18-4A in 2012

1. Brenham Cubs- The green machine is losing a ton, but it's hard to bet against a team that hasn't lost a regular season game in 2 years.  The Cubs reload rather well, but this is the most talent they have lost.  It will be a huge test, in a district that just got even tougher.
2. Montgomery Bears- Over the past few years the Bears have turned into a force.  While they have dominated teams and reloaded well over the past few years, they have struggled with one district opponent year in & year out.  They have come close to knocking off Brenham a few times in the past few years, but no matter what the Cubs seem to be the Bears achelies.  The good news for Montgomery is they get Brenham at home again this year.  Could it be the the year the Bears finally beat the Cubs?
3. Huntsville Hornets- IMO, the Hornets return what is one of the most talented players in the district, in Henry Ford.  Not sure what else they will have, but Ford is a very talented HB.
4. Magnolia West Mustangs- Like Brenham and Montgomery, West lost a lot.  While they have shown a lot in there short existance, it's uncertain if they are a reload or rebuild team.
5. Willis Wildkats- Willis always has a lot of athletes, so I'm sure they will compete with MW & Huntsville, for the last few playoff spots.
6. Waller Bulldogs- I'm not sure what to expect from Waller this year.  I can't wait to visit their taj mahal of a stadium though!
7. Bryan Rudder Rangers- Don't know much about Rudder yet.
8. Magnolia Bulldogs- Magnolia was really young last year, but I didn't see much to leave me worried about them.
9. Caney Creek Panthers- Don't know much about CC yet.

Brenham's key players this year...

[b]Class Of 2013[/b]
S  Justin Davis- Getting looks from Utah, Arizona St., New Mexico St. & Texas Tech.
LB Jacob Sparks- Getting looks.
WR Kwadareus Chapel- Getting looks from Texas & Georgia.

[b]Class Of 2014[/b]
CB Darrion Johnson- Has an offer from Oklahoma and is getting looks from LSU, Texas A&M & Texas.  He is the overall #3 rated player in the state for the class of 2014, according to Lone Star Recruiting's Top 100.

• 2 weeks later...
Players to absolutely watch from Brenham

Justin Davis DB/WR- Offered by Arizona St. last week, best natural athlete on the team

Kwaderius Chapel WR- Offered by UTEP recently, great potential

Jacob Sparks ILB- Kind of came from no where, huge kid that could make some big plays this year. Has Texas Tech's eye from what my sources tell me. (Somebody please get me some more info on this kid)

All three were invited to the Team USA Allstar game tryout on July 5th, look for some more offers if they do well there.

Other names to keep in your head

Ryan Nunn RB- Transferred from Caney Creek ready to play
Erik Yeager/Robert Stark QB- both have the position to lose come August

[quote name="KellyGreen22" post="1230818" timestamp="1339808840"]

Justin Davis DB/WR- Offered by Arizona St. last week, best natural athlete on the team

Jacob Sparks ILB- Kind of came from no where, huge kid that could make some big plays this year. Has Texas Tech's eye from what my sources tell me. (Somebody please get me some more info on this kid)

All three were invited to the Team USA Allstar game tryout on July 5th, look for some more offers if they do well there.

[/quote]

Out of Stark & Yeager, who do you think has the edge?  Stark played some last year, but it didn't seem like he picked up on the pace of the game.  He would under throw WR at times and get his eyes set on one guy, instead of looking the secondary away.  Those things can be fixed over time, but just wanted to see what you thought...

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1230820" timestamp="1339810226"]
[quote author=KellyGreen22 link=topic=100358.msg1230818#msg1230818 date=1339808840]

[/quote]

Out of Stark & Yeager, who do you think has the edge?  Stark played some last year, but it didn't seem like he picked up on the pace of the game.  He would under throw WR at times and get his eyes set on one guy, instead of looking the secondary away.  Those things can be fixed over time, but just wanted to see what you thought...
[/quote]

I think it'll come down to mental toughness, several of my friends are Brenham coaches and from what I can pick up Stark has improved greatly. He just has to be confident

Yeager on the other hand is very young and needs to get more consistent. I think they may experiment with the 2 QB system, maybe a third. There's a soon to be sophomore who is also very talented, not sure about his name.

Nice job on your analysis there Brenham Fan.  Willis lost a lot of seniors, as last year was suppossed to be "the year" they were waiting for.  Like Mag West, they are another reload or rebuild uncertainty.  I think you have the district predicted about right.  I still think that Montgomery will defeat Brenham "one of these days".

My Predictions:
1. Brenham
2. Montgomery
3. Mag West
4. Huntsville
5. Willis
6. Waller
7. Rudder
8. Magnolia
9. Caney Creek

Brenham and Montgomery will probably finish 1 and 2 respectively, but West, Huntsville, and Willis could finish in any order. Overall the district will be pretty weak. Rebuilding year across the board.

Montgomery Preview: The next Bolfing steps in at quarterback. Sophomore Josh Bolfing will start. He's not as big as Tyler and has a wiry frame but he is much more mobile. The RBs Linton and Dominick that filled in for House last year will both be back and sophomores Paul Allen and Jordan Brown could also see some time. Only 1 returning starter from last year's OL. They'll be a little undersized but they will be decent. WR Bodhi Bell returns and will be the #1 Target for Josh. WR/K Will Fox will start on the opposite side, and although he is very small, he is very effective. Defensively, the only returning starters are the safeties Ivy and House. The secondary will be the strength of the defense. The ILBs Mock and Markos should do well, particularly Markos who is bigger and faster than Watkins was last year. The OLBs are both former safeties so they should do well in coverage but might be a concern in run defense. Losing Hooper on the D-Line will be a big hit, but Hemphill-Poplar will be a guy to watch.

Offensive Strength: Run Game/Bell
Offensive Weakness: Inexperience/Lack of Size
Defensive Strength: Pass defense
Defensive Weakness: Power Run Game

Season Preview: Montgomery will be baptized by fire with its first 2 games against Angleton and Pearland Dawson. Those games will be very rough, but if they can grow up in a hurry and use those games as learning experiences they could still have a good season. I see them losing to Brenham and possibly a slip up to 1 of West, Huntsville, or Willis. They probably finish 7-3(7-1) or 6-4(6-2), but 2nd place seems to be their slot. They could go a couple playoff rounds, but don't expect a deep run.

My prediction for Brenham after looking their schedule this year.....  (Games in order by what I believe the level of difficulty is.)

If anybody has an open week and is intersted in coming to a Brenham game, we have 6 home games, and I have an extra season ticket at about the 43 yard line.  So PM me if you're interested...

Oct. 12 @ Montgomery- This match up will be the Cubs toughest game of the year.  While Montgomery has never beaten Brenham, they have pushed us to our limits in past couple years.  Bolfing has really turned this program around.  This game will feature 18-4A's offensive and defensive preseason MVP's.  What makes it even better, is they will likely be doing battle all game, considering the offensive guy is a senior WR for Montgomery, and the defensive guy is junior CB from Brenham.  Should be a very interesting match up.  Montgomery has 2 advantages... A. It's a home game and it will be packed. (It has been the last couple of years anyways) B. The Bears have an extremely difficult pre-district schedule (#5 Dawson & #10 Angleton), while Brenham's pre-district shedule is relativly easy.  Brenham's advantages are... A. They havn't lost a regular season game 2 years. Which gives them a 20 game winning streak) B. Brenham has never lost to Montgomery.  Will Brenham continue it's dominance over it's district, or is this the year the Bears finally take Cubs down?  Usually a pretty balanced offense.
Brenham      20
Montgomery 13

Sept. 14 Magnolia West- They have gotten better and better every year, including playoff aperances in the last 2 years.  They lost a lot, so I'm intersted in seeing how the Mustangs look, now that they are having to rebuild.  My guess is they will be ok, since a lot of the district is also rebuilding.  Even though they have been hot the last 2 years, they have had their problems against Brenham.  Their history against the Cubs since they were established.  2011 47-13 Cubs, 2010 55-0 Cubs, 2009 28-7 Cubs & 2008 30-0 Cubs.  Usually a pretty balaned offense.
Brenham        31
Magnolia West 14

Nov. 2 Huntsville- Like Brenham, the Hornets last a lot since last year.  The Cubs destroyed Huntsville last year, 65-16.  With that being said, the Hornets should have extra incentive this time around.  This game will be just as important to Brenham. Now that Huntsville is back in our district, the stakes have been raised.  The Hornets are usually about 70% run & 30% pass.
Brenham 37
Huntsville 7

Oct. 5 Willis- Willis lost a lot, but they will still be a playoff contender.  IMO, Magnolia West, Huntsville & Willis will be battling it out for the 3rd & 4th playoff spots.  Willis usually uses an air-raid attack, but they will be up against a top notch secondary.  The Wildkats defense is usually where they struggle.
Brenham 35
Willis      14

Sept. 21 @ Waller- The rivalry game known as, "The Battle Of The Brazos".  In fact, Waller was the last team to hand the Cubs a regular season loss, back in 2009.  These games are usually very chippy and intense.  You can tell the 2 teams respect, but don't really like each other.  Throw the records & rankings out the window in this series. Waller liked to run the ball, but last year it was pretty baleced. (Could be because there best player was a WR)
Brenham 28
Waller    10

Aug. 31 Foster- I don't know much about the Falcons, but I don't see them beating us.  The green machine defense is just too athletic.  They are too fast, swarm to the ball.  At least they have been in the past, & I think this year will be more of the same.  Not sure what the Falcon's offensive tendencies are.
Brenham 27
Foster    10

