Nederland vs. Dawson Observation

Puma42

Here is an observation of last week's game by a staff member of tamu.247sports.com, Brian Perroni. He also threw in some player evaluations, enjoy. 8)

Nederland won 22-19 in overtime but it shouldn't have gotten that far. They were dominated in yards but they took advantage of turnovers and penalties and the defense held when it needed to. Dawson was down by three with less than a minute left and did a good job driving. They took their final timeout around Nederland's 35 with about 50 seconds left. They moved it down the field to about the 15 or so.

On 3rd down the QB scrambled and was tackle in the middle of the field with 12 seconds left. The team ran up to the line and snapped the ball with 3 seconds left and the QB clocked it. Only problem was - it was 4th down. However, one of the WRs was not set so Dawson received a 5-yard penalty. In the NFL and college, 10 seconds would have been run off and the game over but Dawson was actually saved by the WRs mistake. The refs started the clock with 3 seconds and Dawson ran their FG team on the field. They clearly got the snap off 2-3 seconds after time ran out but the refs said it counted.

Dawson went first in OT and had one nice run by White but then a holding penalty. They ended up settling for a FG. On Nederland's second play the QB scrambled for close to 10 seconds and found a receiver crossing in the end zone for a 25-yard touchdown. Game over.

-Dawson didn't really utilize James White much tonight. He had one long carry in the second half for about 25 yards but they ran zone read a lot and the QB really liked to keep it. The QB wasn't great at making tacklers miss and should've handed it off more. When Dawson was trying to catch up in the 4th quarter, White went deep down the sideline and caught a pass for about 45 yards. It was impressive. I really didn't get to see his overall game, though, because of the zone read and because they were trailing most of the game and were throwing it a lot.

-2014 Dawson WR Tony Upchurch is a thick kid. He's probably 6-1/215. He scored Dawson's first touchdown in the 3rd quarter when he just went deep on a go route and easily beat the defender for a 75-yard score. He also did well on screens in the 4th quarter when Dawson wanted to move the chains. He played slot most of the night but the Dawson QB is not a great passer and he never really was able to get it to Upchurch in space. LSU was there watching him tonight.

-I am a big fan of 2014 Nederland DL DeShawn Washington. He is 6-3/275 but he plays DE for the Bulldogs. He has a great motor and had one of the most impressive plays I've seen from a big guy when he ran down the RB on a stretch play. He used his hands very well and had several TFLs and a sack. He has the frame to grow into a 3-tech for sure. I think he will have plenty of offers when his senior film gets out. He says he is hearing from four schools - A&M, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Purdue. A&M is his favorite, though, and he's been to two games at Kyle this year. The coaches have told him they are evaluating him for a possible offer.

-The other Nederland DE is a senior, Koby Couron. He's about 6-2.5/230 and he is very active as well. He's quick off the edge. He doesn't really have the frame to put on a ton of weight though. He is hearing from Lamar and that's about the level of prospect he is. The Nederland d-line as a whole is probably the best I've seen this year though.

Glad to see that someonelse saw the clock run off before they kicked the fieldgoal to go to OT! Refs dropped the ball on the last drive no doubt. Why LSU was looking at their QB I have no idea? I was not impressed with their offense at all. Maybe Neds Defense is just that much Better. I heard about some comments made by their head coach after the game about him not thinking the better team won. Well in my eyes the best team obviously won because their defense was that much better. In my eyes, PD was overrated! Just goes to show you rankings don't mean doodley squat!

[quote name="biaplayer" post="1347969" timestamp="1354503536"]
Glad to see that someonelse saw the clock run off before they kicked the fieldgoal to go to OT! Refs dropped the ball on the last drive no doubt. Why LSU was looking at their QB I have no idea? I was not impressed with their offense at all. Maybe Neds Defense is just that much Better. I heard about some comments made by their head coach after the game about him not thinking the better team won. Well in my eyes the best team obviously won because their defense was that much better. In my eyes, PD was overrated! Just goes to show you rankings don't mean doodley squat!
[/quote]
Nederland's D is that good.. can make Offense's look bad.

[quote name="biaplayer" post="1347969" timestamp="1354503536"]
[/quote]

Believe he's saying they were LSU was watching the WR not the QB

[quote name="KABrother" post="1347983" timestamp="1354504054"]
[quote author=biaplayer link=topic=107023.msg1347969#msg1347969 date=1354503536]
[/quote]

Believe he's saying they were [b]LSU was watching the WR[/b] not the QB
[/quote]

that's the way I understood it as well... they were looking at Upchurch

I thought Nederland's front 7 dominated PD's Big, slow OL and that was the difference in the game. I agree with the assessment that the QB kept the ball too much. However, the Bulldog defense did keep White bottled up most of the game. I also think the only two people in the stadium that didn't see triple 0s on the clock when PD snapped the ball for the game tying FG, were the Head Ref and the Back Judge. The two people that counted. The Back Judge especially, that is his main job, the timekeeper on the field. I think if the Bulldogs' defense plays like that again this week, they will advance.

I thought Dawson Coach was a little on the arrogant side. More like we show up we win approach. How else do you explain going for the countless number of 4 Down attempts ? When he had to know that Nederland D was for real. He had numerous chances to punt Nederland deep into there end of the field and refuse to accept the fact the Nederland D was stopping his offense. I'm glad the Bulldogs should him that no matter who you are or what your rank is the game is played on the field.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder