Bridge City baseball pitching staff has been impressive this season

[img]http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/13/14/71/2936392/4/628x471.jpg[/img]

[size=8pt]The Bridge City High School baseball team is led by an outstanding pitching staff. These four pitchers, Chase Shugart, back left, Hayden Guidry, Zach Smith, right, and Jake Lemoine, front, have an earned run average under 1. The team did not give up a single run in its playoff series last week. The leading pitcher, Jake Lemoine, threw a no-hitter on Friday. The staff has celebrated two no-hitters this season. Dave Ryan/The Enterprise Photo: Dave Ryan / BE[/size]

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Bridge-City-baseball-pitching-staff-has-been-3557837.php#ixzz1utzBjDjT

Yeah but those two games are a day apart you better have at least two good pitchers. I really do not think a one game series lets you know who the better team is imo. It seems as though a coach that chooses one game is relying more on the other team to do bad rather than his team to be better than their opponent. Even with that said I still think BC takes this game I think they continue error free ball. GO CARDS!!!

[quote name="allsportsguy" post="1222614" timestamp="1337133550"]
Yeah but those two games are a day apart you better have at least two good pitchers. I really do not think a one game series lets you know who the better team is imo. It seems as though a coach that chooses one game is relying more on the other team to do bad rather than his team to be better than their opponent. Even with that said I still think BC takes this game I think they continue error free ball. GO CARDS!!!
[/quote]

I disagree. Everyone knows BC is the deeper team, but in 1 game Huffman has the talent to play with and beat BC. In a series the odds are pretty much all in BC's favor.

Coach DeBerry isn't counting on BC to do bad, he just knows BC has more depth and his best chance to advance is in a 1 gamer.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1222634" timestamp="1337138080"]
[quote author=allsportsguy link=topic=99992.msg1222614#msg1222614 date=1337133550]
[/quote]

I disagree. Everyone knows BC is the deeper team, but in 1 game Huffman has the talent to play with and beat BC. In a series the odds are pretty much all in BC's favor.

Coach DeBerry isn't counting on BC to do bad, he just knows BC has more depth and his best chance to advance is in a 1 gamer.
[/quote]
Which goes back to my earlier point.  They are letting a coin flip decide who a better team is instead of a 3 game series. The underdog coach, if he wins the toss, will always pick the one game option. So is that really fair if BC does loose the one game, but probably will win a 3 game series? So, we are sending the less skilled team to the next level to represent our area? The 3 game series should be mandatory to get to state so there is no question the best talent is there.

[quote name="jenks" post="1222637" timestamp="1337139163"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=99992.msg1222634#msg1222634 date=1337138080]
[quote author=allsportsguy link=topic=99992.msg1222614#msg1222614 date=1337133550]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Which goes back to my earlier point.  They are letting a coin flip decide who a better team is instead of a 3 game series. The underdog coach, if he wins the toss, will always pick the one game option. So is that really fair if BC does loose the one game, but probably will win a 3 game series? So, we are sending the less skilled team to the next level to represent our area? The 3 game series should be mandatory to get to state so there is no question the best talent is there.
[/quote]

So what is BC scared to play Huffman in 1 game series? Yeah it's fair BC gets a chance to play the game don't they? The best team on thursday night will advance. The system is fine the way it is. If BC is really the 2nd best team in the state then they should win easily.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1222640" timestamp="1337139740"]
[quote author=jenks link=topic=99992.msg1222637#msg1222637 date=1337139163]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=99992.msg1222634#msg1222634 date=1337138080]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

So what is BC scared to play Huffman in 1 game series? Yeah it's fair BC gets a chance to play the game don't they? The best team on thursday night will advance. The system is fine the way it is. If BC is really the 2nd best team in the state then they should win easily.
[/quote]

I guess you can look at both sides of this situation and see positives and negatives for sure. I don't think anyone will dispute that the majority of the time "the best team" wins in a series style format. Yes the deeper teams that are considered to be better overall will always want a series and the ones that aren't as deep but could line up and play competitive for 1 game obviously want just want a 1 game winner take all scenario. The funny thing is how when the shoe is on the other foot.  ::) The majority of those teams that ride 1 guy to the state tourney have a problem winning it all because they have to play those 2 games so close to one another and the pitching just isn't there. On the other hand they are in the state tournament and who knows what happens, maybe they play another team in the same boat and win a 10-9 game instead of a 2-1.

If I'm not mistaken, Louisiana is a straight up 1 game playoff system all the way to state, not even an option for a 3 game series so you can build your team a little differently. That's a tough way to win it all right there IMHO.

Rake1

[quote name="Rake1" post="1222674" timestamp="1337163382"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=99992.msg1222640#msg1222640 date=1337139740]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess you can look at both sides of this situation and see positives and negatives for sure. I don't think anyone will dispute that the majority of the time "the best team" wins in a series style format. Yes the deeper teams that are considered to be better overall will always want a series and the ones that aren't as deep but could line up and play competitive for 1 game obviously want just want a 1 game winner take all scenario. The funny thing is how when the shoe is on the other foot.  ::) The majority of those teams that ride 1 guy to the state tourney have a problem winning it all because they have to play those 2 games so close to one another and the pitching just isn't there. On the other hand they are in the state tournament and who knows what happens, maybe they play another team in the same boat and win a 10-9 game instead of a 2-1.

If I'm not mistaken, Louisiana is a straight up 1 game playoff system all the way to state, not even an option for a 3 game series so you can build your team a little differently. That's a tough way to win it all right there IMHO.

Rake1
[/quote]

Well Said Rake1..... I believe if BC can keep the errors at 0 then we can win this game!!!!! How early are you guys getting to the game? Heard the stands could fill up fast.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1222698" timestamp="1337170574"]
I understand the pros and cons of 1 game versus 3 game series. What I don't understand is this insistence on baseball playoffs going solely to 3 game series.

If that's the case, should basketball go to 3 game series during the playoffs?
[/quote]

I think so you don't play one bad game and get knocked out of the playoffs when you feel you are the better team.

IMO BC should just do away with Basketball......LOL

[quote name="Rake1" post="1222674" timestamp="1337163382"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=99992.msg1222640#msg1222640 date=1337139740]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Rake1
[/quote]

It's not just Louisiana alot of other states have a straight 1 game playoff system.

[quote name="Critter" post="1222700" timestamp="1337171757"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=99992.msg1222698#msg1222698 date=1337170574]
I understand the pros and cons of 1 game versus 3 game series. What I don't understand is this insistence on baseball playoffs going solely to 3 game series.

[/quote]

I think so you don't play one bad game and get knocked out of the playoffs when you feel you are the better team.

[/quote]

If basketball went to 3 game series, they would have to extend the season, therefore pushing baseball season back. Right now, basketball plays two rounds of playoffs per week, with regional tourney games back to back. Baseball plays 1 round of playoffs a week, including the regional semis and finals. Basketball only takes 2 1/2 weeks to reach the state tourney, baseball takes over a month to reach the state tourney.

Personally, I have no problem with having a coin flip deciding if it's a 1 gamer or 3 game series.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1222745" timestamp="1337176202"]
[quote author=Critter link=topic=99992.msg1222700#msg1222700 date=1337171757]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=99992.msg1222698#msg1222698 date=1337170574]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If basketball went to 3 game series, they would have to extend the season, therefore pushing baseball season back. Right now, basketball plays two rounds of playoffs per week, with regional tourney games back to back. Baseball plays 1 round of playoffs a week, including the regional semis and finals. Basketball only takes 2 1/2 weeks to reach the state tourney, baseball takes over a month to reach the state tourney.

Personally, I have no problem with having a coin flip deciding if it's a 1 gamer or 3 game series.
[/quote]

Atleast 1 gamers save me on gas :) 

[quote name="Critter" post="1222756" timestamp="1337177141"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=99992.msg1222745#msg1222745 date=1337176202]
[quote author=Critter link=topic=99992.msg1222700#msg1222700 date=1337171757]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Atleast 1 gamers save me on gas :)
[/quote]
That is true Critter!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• We'll see. I don't trust us. 
    • Starting pitching has been shaky the last few weeks due to some injuries outside of Hagen Smith.  He goes tomorrow, so y’all should be fine 
    • Manchin may get it but any mention of the radical left that wanted to get rid of the filibuster and end almost 220 years of history because the Democrats are mad?  The House and Senate are obviously different legislative bodies with entirely different election processes and rules for a reason. The House can vote on laws with a simple majority vote. The Senate put rules in place that it would make it much tougher to pass laws. Laws should be difficult to pass. The Senate is often the holdup of the right and left. It takes 60 votes to break the filibuster so any law will almost certainly require agreement at least in part, from opposing sides of an issue. Because they can’t get laws passed, the radical left is like a baby having a tantrum and wants to change over 200 years of history and make it potentially ridiculously easy to pass laws. I have seen current poll maps and it is possible for the Republicans to sweep into complete power in November but by the tiniest margin. That would possibly mean that a single vote margin in both houses could enact what you might call the radical right laws. There would be nothing that the Democrats could do to stop any legislation whatsoever if the left (they are all radical, minus Manchin) got their filibuster rule changed.  That is where the current filibuster comes into play as any new law would require several Democrats to agree with the majority Republicans and vice versa.  Do you want the potential for your radical right to have free rein as the radical left wants by killing the filibuster or is the radical left just as (if not more) dangerous? Let’s see if we have a history in this area? Oh yeah, the Democrats changed the rules in the Senate to allow federal judges to not have to overcome the filibuster. Obama was not getting his federal judge nominations passed and being angry, they changed the rules instead of nominating more moderate justices. They were warned that it would come back to bite them. They didn’t care and chose the nuclear option to change the rules. Oops! Any guess how Trump got all of his Supreme Court nominees passed against strong Democrat opposition? The Democrats got rid of the filibuster for federal judges after another tantrum   So when you are so worried about the radical right, are you equally concerned in what the radical left is always doing by changing rules and history which were put into place just for situations like we are in? So while Manchin gets it, what about his other 50 colleagues (49 + Harris)?  What concerns you more, Abbott and Paxton or the Democrats who want to make it to where if the Republicans do take over, they can go wild… at least in your mind? 
    • MODS please remove that ISD twitter link! I had no idea it would copy the whole posting. I only highlighted the portion about the venue change. Sorry about that!
  • Topics