Oct. 19  Bryan Rudder (Homecoming)- Like Soulja says If you are chosen to be somebody's homecoming game, it's disrespectful!  Lol.  Teams seem to be a little more focused and play a little harder at homecoming.  Nobody wants to lose and let the town down.  According to DCTF, the best HB in 18-4A is a Rudder Ranger.  Not sure he's seen a defense like Brenham's though.  I'm assuming they will be a running team, since their best player is the HB.
Brenham 42
Rudder    14

Oct. 26  @ Magnolia- The Bulldogs have been down the past couple years, so I'm not expecting too much from them.  Their QB is a junior, but has been starting for a while now.  Magnolia runs the ball quite a bit, and with Brown, Cole & Jeter-Gilmon gone, I'm sure we will be blitzing are DB's more than usual.  Makes sense cuz our secondary will be our strength.
Brenham 34
Magnolia 14

Nov. 9  @ Caney Creek- It's 18-4A's favorite, against 18-4A's projected last place team.  On top of that Caney Creek's best player (HB) has transferred to Brenham.  That should motivate the Panther, but I doubt it will be enough.  The Cubs should take this one rather easily.  Usually a running team.
Brenham      38
Caney Creek  7

Sept. 7  Katy John Paul XXlll- Not looking forward to this game too much.  The game only got scheduled due to Bay City backing out of our originally scheduled game.  If you want to see the starters play, get there early, cuz I think the back ups will be in by half time.  This game won't be pretty.... Not sure what they will bring, but I don't think it will matter too much.
Brenham        49
John Paul XXlll  0

At the end of the regular season, I think we will be 10-0 and extend our win streak to 30.  If we do lose, I'm gonna say it will be to Montgomery.  If we get by the Bears in mid-season, I think we're in the clear.  Then if we can fix these early playoff exits, we'll be in business.....

Here's an interesting tidbit on the Magnolia QB. He was a backup B-Team running back in Montgomery, but then had to move to Magnolia and ended up the starting Varsity QB. Kinda shows the difference in talent levels. Magnolia really died in football when West was opened.

[quote name="texasaggie" post="1232989" timestamp="1340775835"]
Here's an interesting tidbit on the Magnolia QB. He was a backup B-Team running back in Montgomery, but then had to move to Magnolia and ended up the starting Varsity QB. Kinda shows the difference in talent levels. Magnolia really died in football when West was opened.
[/quote]

I agree....

What does Brenham's run game look like for next year? I think Montgomery's secondary will be able to contain Chapel (Even though we lost both our shutdown corners), but it's the run defense I am worried about. Both teams' strengths are their secondary, so the game will be decided on how well each team can run the ball.

[quote name="texasaggie" post="1233035" timestamp="1340818999"]
What does Brenham's run game look like for next year? I think Montgomery's secondary will be able to contain Chapel (Even though we lost both our shutdown corners), but it's the run defense I am worried about. Both teams' strengths are their secondary, so the game will be decided on how well each team can run the ball.
[/quote]

Well from what I hear, we'll be pretty deep in that area.... 

[b]HB/DB Earnest Patterson-[/b] Soph. (5'6 140lbs 4.5) *DCTF picked him as our top soph.

[b]HB    Ryan Nunn-[/b] All I know about him is that he transferred here from Caney Creek. 

[b]WR/HB    Tyler Watts-[/b] Jr. (Not exactly sure on his numbers, but just a guess at it... 5'6" 140lbs 4.4) He saw a little time last year as a soph.  He is the probably most dangerous catching passes of the backfield, such as screens and wheel routes& as a slot WR.

I was impressed with Montgomery's secondary last year.  I'm thinking we'll be using some of our talented secondary on offense this year. (At WR, to free Chapel up )

Seems like Brenham doesn't have any big backs this year. That is my main concern for Montgomery's defense. Big Power Running Backs (like James White for Dawson) are gonna be the weakness for the defense. I think Brenham will win honesty, but it'll be an interesting game. I wish Montgomery could finally beat Brenham, but this just does not seem to be the year to do so. Last year was a much better chance.

BrenhamFan and all the people who pick Magnolia to be bad, be careful what you wish for. They will be better than you think. The group that are Juniors are going to be the best they have had there in a long while. There Freshman team beat up on alot of teams and some of the best Freshman that year were already on the Varsity. Make sure ya'll don't take them lightly, it is not your normal Magnolia team.

[quote name="dawgs20" post="1233561" timestamp="1341157270"]
BrenhamFan and all the people who pick Magnolia to be bad, be careful what you wish for. They will be better than you think. The group that are Juniors are going to be the best they have had there in a long while. There Freshman team beat up on alot of teams and some of the best Freshman that year were already on the Varsity. Make sure ya'll don't take them lightly, it is not your normal Magnolia team.
[/quote]

I was just saying that Magnolia has declined in the past few years, compared to where they were.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124