USSSA Special

I'm not bashing anyone on here, but how about just playing baseball. Who cares if a kid 9 is playing with 8's or all of these other issues. I know it's breaking rules, but in the grand scheme of things just play baseball. Too many people getting caught up in all of the other stuff. When I was contacted by both organizations, I told them my kids just want to play baseball. I don't care about USSSA or Nations. For me and my team, as long as the kids are having fun and getting better, that's all I care about. With that said, when I seen the open tournament for this past weekend, I felt that my team wasn't ready to play other teams two levels above them and pulled my team out weeks ago. Good luck to everyone this baseball season!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MJB, thanks for clearing up. After VP 93 said something about local director having teams in every age division, just wanted to make sure people weren't confused. I wonder how many other teams actually do this?  Seems like it would be easy to get away with, especially out of town tournaments.

Some of you guys would bitch and moan about anything.."they should have done this, I would have done this"..just stop you're not that important. let me give you a little history of what it's been like playing under Nations here the past 5 years. Most of the time you wouldn't find out till Thur or Fri if the tourney would fill at all, if it did then you either got to play the same 3 or 4 teams each time or was asked to play up an age bracket. 90% of all teams playing were local teams only. If you wanted to play other teams you had to got to Htown or LA to get that. USSSA 1st tourney has 68 teams signed up with less than a dozen being local. if you local teams want that to continue then I would suggest you start signing up for their tourneys and supporting an org that is trying to bring better teams to our park to play. Had Morgan been as proactive the past 5 years as he is this year, then this situation wouldn't have ever happened.

Now to clear up a few comments; The guy complaining about the director having a team, the Gladiators run the nations tourneys locally and have a team for every age bracket playing in all their tourneys..get  a clue.

Renegades you chose to play up an age bracket at Nations instead of playing against teams in your own age bracket..please explaing to me how that is better for your players and what were the results from it?

As for how the tourney went this weekend, it was unfortunate about the weather on Sat but they did a great job of being fair to all teams. Sunday ended up being a great day to play, and I think most teams enjoyed themselves and will hopefully come back. Ford park is one of the best facilities around, I would prefer to play most of my games here against better teams. I hope you will support it so they can continue to build on what just started.

[quote name="TX_RENEGADES" post="1181227" timestamp="1329749714"]
I have done mostly USSSA back home but did a tourney 1 age division up earlier this month NATIONS director contacted me about it. I think that if directors are going to make such a move they should send out an email about it, not just take it up on themselves to make a class. I dont agree with some of the things that went down, but Im glad we didnt play this tournament. If my team decides to play USSSA I will most likely play at BIG LEAGUE DREAMS or LA. No hard feelings about the guy in charge of this one, but If I was in his shoes I would rescheduled just so people wont talk about " REMEMBER THE 1ST TOUNEY OUT HERE IT WAS ..........." But he did have a good turnout.
[/quote]
If im not mistaking all the 11's in Nations tournament a couple weeks ago had to play up with the 12U.. but for what ever reason you didn't pull out of that tournament... I'm sure Nations had their reasoning for MAKING all the 11's play with the 12's but know your on here criticizing our local USSSA guy for opening up the 11U bracket and saying your not gonna play USSSA local because of it ???....as Chris Carter would say "COME ON MAN"....

[quote name="2 Sons Playing" post="1181264" timestamp="1329754814"]
Some of you guys would censored and moan about anything.."they should have done this, I would have done this"..just stop you're not that important. let me give you a little history of what it's been like playing under Nations here the past 5 years. Most of the time you wouldn't find out till Thur or Fri if the tourney would fill at all, if it did then you either got to play the same 3 or 4 teams each time or was asked to play up an age bracket. 90% of all teams playing were local teams only. If you wanted to play other teams you had to got to Htown or LA to get that. USSSA 1st tourney has 68 teams signed up with less than a dozen being local. if you local teams want that to continue then I would suggest you start signing up for their tourneys and supporting an org that is trying to bring better teams to our park to play. Had Morgan been as proactive the past 5 years as he is this year, then this situation wouldn't have ever happened.

Now to clear up a few comments; The guy complaining about the director having a team, the Gladiators run the nations tourneys locally and have a team for every age bracket playing in all their tourneys..get  a clue.

Renegades you chose to play up an age bracket at Nations instead of playing against teams in your own age bracket..please explaing to me how that is better for your players and what were the results from it?

As for how the tourney went this weekend, it was unfortunate about the weather on Sat but they did a great job of being fair to all teams. Sunday ended up being a great day to play, and I think most teams enjoyed themselves and will hopefully come back. Ford park is one of the best facilities around, I would prefer to play most of my games here against better teams. I hope you will support it so they can continue to build on what just started.
[/quote]

This "situtation" happened because of a disgruntled ex gladiator parent. As for the director having teams in his tournament, the difference is he is not coaching any of them.

[quote name="VP 93......" post="1181269" timestamp="1329755213"]
[quote author=TX_RENEGADES link=topic=96232.msg1181227#msg1181227 date=1329749714]
I have done mostly USSSA back home but did a tourney 1 age division up earlier this month NATIONS director contacted me about it. I think that if directors are going to make such a move they should send out an email about it, not just take it up on themselves to make a class. I dont agree with some of the things that went down, but Im glad we didnt play this tournament. If my team decides to play USSSA I will most likely play at BIG LEAGUE DREAMS or LA. No hard feelings about the guy in charge of this one, but If I was in his shoes I would rescheduled just so people wont talk about " REMEMBER THE 1ST TOUNEY OUT HERE IT WAS ..........." But he did have a good turnout.
[/quote]
If im not mistaking all the 11's in Nations tournament a couple weeks ago had to play up with the 12U.. but for what ever reason you didn't pull out of that tournament... I'm sure Nations had their reasoning for MAKING all the 11's play with the 12's but know your on here criticizing our local USSSA guy for opening up the 11U bracket and saying your not gonna play USSSA local because of it ???....as Chris Carter would say "COME ON MAN"....
[/quote]

Talent wise, 11 Elite playing 12 select, is way different than 11 AA playing 11 Major.

[quote name="rounder17" post="1181270" timestamp="1329755450"]
[quote author=2 Sons Playing link=topic=96232.msg1181264#msg1181264 date=1329754814]
Some of you guys would censored and moan about anything.."they should have done this, I would have done this"..just stop you're not that important. let me give you a little history of what it's been like playing under Nations here the past 5 years. Most of the time you wouldn't find out till Thur or Fri if the tourney would fill at all, if it did then you either got to play the same 3 or 4 teams each time or was asked to play up an age bracket. 90% of all teams playing were local teams only. If you wanted to play other teams you had to got to Htown or LA to get that. USSSA 1st tourney has 68 teams signed up with less than a dozen being local. if you local teams want that to continue then I would suggest you start signing up for their tourneys and supporting an org that is trying to bring better teams to our park to play. Had Morgan been as proactive the past 5 years as he is this year, then this situation wouldn't have ever happened.

[/quote]

[b]This "situtation" happened because of a disgruntled ex gladiator parent[/b]. As for the director having teams in his tournament, the difference is he is not coaching any of them.
[/quote]
I beg to differ....just rememeber theres two sides to every story...and then theres the TRUTH.. but thats not the truth behind this "situtation"...

[quote name="VP 93......" post="1181275" timestamp="1329756035"]
[quote author=rounder17 link=topic=96232.msg1181270#msg1181270 date=1329755450]
[quote author=2 Sons Playing link=topic=96232.msg1181264#msg1181264 date=1329754814]

[/quote]

[b]This "situtation" happened because of a disgruntled ex gladiator parent[/b]. As for the director having teams in his tournament, the difference is he is not coaching any of them.
[/quote]
I beg to differ....just rememeber theres two sides to every story...and then theres the TRUTH.. but thats not the truth behind this "situtation"...
[/quote]

Oh. So he would've went to usssa and asked to become a director, had he still been with Gladiators? Doesn't make much sense to me. The problem is people are gonna be divided because of the situation. Me personally, my team will play both Nations and Usssa. Both have flaws, and some people have bad experiences with each. At the end of the day the kids get to play baseball, and that's all that matters. As for playing up, I personally don't have a problem with it. In the end, it should only make your team better.

Some of you guys would censored and moan about anything.."they should have done this, I would have done this"..just stop you're not that important. let me give you a little history of what it's been like playing under Nations here the past 5 years. Most of the time you wouldn't find out till Thur or Fri if the tourney would fill at all, if it did then you either got to play the same 3 or 4 teams each time or was asked to play up an age bracket. [b]90% of all teams playing were local teams only.[/b] If you wanted to play other teams you had to got to Htown or LA to get that. USSSA 1st tourney has 68 teams signed up with less than a dozen being local. if you local teams want that to continue then I would suggest you start signing up for their tourneys and supporting an org that is trying to bring better teams to our park to play. Had Morgan been as proactive the past 5 years as he is this year, then this situation wouldn't have ever happened.

[/quote]
And even when some out of towners did come and play you (are atleast we did) still had to play the same local teams...and when asked why! Well where still waiting on the answer....

Guest TX_RENEGADES

[b]Renegades you chose to play up an age bracket at Nations instead of playing against teams in your own age bracket..please explaing to me how that is better for your players and what were the results from it?[/b]
[/quote]

Yeah I chose too after I was called on a week before about it. My team was 11u Elite at the time of that tournament now we are select(NATIONS). My team in USSSA is also AA and my kids are far from ready to play major and AAA teams, that why I pulled out of the tourney. You want to talk about results, yeah we got smashed 10-0,8-4 but I did it with LITTLE LEAGUE TALENT Kids playing against 12u SELECT kids. Im not talking down on anyone, We are new to the area and we all know it takes time for the kids to gel together. I have revamped my team since that tournament and added more pitching and Bigger bats so hopefully we are blessed that those outcomes will be different when we play up if we have too. I was told it would be hard to make a competitive team since ALL the talent was taken already, I just hope we dont catch anyone ASLEEP!

[quote name="rounder17" post="1181283" timestamp="1329756685"]
[quote author=VP 93...... link=topic=96232.msg1181275#msg1181275 date=1329756035]
[quote author=rounder17 link=topic=96232.msg1181270#msg1181270 date=1329755450]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh. So he would've went to usssa and asked to become a director, had he still been with Gladiators? Doesn't make much sense to me. The problem is people are gonna be divided because of the situation. Me personally, my team will play both Nations and Usssa. [b]Both have flaws, and some people have bad experiences with each. At the end of the day the kids get to play baseball, and that's all that matters. As for playing up, I personally don't have a problem with it. In the end, it should only make your team better.[/b][/quote]
AMEN!!

[quote name="TX_RENEGADES" post="1181288" timestamp="1329756963"]

[b]Renegades you chose to play up an age bracket at Nations instead of playing against teams in your own age bracket..please explaing to me how that is better for your players and what were the results from it?[/b]
[/quote]

Yeah I chose too after I was called on a week before about it. My team was 11u Elite at the time of that tournament now we are select(NATIONS). My team in USSSA is also AA and my kids are far from ready to play major and AAA teams, that why I pulled out of the tourney. You want to talk about results, yeah we got smashed 10-0,8-4 but I did it with LITTLE LEAGUE TALENT Kids playing against 12u SELECT kids. Im not talking down on anyone, We are new to the area and we all know it takes time for the kids to gel together. I have revamped my team since that tournament and added more pitching and Bigger bats so hopefully we are blessed that those outcomes will be different when we play up if we have too. I was told it would be hard to make a competitive team since ALL the talent was taken already, I just hope we dont catch anyone ASLEEP!
[/quote]

TX_RENEGADES,

Don't you also go by... "StrikeOut" on here?????? :o

Guest TX_RENEGADES
[quote name="VP 93......" post="1181293" timestamp="1329757349"]
[quote author=TX_RENEGADES link=topic=96232.msg1181288#msg1181288 date=1329756963]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't you also go by... "StrikeOut" on here?????? :o
[/quote]

No but if you want to scrimmage I will have that kid pitch against yall if you want to see him.

Unbelievable how perception can be so different.  I have coached select ball for several years and played in both organizations.  Last year, the answer for our team to play at Ford Park (our bracket never made), the Nations Director asked us to recruit teams to come (I thought that was his job).  BTW, not sure how many of the Nations events we played in where the Director was even there. 

Now, you have a different option.  Teams came from Laredo, Corpus, Dallas, Sinton, Louisiana.  Brackets were big.  New competition for local teams.  How did he do it?  Hustling.  Networking.  Marketing.  Dunno but thank goodness someone is doing something to get teams here -- I hate the weekends in Houston. 

And what about flexibility?  The 8U bracket was open.  It became obvious that there was enough to split and balance talent.  So, what did he do???  Split and had a aa bracket and a aaa.  That is what you want a Director to do.  Where did his team play?  aaa. 

Too many of you people are trophy chasers.  That is the part of Select Baseball (and baseball in general) that is detrimental to the game and to the boys playing it.  There is not enough emphasis on player development and too much interest in a stupid trophy at a weekend tournament.  Why did some people drop out?  Because they didn't think they would win.  Win, win, win.  Pitch a kid 100+ pitches on a weekend -- win, win, win.  Play the same kids in the same positions all the time.  Win, win, win.  At 7-12, the focus should be on player development, not the result of some weekend tournament.  So, let the boys play.  Let them compete and you never know what will happen.  Hopefully, you make it fun for them so they will keep playing. 

And, thank you to Tillery for doing a great job this weekend.  To deal with that kind of adversity on his first tournament.  Are you kidding me.  He brought a helicopter for all your kids.  If this is the first tournament, imagine what happens next.  So, stop complaining and realize that something great just happened.  (and, btw, all the related local industry said thanks too -- over 3000 in the gates on Sunday, hotels, restaurants, etc.) 

Guest TX_RENEGADES
Just like ROUNDER17 said as long as the kids have fun. I never said I wouldnt play USSSA out here, I just wont play up if my kids are not ready for it or if they dont relay the message about it. I have always played USSSA and I dont plan on stopping. SETX RENEGADES BASEBALL  will play USSSA and NATIONS....... Or should I say whatever my parents want to play or where they want to play.

Sorry if I hit a wrong button there, but I was just saying my opinion.

[quote name="TX_RENEGADES" post="1181227" timestamp="1329749714"]
I have done mostly USSSA back home but did a tourney 1 age division up earlier this month NATIONS director contacted me about it. I think that if directors are going to make such a move they should send out an email about it, not just take it up on themselves to make a class. I dont agree with some of the things that went down, but Im glad we didnt play this tournament. [b]If my team decides to play USSSA I will most likely play at BIG LEAGUE DREAMS or LA. No hard feelings about the guy in charge of this one[/b], but If I was in his shoes I would rescheduled just so people wont talk about " REMEMBER THE 1ST TOUNEY OUT HERE IT WAS ..........." But he did have a good turnout.
[/quote][quote author=TX_RENEGADES link=topic=96232.msg1181301#msg1181301 date=1329758092]
Just like ROUNDER17 said as long as the kids have fun. [b]I never said I wouldnt play USSSA out here[/b], I just wont play up if my kids are not ready for it or if they dont relay the message about it. I have always played USSSA and I dont plan on stopping. SETX RENEGADES BASEBALL  will play USSSA and NATIONS....... Or should I say whatever my parents want to play or where they want to play.

[/quote]

Sorry for the misunderstanding...my bad!!

We played in the 8AA Division.  I can honestly say I am happy that they chose to only play the 1 full game.  It still poured down on us Saturday Night.  The only two things I experienced was questionable or maybe 1 is normal I just never experienced was.  1 Team Forfeited Saturday so 6 Points were defaulted to a Team that never played which allowed them to be a Higher Seed.  I really didn't think that was fair but maybe this is normal and I will have to get use to...Is this COMMON?  and the only other experience was the Umpire didn't know the Run Rules/Innings to stop the game.  Other than that it was a good experience because It's all ABOUT the BOYS playing on the fields and watching them Compete and Have fun at doing something they enjoy doing.

Guest TX_RENEGADES
[quote name="VP 93......" post="1181309" timestamp="1329758494"]
[quote author=TX_RENEGADES link=topic=96232.msg1181227#msg1181227 date=1329749714]
I have done mostly USSSA back home but did a tourney 1 age division up earlier this month NATIONS director contacted me about it. I think that if directors are going to make such a move they should send out an email about it, not just take it up on themselves to make a class. I dont agree with some of the things that went down, but Im glad we didnt play this tournament. [b]If my team decides to play USSSA I will most likely play at BIG LEAGUE DREAMS or LA. No hard feelings about the guy in charge of this one[/b], but If I was in his shoes I would rescheduled just so people wont talk about " REMEMBER THE 1ST TOUNEY OUT HERE IT WAS ..........." But he did have a good turnout.
[/quote][quote author=TX_RENEGADES link=topic=96232.msg1181301#msg1181301 date=1329758092]
Just like ROUNDER17 said as long as the kids have fun. [b]I never said I wouldnt play USSSA out here[/b], I just wont play up if my kids are not ready for it or if they dont relay the message about it. I have always played USSSA and I dont plan on stopping. SETX RENEGADES BASEBALL  will play USSSA and NATIONS....... Or should I say whatever my parents want to play or where they want to play.

[/quote]

Sorry for the misunderstanding...my bad!!
[/quote]

No problem VP93 ...... I just wanted to make sure we dont start on the wrong page here, never met you before and I did get to see your team play this weekend, good kids. I just think there should of been a AA class for 11s but it wouldnt of mattered cause of the rain screwing things up

[quote name="TRUEBLUEFAN" post="1181310" timestamp="1329758682"]
We played in the 8AA Division.  I can honestly say I am happy that they chose to only play the 1 full game.  It still poured down on us Saturday Night.  The only two things I experienced was questionable or maybe 1 is normal I just never experienced was.  1 Team Forfeited Saturday so 6 Points were defaulted to a Team that never played which allowed them to be a Higher Seed.  I really didn't think that was fair but maybe this is normal and I will have to get use to...Is this COMMON?  and the only other experience was the toUmpire didn't know the Run Rules/Innings  stop the game.  Other than that it was a good experience because It's all ABOUT the BOYS playing on the fields and watching them Compete and Have fun at doing something they enjoy doing.
[/quote]

Yeah there were problems with the umpires but that is expected when they do both Nations and USSSA..hopefully they (umpires) will read up on the rules....

[quote name="oldman" post="1181158" timestamp="1329710559"]
All nations games are 1:40 time limit ( finish what you start ) in pool play.  In pool play you don't have to have a winner.  Once bracket play begins then time limit is still 1:40 , but you must have a winner.  Only the championship games are no time limit , unless agreed upon by both teams to set a time limit.

Speaking from experience,  using Nations as an example, most of the problems with coaches come from the lower level teams.  Elite or Premier level coaches for the most part are up to date on the rules and workings of a tourney.

I work primarily at Nations Tourneys in Humble and some in Spring.  I know for a fact that the majority of the umpires used there are High school level for Houston TASO.  If the umpires used in the tourney this weekend were from Houston I would be willing to bet they are not TASO umpires.
[/quote]
Only 4 where from Houston the others where all local and yes they (Houston) were TASO Umpires

Sorry for
No problem VP93 ...... I just wanted to make sure we dont start on the wrong page here, never met you before and I did get to see your team play this weekend, good kids. I just think there should of been a AA class for 11s but it wouldnt of mattered cause of the rain screwing things up
[/quote]

Look, Renegade, it won't hurt your kids to play aaa teams on a weekend.  It won't hurt them to lose.  Some would say that is how you get better.  I do think it is important to find competitive balance, but don't look to big organizations putting together tournaments to always be able to fix it.  Nations uses arbitrary percentages (x % Elite, x % Select, etc.)  At least USSSA is there and takes a visual look at your team then you get rated.  Usually, if you have not played any events, you start aaa (to guard against trophy chasers).  If they have good information ahead of time, they can adjust prior. 

I know this, Tillery is all about the kids.  He wants it fun and is committed to making it fun for them. 

Guest TX_RENEGADES
[quote name="texcoug" post="1181321" timestamp="1329759703"]

Sorry for
[/quote]

Look, Renegade, it won't hurt your kids to play aaa teams on a weekend.  It won't hurt them to lose.  Some would say that is how you get better.  I do think it is important to find competitive balance, but don't look to big organizations putting together tournaments to always be able to fix it.  Nations uses arbitrary percentages (x % Elite, x % Select, etc.)  At least USSSA is there and takes a visual look at your team then you get rated.  Usually, if you have not played any events, you start aaa (to guard against trophy chasers).  If they have good information ahead of time, they can adjust prior. 

I know this, Tillery is all about the kids.  He wants it fun and is committed to making it fun for them.
[/quote]

Oh I know about playing up, we did that 2 weeks ago. I just wanted to expose my kids to their level after we played up an age group. I umpire for local TASO here and I didnt work this weekend, but its just the beggining give them some time to learn both sides. Only difference is the time.

[quote name="VP 93......" post="1181293" timestamp="1329757349"]
[quote author=TX_RENEGADES link=topic=96232.msg1181288#msg1181288 date=1329756963]

[/quote]

[/quote]

TX_RENEGADES,

[b]Don't you also go by... "StrikeOut" on here[/b]?????? :o
[/quote]

That would be a BIG 10-4!  :o

Guest TX_RENEGADES
[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1181764" timestamp="1329834231"]
[quote author=VP 93...... link=topic=96232.msg1181293#msg1181293 date=1329757349]

[/quote]

[/quote]

TX_RENEGADES,

[b]Don't you also go by... "StrikeOut" on here[/b]?????? :o
[/quote]

That would be a BIG 10-4!  :o
[/quote]

aren't you suppose to be learning how to coach baseball for little league. Lol

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder

• I could see a coach in Hardin county that continuously comes up in the best in the area debates applying for this job…
    • Head coach Clay Davis has resigned as head basketball coach at Hardin-Jefferson. Clay will be taking an Assistant Principle position at Splendora ISD so he will be leaving the coaching profession. Clay's wife has been working for Splendora ISD the last two years, commuting back and forth. Totally understand Coach Davis move here. This will be a very interesting hire. Don't expect a promotion. Will definitely be an outside hire. History rich program to a very good school district. Definitely will draw some interest. Good luck Coach on your new job. Hawk Basketball and gym just won't be the same without you. 20 years at HJ. I will miss our talks and watching you coach the game. Clay Davis record as head coach: Tatum/Jasper/Hardin-Jefferson 14 years  334-140 overall record 122-30 district record 9 district championships/co-championships 5 regional quarterfinals or better
    • Ben Carson is one of the most moral, upstanding, Godly men on the planet. I would love to see Carson as President. In the political arena though, Carson's gentleness is not necessarily the best thing. Carson would easily beat Kamala in a debate, (heck any local 8 year old easily could) but could you imagine a Kamala facing a firey Tulsi Gabbard? OMG Tulsi would blow Kamala away with Cat 5 hurricane force.     
    • I heard Ben Carson being interviewed the other day and I thought Ben would be an interesting choice.  If I'm not mistaken, polls have Trump pulling the largest percent of black voters than any other Republican President...... His only issue is he is 73 I would LOVE to watch a debate with him and Kamala LOL
  • Topics