Just curious

What is the cost of girls playing select softball?

And is that the only way for a girl to get a scholarship for college? 

Has it become a sport that if you don't have the income for your
daughter to play travel ball she will not be able to be seen by scouts?

I would like to hear from current and former players and parents if it was worth the money. 

I understand there will be success stories as well as those that were not as fortunate to get to the collegiate level.  I have noticed the kids are getting younger and want to know the average cost from a beginning stand point to when they get that scholarship. 

I have heard the average to play can get up to about 9000 a year or more between travel, hotels, dues, eating and practice.  Is that true?

The family that told me this daughter played from 10 yrs old until her junior year in high school and decided she did not want to play anymore. This was just so shocking to me that she could have just played high school ball and saved the money and paid for school.  So, I wanted know if you have to play select ball to go to college?

The family said they would do it again even knowing what they do now. Because that is what their daughter wanted to do, and they had the money.

Just curious if this was the norm or is this family the exception. 

From my experience select ball is the best way to get your child exposure to college Coaches. Tryouts are another way, but college Coaches don't want to travel around watching girls play subpar opponents especially when they are busy playing at the same time. Summer and fall are when it's easiest to scout and big tournaments provide an opportunity to see tons of kids that play at the highest level against quality opponents. Just my two cents.

If you think she can play at the next level. Spend the money now and college could get a lot cheaper for you.

My DD played from the age of 10u to 18u and then decieded that she did not want to take the full ride to college. Still would do it again. the people in this sport are some of the best peole you can meet. they want to give their DD the best oppertuity they can and want the best they came get. It does not matter if they play college ball at a small are large college or even if they play. Some like me still work with young ladies on a daily bases

[quote name="Be Smart" post="1246162" timestamp="1345216284"]
My DD played from the age of 10u to 18u and then decieded that she did not want to take the full ride to college. Still would do it again. the people in this sport are some of the best peole you can meet. they want to give their DD the best oppertuity they can and want the best they came get. It does not matter if they play college ball at a small are large college or even if they play. Some like me still work with young ladies on a daily bases
[/quote]

I agree 100% Billy!

Mine got injured, no longer plays SB (she is a Sr and does track now) - I am still very involved, JH's DD has grad and moved on and JH is still involved....Trout's DD got injured and hasn't played in many moons...he is still involved....the common ground is...every one of us would do it all over again, regardless of the ending.

However, the original post is very accurate, you COULD pay for their college out right if you just saved your money....but that's not really the point. Many kids who's parents can outright pay for college seek the athletic scholarship because of personal accomplishment....mom and dad aren't paying for this..."I" (the player) earned this on my own, for a game I love to play.

The time I spent with my girls (3 of them) supporting what they love doing is priceless....its really about the experiences....all the stories to be told...good and bad....will be times never to be taken away....and to be told for many years to come. The friends made...players, coaches, parents....

As the commercial goes:
Bat - $300
Glove - $125
Spikes - $80
Player fees/ hotels / gas / food $1000000000000
The total softball experience - PRICELESS

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami