Useless Knowledge

Hagar

As I've posted before, my daughter labeled me as a walking encyclopedia of useless knowledge.  Just read an article in our Tx Electrical co-op magazine I wanted to share.  In our current society, we feel a slight bit of angst in sending a 6 & 10 year old out to play, or heaven forbid, getting far from the house.  Here's a Readers Digest version of two boys in 1910.

Their father, Texan Jack "Catch'em Alive" Abernathy, was a US Marshal who had ridden up San Juan Hill with Teddy Roosevelt.  Roosevelt was in Europe & sch to return to New York where a big parade would be waiting.  Mr. Abernathy's boys wanted to go, so Jack gave them a rough map of how to get there, on horseback.  They traveled from Frederick, Ok to NY.  The oldest, Louis "Bud" Abernathy (10) had a checkbook with $500 available for emergencies.  Temple Abernathy's (6) horse died before they got out of Ok, so Bud bought him another.  Two months later they saw the New York skyline.  The boys had become newsworthy and the eastern papers were full of their adventure.  Their father was waiting in NY, and they rode in the Parade for President Roosevelt with the Roughriders.  

Times have changed.

Also I heard a story about how this old and tough cattleman, needed some help  with a cattle drive so he hired all the boys 14 years and younger to drive the heard. Some cattle rustlers shot the old rancher,  but the kids killed all the rustlers and got the cattle to market.
I wonder if the father "Texas Jack catch em alive" was part of that group?
:) 

6 hours ago, jv_coach said:

Also I heard a story about how this old and tough cattleman, needed some help  with a cattle drive so he hired all the boys 14 years and younger to drive the heard. Some cattle rustlers shot the old rancher,  but the kids killed all the rustlers and got the cattle to market.
I wonder if the father "Texas Jack catch em alive" was part of that group?
:)

Just watched that movie (Cowboys) last week.  First time in a Long time.  I know when my Dad was 10 (in 1920) his Dad died, and he had to quit school and go to work to help his Mom & 2 younger sisters.  Today, we probably coddle our kids to much.  I made sure my minded, but things are just different now.  And yes, I did too.