Trolling Motor Electronics Question

Ok. Me and a buddy are in an argument and need some more opinions. I have a Minnkota Maxxum 70T. I emailed the Minn Kota folk and they told me that Motor pulls 42 amps at high speed. And the instruction manual says, "USE ONLY 6 GAUGE WIRE TO EXTEND POWER LEAD." . Now Academy sports has a trolling motor plug that is rated for 24 volt motors as mine is and is 10 guage." This is the biggest one they carry any my buddy, who knows more about bass lures than I do about my own mother, claims it will work fine. he says he's sure it would be plenty. I think it would get too hot and melt and short out.

What do you guys think?

It depends on the length you're planning on running the wire. There is also a formula that states e=ir, which means e=voltage, i=current or amperage, and r=resistance. So if you're using copper wiring the resistance will stay the same no matter what. And that means the higher voltage with cause a lower current or amperage.

So, for instance, if you have a 12 volt system that is run 18 ft from the stern to the bow and are using 8 guage wire, a 24 volt system can use 16 guage wire for the same length run.

Now I'm not saying to run 16 ga wire, I'm just giving examples. West Marine has a good training tool on their website called the WEST ADVISOR. You can look there and it will give a graph of how big a guage wire should be used for just about any situation.

I work in the boating business and every 24 volt plug I've seen has been 10 guage or smaller, so you should be alright with that. But remember to put an inline 50 amp fuse or breaker switch when you change your wire. This will keep the motor from burning up if it turns on and the blades aren't turning ( if it's locked in the stowed position).

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder