UIL rules regarding helmets

i was reading about concussions and decided to post this. not sure how many are aware. thought it was good info.

[b]UIL Makes Changes to Athletic Rules and Programs for 2012-2013 School Year

Tuesday, 05 June 2012 10:58. | Written by Lisa Tipton. | | |

The University Interscholastic League of Texas has made some new changes in the rules and programs for the 2012-2013 school year.

Below are several new things schools, athletes, coaches and administrators will need to know for the next school year’s athletic competitions.  Information is from the UIL website in an article of the Leaguer written by By Mark Cousins, Athletic Director.

Concussion Training – Every coach and athletic trainer is required by state law (TEC 38.159) to undergo two hours of training on concussions prior to Sept. 1, 2012. Information on this requirement is available on the Concussion Information page on the Health and Safety section of the UIL website. UIL has also made available a syllabus that providers of concussion education can utilize to provide statewide consistency to the training programs.
Concussion Acknowledgement Form - The UIL has created a Concussion Acknowledgement Form, which will be required for all student athletes in grades 7-12 beginning with the 2012-13 school year, as a result of the passage of HB 2038 from the 2011 legislative session.

According to section 38.155 of the Texas Education Code, "a student may not participate in an interscholastic athletic activity for a school year until both the student and the student ’s parent or guardian or another person with legal authority to make medical decisions for the student have signed a form for that school year that acknowledges receiving and reading written information that explains concussion prevention, symptoms, treatment, and oversight and that includes guidelines for safely resuming participation in an athletic activity following a concussion….." This new form is available for download on the UIL website.

Football Helmets – While we talked about this last year as information, a law was also passed regarding football helmets utilized in any high school football game. Effective for the 2012-13 school year, according to section Sec. 33.094 of the Texas Education Code:

(a) A school district may not use a football helmet that is 16 years old or older in the district's football program.

(b) A school district shall ensure that each football helmet used in the district's football program that is 10 years old or older is reconditioned at least once every two years.

(c) A school district shall maintain and make available to parents of students enrolled in the district documentation indicating the age of each football helmet used in the district's football program and the dates on which each helmet is reconditioned.[/b]

All I know is we (Vidor of the STJFL.NET) are required to take a coaching certification on USAFOOTBALL.COM for tackle in the tackling division and for flag division there is a seperate certification altogether. There is a concussion course as a part of it and covers heat conditioning, stress, stroke, etc. It was good and informative my son actually took it with me and we gained a lot.

Hope this answers your question!

There is also a new NCAA rule (Rules that Texas HS use) this year that says a player must sit out a play if his helmet comes off during a play (unless it was caused by penalty....another player pulling it off).

I like this rule because it is going to encourage players to have their helmets fit properly.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder