Will East Chambers ever make it to the Title game?????

[quote name="Kvillecats" post="1251542" timestamp="1345964207"]
[quote author=bullsonparade link=topic=102085.msg1251537#msg1251537 date=1345961842]
What is up with you kirbyville fans? I know this much, that EC will probably stomp a mudhole in you guys this year...
[/quote] We're not Newton or Anahuac...only time will tell!
[/quote]
Finally your right about something. Kirbyville is NOT Newton. Don't have the history, the tradition, the wins, the Titles, The trophies, or the legends that Newton does. Nor do they have the talent this year that Newton does. ;D

I'll bite.

I have no clue as to whether EC will ever make it to the title game. 20 years ago if one had asked if EC would ever make the playoffs most would have laughed and said NO! Now, even EC's detractors usually admit that they are a playoff contender even if they aren't willing to consider them a favorite.

Historically, EC's biggest challenge has been size (height and weight both). EC is typically an undersized team. They usually make up for that with good speed and skills, being well coached, disciplined, focused, playing hard, and having a lot of heart, never quiting on a game, etc. In the regular season and often in the early rounds of the playoffs that combination can offset the size advantage of opponents and get you to the playoffs and a couple of playoff wins.

The problem in the playoffs is that by the 3rd round (and in region 3 it can easily be the 1st or 2nd round) your going to face teams that not only have a decided size advantage, they also have most or all of those things that you do well. Hence EC's struggles with the Marts, Tatums, and Cameron Yoes in recent years.

For example, in 2006 EC played Mart on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I was in Lubbock for Thanksgiving and got up that Friday morning and drove to Huntsville for the game. Mart won the game fair and square 49-21. The most glaring difference between the two teams was size. Im not saying EC was Marts equal in every other respect, only that the most obvious advantage Mart had was in size. That difference was most noticeable, at least to me, in the passing game. If I recall correctly, Mart had at least one D1 receiver on that team. 5'8"-5'10'' covering 6'2"plus is a challenge.  Much of the score differential came down to a handfull of plays. I have no doubt Mart was the better team (they were state champions) and would have won the game. Had some or all of that handfull of plays gone the other way the final score could have been much closer. I don't say that to make excuses. Mart made those plays, EC didn't. I only use it as an example to illustrate what I believe is EC's biggest disadvantage/challenge in making it to, or winning, the title game.

As you know from Kirbyvilles reccent trips to the title game, winning it all is difficult even when your loaded in every respect. I don't say that to disparage Kirbyville for not winning those games, only to illustrate how difficult it is. Ask the Newton folks. They have won it all and come close a number of times in the past and I believe most would tell you it was never easy. Thats why is it SOOOO SWEET when you do win it all.

Teams can and have overcome their challenges to win it all. North Crowly was a perenial doormat and made the playoffs a few years ago. Everyone thought they would be an early out. They got on a roll and won it all. May or may not be likely, but if it can happen for them and others it can happen for EC.

In the end, high shool football is about working your butt off, playing your heart out, leaving it all on the field, letting the chips fall where they may, and walking away with no regrets. As long as EC does that I will be proud of them. If EC ever does make to the title game and wins it all I will be on cloud 9......at least until I have to set down and pay bills and cold hard reality sets back in ....

Guest tigersvoice
oldbuc77, your post was absolutely "A thing of beauty."
Welcome to this board but be warned that your logic and your use of the English language, along with punctuation, will not be appreciated by many (most) of the posters. ;D

I agree with Tigersvoice 100%. oldbuc77 your post was well thought out and written so that understanding your thoughts was no struggle. +1 on karma and I too welcome you. And your right about winning it all, it is sweeeeeet. But I feel I must point out one thing you didn't mention and that is luck. I firmly believe that a team has to be lucky at some point in the playoffs to win it all and you can never tell when that will be. Good post.

Thanks ya'll for the welcome and compliments.

Tigersvoice, I will try to uphold the standards of the language but do forgive me if I slip up on occassion. I am neither a grammarian nor a wordsmith in the true sense of the words.

ChampionEagles, I agree with you 100% about luck. That was an oversight on my part. Thanks for pointing it out.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1251555" timestamp="1345979816"]
[quote author=Kvillecats link=topic=102085.msg1251542#msg1251542 date=1345964207]
[quote author=bullsonparade link=topic=102085.msg1251537#msg1251537 date=1345961842]
What is up with you kirbyville fans? I know this much, that EC will probably stomp a mudhole in you guys this year...
[/quote]
Finally your right about something. Kirbyville is NOT Newton. Don't have the history, the tradition, the wins, the Titles, The trophies, or the legends that Newton does. Nor do they have the talent this year that Newton does. ;D
[/quote] Yeah but you have taken an "L" more times by Kirbyville than anybody else in the district....now run and tell that!!

[quote name="Kvillecats" post="1251542" timestamp="1345964207"]
[/quote]How bad did Newton beat y'all last year 49-6 or something like that.

[quote name="Back2swag" post="1252418" timestamp="1346077765"]
[quote author=Kvillecats link=topic=102085.msg1251542#msg1251542 date=1345964207]
[/quote]
44-19

[quote name="Back2swag" post="1252418" timestamp="1346077765"]
[/quote] Too bad EC won't be able to do that. Newton gonna get it handed to them this year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder