is it time for gilligan to retire???

Guest basketball25

Guest basketball25
shy, by the way texas st is also 16-9 overall  rpi-19, sos-12, 15-9  against top 100 teams and also 6-5 against top 1-50. They have 29 games left win 19 of them them they will get  a automatic bid!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lefty... I don't have any ties to the team at all. I have just seen many well coached baseball teams before and this certainly is not one.  As a matter of fact many of Gilligan's team are not well coached because he doesn't coach and that goes for his assistants as well. For example how many cut off men have you seen Lamar hit this year..? I could probably count on one hand. Defense is very suspect. Routine plays on turf are botched. Mental mistakes at critical times, not getting bunts down, pitchers not fielding bunts, dropping routine fly balls (The ball doesn't take bad hops in the air). I could go on and on. These are things well coached baseball teams get done 95% of the time. These aspects of the game do not take talent. It is how players are prepared for those situations. So this all leads back to the poor coaching staff and how they prepare the team for games mentally and physically. The game has passed Gilligan up and it is time for him to ride off down Gilligan Way and go play some more golf and stop taking a pay check from a cash strapped university.

Collin DeLome worked out there before heading to spring training this year. I've done multiple stories on former players working out there Floyd, Stutes, Millar, Harrington, Ben Weber even though he was a UH guy. They don't need the facilities they choose to go. Also other guys like Terry Puhl swing by and it had nothing to do with Lamar. Rice doesn't come to Lamar to play anymore without the friendship between Wayne Graham. The Beck is outdated compared to the new facilities at Texas St and Sam. Thats ehy those two are bringing in bigger names than LU gets. And I'm very aware of Texas State's numbers but don't count on an auto bid the SLC has turned into a one bid league. NW St had multiple 40 win seasons and have been snubbed. I have no problem with people having opinions but just offer a replacement. Last thing I hate hearing the term lost a team. If you don't have pride enough in yourself, your family and the school that helps pay for an education to go out there a leave it on the field because of a manager I don't have a lot of respect for you.

Guest basketball25
if texas st wins 35 games and has a rpi in top 35 they will get in!! also i have been saying this whole time lamar needs to bring in dan heefner from dallas baptist!!

Yeah Rice is the only big school that will do a home and home series with Lamar. The Beck is outdated but that doesn't mean Lamar can't go play most of the bigger schools like many of the other Southland schools. Lamar doesn't because Gilligan would rather bring in Prarie View A&M or Texas Southern to build up that win total. Again it's all about Gilligan and his personal achievements. You hear about guys being able to put their neck out on the line and will do whatever it takes to win for that certain coach. I don't believe that is the case for Gilligan. The team feeds off it's leaders and the first in command is the head coach and if he isn't someone who can motivate you've lost the team. Yes, college athletes need to motivated and know that a coach believes in them.

How do you know if it is talent or coaching by sitting in the stands or at home reading a sports forum. Everyone complaining thinks they have this all figured out, but have no idea what is really going on at Lamar Baseball. Lamar Baseball year and year out has had excellent talent and this shows in the number of players that have been drafted.  The talent is there and it has always been there.
  “Gilligan has lost the team nobody respects him as coach.” This is to the person who commented on Gilligan. If you believe this and understand this, you would know just how hard it is to recruit and to bring players to Lamar. You would also understand if you do not respect your coach you will not play as a team and you become an INDIVIDUALIST!!!  Not good for the concept of team play.
  Cleaning house is not the answer to this program. Moving the program from the philosophy of 1970 to 2012 could make a huge difference. With the new BBCOR bats the game has changed and evolved. Small ball works. Make things happen. GILLIGAN MIGHT JUST NEED TO TRY THIS.

[quote name="baseball25" post="1203456" timestamp="1333020581"]
if texas st wins 35 games and has a rpi in top 35 they will get in!! also i have been saying this whole time lamar needs to bring in dan heefner from dallas baptist!!
[/quote]

Rob Walton would be another good one! Don't know if you could get him though..

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87158&SPID=10337&DB_OEM_ID=17000&ATCLID=1136462&Q_SEASON=2011

Guest basketball25
yeah but isn't oral coming to the southland? Why come to lamar and have to rebuild when you already have your program built, atleast with heefner he would be coming into a descent baseball conference, but also dallas baptist is going to wac next yr so who knows!!! or they can go get brain green from kentucky or brad bohannon take a look.

http://dbupatriots.com/coaches.aspx?rc=117&path=basebal

http://interactive.ukathletics.com/baseball/coaches.html

Baseball12- You said it's hard to recruit uh... yeah somewhat but not entirely hard. Texas is loaded with talent and you have a "Hall of Fame" coach right?! You can also find Southland caliber players and players that also fit your team style that can contribute. Teams like Southeastern know how they play, it's small ball even with the old bats. They bring in players who can handle the bat and play defense. You said talent is here and always has been so apparently Lamar is getting some recruits. Maybe it's what is done once they get to Beaumont, Tx or should I say lack thereof. Look at the roster turnover at Lamar. How many players have quit in the last 4-5 years? Cleaning house is the answer because there are many more underlying things that go on with this program that I won't mention at this time.

Also does anyone know how many pitches Eric Harrington threw at Central Arkansas? My guess would be 130-150 give or take a few. He had arm trouble last year. I'm guessing that's the sign of a good coach throwing a pitcher for 9 innings trying to get a "win".

[quote name="baseball25" post="1203510" timestamp="1333030780"]
yeah but isn't oral coming to the southland? Why come to lamar and have to rebuild when you already have your program built, atleast with heefner he would be coming into a descent baseball conference, but also dallas baptist is going to wac next yr so who knows!!! or they can go get brain green from kentucky or brad bohannon take a look.

http://dbupatriots.com/coaches.aspx?rc=117&path=basebal

[/quote]

I like the Dallas Baptist coach as well. I don't think you could get a head coach in the SEC to jump to LU, but you might be able to lure an Assistant to LU for the head coach chance. I forgot Oral Roberts is coming to the Southland.

[quote name="baseball25" post="1203512" timestamp="1333031020"]
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/awards/assistant-coach-of-the-year/2011/2612626.html

or Chad Holbrook
[/quote]

hahahahaha, I like the way you think, but that is for sure never going to happen. I don't think LU could lure in the trainer at South Carolina. ;D ;D

Do you mean clean house as in just Gilligan?  Yes, you can bring great talent to Lamar, but the head coach ultimately makes all the decisions. If players do not like the head coach, they will not play for him. The rest of the coaching staff is doing a great job, but they are still under Coach G's total control......

Guest basketball25
lol lol i like to throw everything out there lol, thats what I was meaning with kentucky those guys are the assistant coaches I named!!!

Gilligan definately has to go. I wouldn't mind if the assistants were gone as well. I think the program needs a breathe of fresh air. A young hungry coach that can change the programs overall attitude and get it in the right direction. Lets face it Lamar has been mediocre at best and that is ok with Gilligan. Making the tournament is his goal then after that its on to making money at camps and golfing. He honestly doesn't care how many players get drafted or sign professional contracts. May be hard to believe but that's the honest truth. He also doesn't care if any shows up to the games, that's a fact. The ballpark is supposed to be enjoyable and entertainment for the community. He could care less about that. Yeah he's a baseball coach first and foremost but at some point you have to interact with your community and give them something to get excited about.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1203506" timestamp="1333030168"]
[quote author=baseball25 link=topic=97698.msg1203456#msg1203456 date=1333020581]
[/quote]

Good thought Scalp..I'm a LU alum living in Tulsa and I just don't see Walton leaving ORU for Lamar...He has better facilities, a solid program he built, good administration support and a nicer city to live in...If he moves I think it would be to a major program ie..Big 12 or SEC type...my 2¢..

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87158&SPID=10337&DB_OEM_ID=17000&ATCLID=1136462&Q_SEASON=2011
[/quote]

[quote name="88Warrior" post="1203688" timestamp="1333050116"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=97698.msg1203506#msg1203506 date=1333030168]
[quote author=baseball25 link=topic=97698.msg1203456#msg1203456 date=1333020581]
[/quote]

Good thought Scalp..I'm a LU alum living in Tulsa and I just don't see Walton leaving ORU for Lamar...He has better facilities, a solid program he built, good administration support and a nicer city to live in...If he moves I think it would be to a major program ie..Big 12 or SEC type...my 2¢..

[/quote]
[/quote]

Your probably right. There has to be a good one out there somewhere.

It may sound like I am simple,but when our son signed on to play We signed on to be fans and supporters.I understand about being frustrated when a team doesnt play up to their potential and when a coach isnt doing what we think is right.If coach G is ever replaced I will be one of the first in line to tell him how much I respect him and appreciate everything he has done for Lamar.I will also be one of the first to tell the new coach that I will be cheering for his team.Oh by the way I am also one of those people that wait till it is all over win or lose to tell these young men thanks for playing and good job.

[quote name="lefty3162" post="1203868" timestamp="1333072818"]
It may sound like I am simple,but when our son signed on to play We signed on to be fans and supporters.I understand about being frustrated when a team doesnt play up to their potential and when a coach isnt doing what we think is right.If coach G is ever replaced I will be one of the first in line to tell him how much I respect him and appreciate everything he has done for Lamar.I will also be one of the first to tell the new coach that I will be cheering for his team.Oh by the way I am also one of those people that wait till it is all over win or lose to tell these young men thanks for playing and good job.
[/quote]

I agree lefty and I think that the open discussion isn't just about this season. It's the past 5 or 6 seasons. I think everyone commenting is trying to do it in a way as to not just stomp on Coach G. I think most have said that he has done great things at LU and has built a decent baseball program. The program that was built has been on a recent decline and should be evaluated as to where the team should go. I think most have respected Coach G, but my opinion and others is it's time to go.

Coach G has done everything he can and now it's time to bow out gracefully.

::)

The program is rusting with age.  That's the only red that been put on this season for baseball.

Yeah, yeah, he's been a good coach, great for LU, but sometimes in Kenny Rogers's words, you got to know when to fold 'em. ;)

Holding on because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Fold'em Coach G. 

Don't you think the assistant coaches are having a hard time recruiting when many players from other schools do not want to come to Lamar because of Gilligan? I wouldn't blame the assistant coaches for the recruiting, since they have something holding them back. Theres a lot more to the problem than everyone thinks.

[quote name="Baseball12" post="1204762" timestamp="1333216939"]
Don't you think the assistant coaches are having a hard time recruiting when many players from other schools do not want to come to Lamar because of Gilligan? I wouldn't blame the assistant coaches for the recruiting, since they have something holding them back. Theres a lot more to the problem than everyone thinks.
[/quote]

For fact, I know someone who All-state pitcher in Texas who refused to accept Lamar offer due to Gilligan and His ISLAND and choose another D1 school. 

Gilligan needs to Go!  If Lamar is smart, they'd start planning his retirement party and invite him to it.  Then he might get the hint.  Otherwise, he'd better buy more lotto tickets than he did yesterday.  That might be his best numbers of the year!!!!!

If you thought he lost this team and they've given up you should've seen the ninth inning last night. Everyone was fired up. Eric Harrington very vocal and Coach G was too. Team lost 2-1 but showed life. They've looked inspired today. G out of the dugout arguing a blown call at third and they are scrapping again leading 6-3 in the 8th against a good Southeastern club. Wishing the team the best.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin