winess, I am not Hitman009 nor do I know who that is... All honesty people..
[/quote] ;D ;D It's all good

[quote]I REALLY don't want this to get out of hand... all treads on this have been locked. I don't want any wise cracks at the parents, kids, or present/former staff.  I graduated from HJ in early 90's, when I all programs were good... I don't live in the area anymore and I am very interested on what is going in my former area...Once a HAWK always a HAWK..  I would love to hear what the "word on the street" is...

Last I heard is they might offer Sutherland the AD/Job.. I believe he was promised the job before he signed BACK on at HJ...

An AD has lots to deal with instead of just concentrating on just basketball.. I could see more than one parent from the football program complaining that the "athletic kids" are "pushed to play basketball only"... Its already happening(people saying the athletic kids only play basketball) and he is not the AD....
I know Sutherland... He was my former coach in football and basketball... I KNOW he would not do that.. but...
I really believe the WHOLE athletic program would do better if they hired a football AD... Someone that is new.. not a current head coach just wanting to settle, because really that is what you are going to get right now...

Someone REALLY hungry....someone wanting to make ALL programs better... not just basketball and golf.... someone ready to bring in coaches and shake things up.. these are usually 4A, 5A Offense/Defense coordinators.. Someone that is not afraid to step on some toes.. again JMO

SO....

Please no wise cracks... I just what to know what have you heard... What is your opinion(no parent/kid cracks) on the future success of the HJ Athletic Program!!  I would love to hear what you think but in a educated manor...

Go Hawks!![/quote]

What is the difference between a basketball coach being AD and a football coach being AD?  Does a football coach care more for the overall program than the basketball coach?  Not trying to stir it up but, just asking an honest question based on what you posted.  Funny that you say that the better athletes are pushed to play basketball only because the HJ basketball program saw between 8-12 kids not play this year that played last year and several were going to be contributors on the varsity team.  They all had the same reason for not playing:  to get ready for football next year.  I don't think it matters what sport you coach, that has no bearing on your care for the overall athletic program.  By the sound of your post perhaps schools should make the AD positions split from coaching positions.

I think traditionally the good football coaches want the AD spot also. I dont see a really good proven coach coming over and not being able to get the AD position as well. I dont know why Todd would want it, from what I understand he makes the same amount of money as the AD anyway, why would he want more responsibilities and make basically the same money he is making now unless my information was bad... Also think about this, have you seen the basketball weight room? Compare that to the football weight room... Its bass ackwards... We need an AD/Football guy who is not going to come in here and lay down to the basketball program. Dont get me wrong, I wish Todd Sutherland would take the football program. If he gets the AD, letsdo that! We have probably the best basketball coach and program in the state along with the best facilities, lets get or football program where our basketball program is... We have a golf guy, a basketball guy, a baseball guy, how about a football guy...

Apparently you haven't been in the football weight room lately.  They have the newest, best equipment around and it is 5 times the size of the indoor sports weight room.  How has football laid down to basketball?  Don't just come on here and make generalizations.  It's not fair to the school or the kids.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1382434" timestamp="1362415143"]
[quote]I REALLY don't want this to get out of hand... all treads on this have been locked. I don't want any wise cracks at the parents, kids, or present/former staff.  I graduated from HJ in early 90's, when I all programs were good... I don't live in the area anymore and I am very interested on what is going in my former area...Once a HAWK always a HAWK..  I would love to hear what the "word on the street" is...

SO....

Go Hawks!![/quote]

What is the difference between a basketball coach being AD and a football coach being AD?  Does a football coach care more for the overall program than the basketball coach?  Not trying to stir it up but, just asking an honest question based on what you posted.  Funny that you say that the better athletes are pushed to play basketball only because the HJ basketball program saw between 8-12 kids not play this year that played last year and several were going to be contributors on the varsity team.  They all had the same reason for not playing:  to get ready for football next year.  I don't think it matters what sport you coach, that has no bearing on your care for the overall athletic program.  By the sound of your post perhaps schools should make the AD positions split from coaching positions.
[/quote]Honestly I believe the best person to be AD of a high school is someone not coaching any sport.  He is just the Athletic Director.. That way he can concentrate on all programs.

As for a basketball coach being AD, basketball is in mid-season sport.  Usually preparations and problems start stirring up around that time.  Orders for next year, budget crunches, coaching assignments, off season programs, UIL, ect.. All come during this time. I am sure that during that time he wants to concentrate on JUST basketball and not have to deal with the added stress and deal with the community during that time not to mention the after hour responsibilities and what is going on during football.. last 2 weeks of football and playoffs are when basketball starts.. 
Most football coaches want the AD job.  Most will not even apply if the AD job is not included...

As for the athletes.. bosha is very athletic.. you cant tell me he would not help the football program..

See Lazeek, thats what Im talking about. Your supposed to be this big HJ fan that knows everything HJ and you dont. I was on the comittee of parents that went out and helped raise $35,000 for our baseball program that know one cares about. We actually gave $10,000 to coach Martel to get weights for all athletes!!! We had them put the new stuff in the football weight room where our non basketball kids could use them... Thats my point, what did the baseball team and football team get out of the millions of dollars of bond money? Nothing..... The parents had to go do it. What did the basketball program get, state of the art weight room, what 4 gyms? Why dont you get back on the basketball thread and leave us "bottom feeding" football parents alone...

I know plenty about what went on.  "State of the art weight room"?  It is not even 500 sq. ft. and it was originally set aside for a trainers space.  However, the trainer was willing to give up space so there could be an indoor weight room for all indoor sports.  BTW, Coach Martel was the biggest advocate of this because it gave HJ two weight rooms instead of one and would create more time and room for football to use the larger weight room.  The bond money was for a new school.  When building a new school and moving a junior high over to the old high school then you have to build new gyms.  Make sure you have your facts straight.  The new high school has two gyms, just like the old one did.  Lets not forget, that before new gyms or new schools or anything HJ decided to build a new football field house.  Have we forgotten that already?  That field house is barely 10 years old.  Was anyone griping when HJ decided to spend money on ONLY a football facility?  No.

You can continue to try to make your argument as one sided as you want.  That is not what I chimed in for.  Those who know the real facts know the real facts and that is ultimately what matters.  What you and I or anyone else on this message board says will have ZERO bearing on the decision that HJ makes.

Hitman,

An AD job is year around regardless of the sport in season.  One could make the argument that HJ needs to hire just a football coach so that all that guy has to concentrate on is football and turning the program around and nothing else. 

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1382523" timestamp="1362429712"]
Can we get a list please?  ;D
[/quote]The list is more closely guarded than Fort Knox ;D

[quote name="Farmer Fran" post="1382524" timestamp="1362429846"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=109970.msg1382523#msg1382523 date=1362429712]
Can we get a list please?  ;D
[/quote]The list is more closely guarded than Fort Knox ;D
[/quote]Im starting to get the feeling Todd Dodge is on the list. sheesh  ;D

[quote]Im sure David was a huge advocate for that. He should have been pushing for a new field, or baseball field or something to benefit the programs that always get budget cuts or overlooked...[/quote]

Check into what was on the original list of things on that bond issue.  Unfortunately, the community was only going to support a particular amount on the bond that passed to build the new school.  When you are passing a bond that has to re vamp different parts of four campuses and build an entire new school then the school buildings themselves take precedence over football fields.  Besides the fact that there is nothing wrong with our football field.  The stands were replaced in the late 90's with brand new stands.  The scoreboard was updated this year.  Unfortunately, the baseball and softball fields being included in the first bond would have resulted in failure of the bond.  However, I agree that we do need our own baseball and softball fields, it has nothing to do with basketball.

Every sport's budget has been cut over the last four years.  It has nothing to do with any particular sport....it has to do with the legislature cutting funding to the schools.  However, per my brother in law, the basketball budget has been cut almost 60% in the last three years.  All sports have been affected by budget cuts and it has nothing to do with preferring one sport of another.

Hey Lazeek,

The district did not pay for the stands at HJ.  That was done through a donation by Coca-Cola.  The scoreboard was re- wrapped with an overlay.  Yes, every sport has seen cuts.  The basketball program is lucky to have the donors and sponsors that help them overcome their budget shortcomings.  If you want to find out about what is spent at the school on sports first-hand instead of from your sources in the basketball program and a Administrator, come to the Athletic Booster Club meetings and hear what ALL the coaches needs are for their sports.  You won't get lost in the crowd since we only have about 4 people show up (and that's just the club's Board members) along with a few coaches.

Hope to see you there!

Chasmack,

My point was not who paid for the stands.  My point was to counter the thought that particular sports get everything while some get nothing.  My brother in law speaks very highly of the booster club and all they have done for ALL sports during these budget cuts.  Yes, the basketball program does have sponsors and donors.  Those sponsors and donors didn't just show up at the door.  They go out and work to get those sponsorships.  Just like football and baseball do with the signs hanging around the fields.  Just tired of the blatant lie that some sports are treated better than others because it just simply isn't true.

BlueOwl,
You haven't played basketball since junior high, so how would you know if basketball has everything it needs.  Get with someone knowledgeable about how district cuts happen before you say things like that.

Lazeek, every time you post something, it proves my theory... You guys are actually good with the thought that our basketball coach should be the AD... I believe that would hurt our football program because now your not going to get a quality coach... AD's are traditionally football coaches and they want that title... [u][i][b]Just tired of the blatant lie that some sports are treated better than others because it just simply isn't true.[/b][/i][/u]
Then why would we ever consider giving our AD title to our basketball coach when we live in a state where FOOTBALL is king? Because basketball is the only sport that matters at HJ...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317