Tamara Abalde SLC Lady Basketball Player of the Week

The Southland Conference announced the women's basketball player of the week today with Lamar freshman Tamara Abalde claiming her first career weekly award and Lamar's first of the 2007-08 season. 

Tamara Abalde, Lamar, Fr., 6’2, Guard, Vigo, Spain

Freshman Tamara Abalde tied the Lady Cardinals single game scoring record of 44 points, knocking down 78 percent of her shots (14-18) from the field and sinking all 13 of her free throws in Lamar's 71-47 win over Wiley College on Saturday. She tied the record set by Lara Webb who poured in 44 points against TCU on March 3, 1996. She also had eight rebounds, two steals and a block in the game.

Honorable Mention: Maryann Abanobi, UTA; Kristy Carlin, SLU; Lydia Gonzales, SHSU.

Freshman honored for record setting performance

Nov. 27, 2007

BEAUMONT - After her record setting performance against Wiley College on Saturday, Lamar University women's basketball player Tamara Abalde was named the Southland Conference Player of the Week.

Abalde, a 6-2 guard from Vigo, Spain, tied the Lady Cardinals single game scoring record of 44 points, knocking down 78 percent of her shots (14-18) from the field and sinking all 13 of her free throws in Lamar's 71-47 win over Wiley. She tied the record set by Lara Webb who poured in 44 points against TCU on March 3, 1996. She also had eight rebounds, two steals and a block in the game.

Abalde leads Lamar and the SLC in scoring this season, averaging 19.5 points per game, while grabbing 7.3 rebounds per game, which ranks second on the team. She has been LU's leading threat from behind the three point arc this season, knocking down 11 threes at a .379 percentage.

Abalde and the Lady Cardinals take on IUPUI tonight at 7 p.m. at the Montagne Center. After tonight's game the Lamar will return to action on Saturday afternoon when they take on the Chicago State Cougars at 2 p.m. in Chicago, Ill.

Guest abovetherim

The wife and I are going to watch the ladies tonight. Yes, she and all the ladies are a treat to watch. The team they are playing has a 6-5 C. I hope the guards shoot well because the paint will be hard to get into with someone that big.

Haha that 6-5 girl was funny. She scored on some open layups, but she didn't have much of a shot if she wasn't using the backboard. She's just a BIG body in the middle. Probably over 250.

Guest abovetherim

After watching the game I totally agree with you mffl. She was just a HUGE woman who Brittney Williams dominated. Good game for the ladies and I'm so happy they won. They are improving everytime I was them play. This could be a pretty good team come Feb/March.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86