Memorable year for 2014 QB Aaron Sharp

Puma42

By Sam Khan Jr. | ESPN.com

HUMBLE, Texas -- Aaron Sharp is not surprised with what his team has accomplished this season.

After going 9-2 and making the playoffs for the first time a year ago, Sharp and his Houston Summer Creek teammates had high expectations coming into this season and so far, they're meeting those, sitting at 9-0 heading into their regular season finale against 9-0 Dayton (Texas) High School for a district championship.

"Yeah, this was pretty much an expected season from us," Sharp said. "We had a lot of people coming back from a good year that we had last year. We had more talent come in, so I think it was a real big season expected for Summer Creek, and we're just doing what we're supposed to be doing.

[+] Enlarge

Tom Hauck for ESPN.com
Aaron Sharp is a 2014 quarterback who has an offer from UTEP and interest from several other schools in the midwest.
"It's been a season to remember."

The 2014 quarterback has had a strong season of his own, putting up some impressive passing numbers. Sharp has completed 65.1 percent of his passes (116-of-178) this year for 2,122 yards and 28 touchdowns to go with five interceptions for the undefeated Bulldogs.

His productivity shouldn't come as a surprise -- he has been growing in the quarterback role since he was a freshman starting on Summer Creek's varsity. Even from his ninth grade year, something was clear about Sharp to head coach Brian Ford.

"The thing that's always been there is the accuracy," said Ford, who was the program's first head coach when it began varsity play three years ago. "He's just so accurate with the football and he understands and can see the field. Those are things that to me you just can't teach. ... He's gotten bigger, stronger and all those kinds of things, but the thing that he's had from the beginning and I think allows him to make so many plays is just that vision down the field and the ability to throw at his targets."

Many schools have noticed Sharp's talent. UTEP has already offered the 6-foot-2, 175-pound quarterback and others are interested, including Baylor, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas A&M and Texas Tech. Earlier this season he was invited to and attended the Aggies' home clash with LSU.

"Yeah I went to LSU game," Sharp said. "I thought it was a real good game. I liked it. I liked the atmosphere at Texas A&M. It's real exciting and it makes you feel like you want to go out there and play."

The school that has showed the most interest aside from UTEP has been Texas Tech, according to Sharp. He said he talks with offensive coordinator Neal Brown on a weekly basis and that the Red Raiders are very high on him.

"We talk pretty much every week about what's going on and stuff," Sharp said of Brown. "We talk about football, talk about what happened in our game and stuff like that. I ask him questions about what's going on in the program.

"I think Texas Tech is the top school that has been recruiting me more than any other. They tell me that I'm the No. 1 quarterback in 2014 that they're looking at [their] chart."

Sharp said he would like to take in a Texas Tech and a TCU game before the year is up, but right now, he's focused on his team, the district title and the playoff run that will ensue. With much at stake, this week is an exciting one for the emerging prospect.

"Both teams will be 9-0 so it's a clash for the district title," Sharp said. "We'll come out hard and after that we have to see who we have in the playoffs in the first round. We'll try to make it to the next round and take it one round at a time."

Courtesy of GigEmNation on ESPN.com 8)

[quote name="SummerCreek it is!" post="1322155" timestamp="1352244277"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=105861.msg1322154#msg1322154 date=1352244174]
I don't see him going to A&M. They have JFF and Sharp would be on bench for 3 years. TCU and TT would be nice, but I think by next year, he will have some bigger schools on his radar.
[/quote]

Who is JFF?
[/quote]
Johnny fing Football ;D

You might recognize him in his Scooby Doo costume. ;)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1392995-texas-ams-johnny-manziel-proves-ladies-love-scooby-doo-at-halloween

[quote name="badndn" post="1322169" timestamp="1352245931"]
Actually since he is only a Junior this year, if he went to A&M and red shirted (just like JFF did) he would only be Johnny Footballs backup for one year.
[/quote]
Your right, I forgot Sharp is just a Junior. My bad. Did you see the scooby doo costume? ;D

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1322166" timestamp="1352245550"]
[quote author=SummerCreek it is! link=topic=105861.msg1322155#msg1322155 date=1352244277]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=105861.msg1322154#msg1322154 date=1352244174]
I don't see him going to A&M. They have JFF and Sharp would be on bench for 3 years. TCU and TT would be nice, but I think by next year, he will have some bigger schools on his radar.
[/quote]

Who is JFF?
[/quote]
Johnny fing Football ;D

You might recognize him in his Scooby Doo costume. ;)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1392995-texas-ams-johnny-manziel-proves-ladies-love-scooby-doo-at-halloween
[/quote]

Yea Johnny Football

[quote name="badndn" post="1322169" timestamp="1352245931"]
Actually since he is only a Junior this year, if he went to A&M and red shirted (just like JFF did) he would only be Johnny Footballs backup for one year.
[/quote]

Yeah but There's also Kenny Hill in the 2013 class (who I see being Johnny's successor) and possibly Kyler Murray in the 2015 class. I could see Sharp getting offered, but QB is a very low priority in 2014.

[quote name="joebob" post="1322959" timestamp="1352321470"]
JFF may not last too many seasons with his arrest record. Heard he has been arrested 3 times and the kid is only what 19?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8112673/texas-aggies-freshman-qb-johnny-manziel-arrested
[/quote]thats one arrest, dont know what other 2 you're referring to.

[quote name="texasaggie" post="1322413" timestamp="1352267966"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=105861.msg1322169#msg1322169 date=1352245931]
[/quote]

Yeah but There's also Kenny Hill in the 2013 class (who I see being Johnny's successor) and possibly Kyler Murray in the 2015 class. I could see Sharp getting offered, but QB is a very low priority in 2014.
[/quote]I don't think Kenny Hill will ever see the field and I don't think they will ever offer Murray at the qb position. Kohl Stewart is a bigger and more accurate version of Hill already, plus somewhere I read that Matt Davis was pushing Manziel for the job during the fall. I think Sharp will make the ESPNU 150 but not sure if he's going to get the offers of even a Nathan Dick due to the fact he's a southpaw and a little thin right now. Very accurate but the arm strength is still a toss up.

[quote name="COOG8BRONCO" post="1323007" timestamp="1352324113"]
[quote author=texasaggie link=topic=105861.msg1322413#msg1322413 date=1352267966]
[/quote]

[/quote]I don't think Kenny Hill will ever see the field and I don't think they will ever offer Murray at the qb position. [b]Kohl Stewart is a bigger and more accurate version of Hill already[/b], plus somewhere I read that Matt Davis was pushing Manziel for the job during the fall. I think Sharp will make the ESPNU 150 but not sure if he's going to get the offers of even a Nathan Dick due to the fact he's a southpaw and a little thin right now. Very accurate but the arm strength is still a toss up.
[/quote]Stewart might not even play football from what i hear, i think he might be leaning towards playing baseball only.

[quote name="COOG8BRONCO" post="1323007" timestamp="1352324113"]
[quote author=texasaggie link=topic=105861.msg1322413#msg1322413 date=1352267966]
[/quote]

[/quote]I don't think Kenny Hill will ever see the field and I don't think they will ever offer Murray at the qb position. Kohl Stewart is a bigger and more accurate version of Hill already, plus somewhere I read that Matt Davis was pushing Manziel for the job during the fall. I think Sharp will make the ESPNU 150 but not sure if he's going to get the offers of even a Nathan Dick due to the fact he's a southpaw and a little thin right now. Very accurate but the arm strength is still a toss up.
[/quote]

I though coaches loved Southpaws? And for as size Sharp is 6'3 183....the college will get him bigger. I don't think Kenny Hill will touch the field, neither will Matt Davis, they are not that good to me. I hear Hill will possibly go pro for baseball with Kolh....I honestly think Kohl will be the best fit for those outstanding wrs they are bringing in.

[quote name="SummerCreek it is!" post="1323026" timestamp="1352325744"]
[quote author=COOG8BRONCO link=topic=105861.msg1323007#msg1323007 date=1352324113]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I though coaches loved Southpaws? And for as size Sharp is 6'3 183....the college will get him bigger. I don't think Kenny Hill will touch the field, neither will Matt Davis, they are not that good to me. I hear Hill will possibly go pro for baseball with Kolh....I honestly think Kohl will be the best fit for those outstanding wrs they are bringing in.
[/quote]

Lots of misinformed people in this conversation:
A) Manziel is not a head case. He made a mistake one night, but has moved on and learned from it. Kingsbury said he's been a model citizen, and Sumlin said it was out of character. I've met him once, he's a very nice guy.
B) Matt Davis was a distant 4th in the QB race. He was never close to pushing for the job. He will either change positions, transfer, or try to start for one season if he wants to play. Personally, I think he moves to safety down the line.
C) Kohl has been projected by some as a top 10 pick in the MLB. I don't see him passing that up just to sit behind Manziel. He's got a lot of arm strength, but I question his decision making and lack of productivity against terrible competition. Personally, I think he goes MLB and becomes a very good pitcher.
D) Kenny Hill is very Manziel-like because he is anything but conventional, but he is a winner and consistently produces. He is the guy that this staff went after. Stewart was a Sherman commit that they honored. Sumlin's staff went after Hill on their own. I believe he is their guy. He is not an MLB risk. Personally, I see Kenny being Johnny's successor.
E) Sharp is a very good QB and could be A&M's 2014 guy if A&M chooses him. Aggies can pretty much handpick who, if anybody, they want to be their QB in the 2014 class. Personally, he is my favorite TX QB in the 2014 class.
F) Kyler Murray has a very good chance of being offered. He is an Aggie legacy, and Sumlin told him personally that they'd be coming after him. His only knock is height, but he's only 15 years old and is likely to grow to 6'0" or 6'1". That would be plenty tall enough. A&M is already his leader, and if he doesn't grow then I'm sure they'd be glad to take him as a slot. Personally, I think he hits the 6 foot mark and takes over from Hill when he graduates.

[quote name="texasaggie" post="1323045" timestamp="1352328253"]
[quote author=SummerCreek it is! link=topic=105861.msg1323026#msg1323026 date=1352325744]
[quote author=COOG8BRONCO link=topic=105861.msg1323007#msg1323007 date=1352324113]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

A) Manziel is not a head case. He made a mistake one night, but has moved on and learned from it. Kingsbury said he's been a model citizen, and Sumlin said it was out of character. I've met him once, he's a very nice guy.
[b]B) Matt Davis was a distant 4th in the QB race. He was never close to pushing for the job. [i][u]He will either change positions[/u], transfer, or try to start for one season if he wants to play[/i]. Personally, I think he moves to safety down the line.[/b]
C) Kohl has been projected by some as a top 10 pick in the MLB. I don't see him passing that up just to sit behind Manziel. He's got a lot of arm strength, but I question his decision making and lack of productivity against terrible competition. Personally, I think he goes MLB and becomes a very good pitcher.
D) Kenny Hill is very Manziel-like because he is anything but conventional, but he is a winner and consistently produces. He is the guy that this staff went after. Stewart was a Sherman commit that they honored. Sumlin's staff went after Hill on their own. I believe he is their guy. He is not an MLB risk. Personally, I see Kenny being Johnny's successor.
E) Sharp is a very good QB and could be A&M's 2014 guy if A&M chooses him. Aggies can pretty much handpick who, if anybody, they want to be their QB in the 2014 class. Personally, he is my favorite TX QB in the 2014 class.
F) Kyler Murray has a very good chance of being offered. He is an Aggie legacy, and Sumlin told him personally that they'd be coming after him. His only knock is height, but he's only 15 years old and is likely to grow to 6'0" or 6'1". That would be plenty tall enough. A&M is already his leader, and if he doesn't grow then I'm sure they'd be glad to take him as a slot. Personally, I think he hits the 6 foot mark and takes over from Hill when he graduates.
[/quote]i been saying that since before Johnny stepped on campus  ;)

[quote author=SummerCreek it is! link=topic=105861.msg1323026#msg1323026 date=1352325744]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

B) Matt Davis was a distant 4th in the QB race. He was never close to pushing for the job. He will either change positions, transfer, or try to start for one season if he wants to play. Personally, I think he moves to safety down the line.
[/quote]

Good information....what is your take on Ronald Monroe? I saw him on the projected 2014 recruiting board too

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]B) Matt Davis was a distant 4th in the QB race. He was never close to pushing for the job. He will either change positions, transfer, or try to start for one season if he wants to play. Personally, I think he moves to safety down the line.[/b]C) Kohl has been projected by some as a top 10 pick in the MLB. I don't see him passing that up just to sit behind Manziel. He's got a lot of arm strength, but I question his decision making and lack of productivity against terrible competition. Personally, I think he goes MLB and becomes a very good pitcher.
[b][b]F) Kyler Murray has a very good chance of being offered. He is an Aggie legacy, and Sumlin told him personally that they'd be coming after him. His only knock is height, but he's only 15 years old and is likely to grow to 6'0" or 6'1". That would be plenty tall enough. A&M is already his leader, and if he doesn't grow then I'm sure they'd be glad to take him as a slot. Personally, I think he hits the 6 foot mark and takes over from Hill when he graduates.[/b][/b][/quote]
My fault on saying Matt Davis, I meant Jameil Showers, I was thinking Davis was the sophomore. This is one of the articles I was reading a few months ago while I was checking on Davis status. http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/tag/_/name/matt-davis
As far as Murray goes you are absolutely delusional if you think Sumlin is doing anything other than appeasing an ex-player/booster's son to make a good impression. I doubt any coach's first order of business at and SEC program is to start recruiting a 5'10" sophomore qb, who MIGHT grow some and IF he does then MAYBE they think his production over the next two years warrants a scholarship. Before they got to the SEC A&M didn't get whoever they wanted, they got the leftovers from Texas and the rest of the SEC. Now doing things like flipping Thomas Johnson and most likely picking up Seals-Jones points more towards A&M getting who they want, look at the recruiting classes from the past decade and you will see that's far from the truth. Nearly every player on Texas roster has an offer from A&M, not a whole lot from A&M have Texas offers. For example, Texas only has 5 or 6 out of state offers right now while A&M probably has 25. That means Texas is truly hand picking vs reaching. Kevin Sumlin is recruiting prototypes now, not more Manziel's. Even though Sumlin turned Manziel into JFF I would be willing to bet he wants another 6'4" 225 lbs drop-back passer with a rocket arm (Ryan Tannehill). It was a down year for qbs in the state when JFF came out, Texas got the number one as they usually do (David Ash) and A&M picked up # 2 who was Manziel and didn't garner a single SEC offer which is unheard of for the second rated qb in Texas. Mike Sherman recruited an undersized Tannehill, Sumlin is looking for a bigger and stronger Tannehill, not an undersized Manziel.

[quote name="SummerCreek it is!" post="1323026" timestamp="1352325744"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]I though coaches loved Southpaws? And for as size Sharp is 6'3 183....the college will get him bigger.[/b] I don't think Kenny Hill will touch the field, neither will Matt Davis, they are not that good to me. I hear Hill will possibly go pro for baseball with Kolh....I honestly think Kohl will be the best fit for those outstanding wrs they are bringing in.
[/quote]If coaches love southpaws it's because they're usually pretty accurate. I only say it causes problems because you have to switch playsides along with moving around the offensive line. Your left tackle is usually a taller, leaner pass blocker while the right side is usually the power tackle. Lefties have a reversed blind side and the ball spins the opposite way, it's not a big deal if the offense is set up for a southpaw but that's usually not the case. With how good he is though I don't think being a lefty will effect him that much. His issue is going to be more of weight and release point. I use the 25 pound rule, meaning you can expect a high school kid to gain 25 pounds in a normal college program. That put's Sharp at 208 which is plenty big enough but still kind of slight, Colt was about 205 and he was kind of small. Maybe he gets to 220 though. He reminds me a lot of Chris Leak when he came out, very accurate and mobile but a little slight. I think he's going to be a legitimate 6'3" at least but he's got to stop releasing the ball 6" off his shoulder pads. He almost pushes it out there which is going to cause batted balls when you start throwing over 6'6" linemen. His release needs to be 6" over the top of his helment as to utilize his height. This is knit-picking but that's what recruiters do, I'm just giving reasons why the most productive qb in the region only has a UTEP offer. He has a bunch of games left to play though so I'm sure he'll work on some of these things and when he lines them out I'm certian the Big 12 and SEC will come calling. And also, what are his grades like?

[quote name="COOG8BRONCO" post="1323301" timestamp="1352381015"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]I though coaches loved Southpaws? And for as size Sharp is 6'3 183....the college will get him bigger.[/b] I don't think Kenny Hill will touch the field, neither will Matt Davis, they are not that good to me. I hear Hill will possibly go pro for baseball with Kolh....I honestly think Kohl will be the best fit for those outstanding wrs they are bringing in.
[/quote]If coaches love southpaws it's because they're usually pretty accurate. I only say it causes problems because you have to switch playsides along with moving around the offensive line. Your left tackle is usually a taller, leaner pass blocker while the right side is usually the power tackle. Lefties have a reversed blind side and the ball spins the opposite way, it's not a big deal if the offense is set up for a southpaw but that's usually not the case. With how good he is though I don't think being a lefty will effect him that much. His issue is going to be more of weight and release point. I use the 25 pound rule, meaning you can expect a high school kid to gain 25 pounds in a normal college program. That put's Sharp at 208 which is plenty big enough but still kind of slight, Colt was about 205 and he was kind of small. Maybe he gets to 220 though. He reminds me a lot of Chris Leak when he came out, very accurate and mobile but a little slight. I think he's going to be a legitimate 6'3" at least but he's got to stop releasing the ball 6" off his shoulder pads. He almost pushes it out there which is going to cause batted balls when you start throwing over 6'6" linemen. His release needs to be 6" over the top of his helment as to utilize his height. This is knit-picking but that's what recruiters do, I'm just giving reasons why the most productive qb in the region only has a UTEP offer. He has a bunch of games left to play though so I'm sure he'll work on some of these things and when he lines them out I'm certian the Big 12 and SEC will come calling. And also, what are his grades like?
[/quote]

I don't know his grades for sure, but I heard his grades are good, and that's him being in AP and Pre Ap classes....a lot of those kids on the team in that 2014 class have really good grades.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami