Strength of schedule

Does it matter!  All we heard last year after Silsbee beat HJ was that Silsbee had played a much tougher schedule and that made the difference.  Correct me if i am wrong, but didn't they both make it to reg tourn. and lose to the same team?  I think too much is being made about strength of schedule.

Silsbee was one of the smallest teams in 3a  and I think for silsbee making their schedule tough did make the difference in their run last year even though they lost on a controversial call at the end to la vega 2 years ago silsbee lost to a huge Sealy team pretty bad Sealy height killed silsbee but before that game silsbee blew out kountze in a warm up game , the difference was kountze had no height either and tried to run with silsbee and could not so the tigers beefed up their schedule with a lot of bigger teams and stronger teams it helped the tigers a lot in their playoff run beating a big and talented brookshire royal team ,the tigers were teased a lot about being a small team but people were shocked that they played so well together , they were the only 3a team in the 4a 5a bracket in the Sherman tournament and this year they won it so strenght of schedule means a lot.

I think your schedule plays some into it. I prefer to watch Silsbee play teams like Nederland, Westbrook, Central, and Sherman Tourney vs playing in the Big Sandy Classic and Woodville tourney. Play teams that  can help you get better. Dont play in easy tourneys where you can beat everyone by 40! HJ plays quality teams too! Their tourney had Humble and a few other good schools. The East Chambers tourney was kind of easy for them though. IMO id like to see a local tourney with HJ,, Central, Silsbee, Nederland, Memorial, Ozen, Kountze, and West Orange. Mix  a few Houston schools and youll have something. Forget classifications. Letem hoop is a 3 day tourney. HJ is scared of YMBL!

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1360632" timestamp="1357157024"]
I think your schedule plays some into it. I prefer to watch Silsbee play teams like Nederland, Westbrook, Central, and Sherman Tourney vs playing in the Big Sandy Classic and Woodville tourney. Play teams that  can help you get better. Dont play in easy tourneys where you can beat everyone by 40! HJ plays quality teams too! Their tourney had Humble and a few other good schools. The East Chambers tourney was kind of easy for them though. IMO id like to see a local tourney with HJ,, Central, Silsbee, Nederland, Memorial, Ozen, Kountze, and West Orange. Mix  a few Houston schools and youll have something. Forget classifications. Letem hoop is a 3 day tourney. HJ is scared of YMBL!
[/quote]    Every game cannot be of playoff caliber.  Every team, including Silsbee and Central has some easy games.  HJ has played Nederland and Central as well as 5a Longview whom Central beat by 3 last week.  We all heard this same story last year.  It was about how much tougher the Silsbee schedule was and yet the two teams split their district games and lost to the same team in close games at the regionals.  Either the HJ schedule was not that soft or the Silsbee schedule was not that superior OR strength of schedule is not as important as some self appointed "experts" contend. Most of the time, the scheduling "experts" are running their mouths in order to try and convince someone (perhaps themselves) just how knowledgeable they are about the game.  They are NEVER as knowledgeable as those they criticize.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1360669" timestamp="1357170519"]
At the end of the day who you play does not matter. It's how you play that matters and I believe that hj's playoff record speaks for itself.
[/quote]

But everybody don't have the teams HJ has had and need a certain level of competition to get them ready for a tough district.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1360669" timestamp="1357170519"]
At the end of the day who you play does not matter. It's how you play that matters and I believe that hj's playoff record speaks for itself.
[/quote]
What about 2 or 3 years ago when Vidor was playing 1A and 2A teams all non district.. then when district came around they might have won 2 games.. sos does matter

I believe in a strong schedule, however, in situations like tournaments, you play whoevers next.  Now, you do control what tourneys you sign up for, but every tournament has a team that will finish last and you have  teams that are head and shoulders above the rest.  It's the nature of the beast.  In H-J's case, I think they would have competed well in a tourney like the Gamble classic in order to prepare for district and playoffs.    They would have seen teams like a Silsbee or a Dallas Madison(who I think very well could be in the state title game). 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder