Where will Silsbee and HJ play their playoff

jam14

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="whsalum" post="1170090" timestamp="1328156762"]
The amount of energy this game would take wouldn't be good for either club.I'm not a fan of taking any time off but these two clubs know each other too well already.They could schedule up and good some good work in to stay sharp.
[/quote]

As much as I love attending these games, I couldn't agree more.  If there isn't much of an advantage to gain with either route, then why not flip a coin and face someone who may present a different look similar to something  you may face in the playoffs.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1170101" timestamp="1328160915"]
I was told HJ would elect to play... If needed..not sure how true but that's what I heard
[/quote]

That is no suprise seeing as that is the way its been in the past.  I just don't see the benefit for either team this year.  It doesn't look like either playoff route will be any easier.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1170109" timestamp="1328162275"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=95273.msg1169688#msg1169688 date=1328113605]
If both coaches agree I would love to see the game at Ford Park.
[/quote]

Are you trying to tell me something...remember they will only let one person down there to broadcast...
[/quote]

:D :D :D  Nope.  Just really like the Ford Park Arena for basketball.  I will make arrangements for a bigger table for broadcasting if need be.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1170323" timestamp="1328196302"]
If everyone truly believes in all the theories about how the tougher schedule better prepares you for big games, how could Silsbee and HJ find any better qualified preparation than each other?
[/quote]Put yourself in Silsbee's shoes.  Let's say Sealy is two games down the road for Silsbee's play-off run and you don't feel that you match up well with Sealy.  Then, if I were Silsbee, I'd try and play a team that most closely resembles Sealy's style of play and see what works against them.

Yes I'm feeling well! I have to pick my spots. I feel Silsbee and HJ IF they both go undefeated the rest of the way in district to just do a coin flip. I'd rather see Silsbee vs Nederland and HJ vs Ozen in a playoff warm up. Neither Silsbee or HJ will see a better team than the two they could play in a preview.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1170368" timestamp="1328197449"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95273.msg1170323#msg1170323 date=1328196302]
If everyone truly believes in all the theories about how the tougher schedule better prepares you for big games, how could Silsbee and HJ find any better qualified preparation than each other?
[/quote]Put yourself in Silsbee's shoes.  Let's say Sealy is two games down the road for Silsbee's play-off run and you don't feel that you match up well with Sealy.  Then, if I were Silsbee, I'd try and play a team that most closely resembles Sealy's style of play and see what works against them.
[/quote]

I understand your point but if you find a team with the same style as Sealy but they arent very good at that style (as compared to Sealy) I doubt you will get much from it.  If Hj is fearful of a quick and fast Navasota man defense, what team could best prepare them for that game? ( honestly, of course)

[quote name="stevenash" post="1170646" timestamp="1328211079"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=95273.msg1170368#msg1170368 date=1328197449]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95273.msg1170323#msg1170323 date=1328196302]
[/quote]

I understand your point but if you find a team with the same style as Sealy but they arent very good at that style (as compared to Sealy) I doubt you will get much from it.  If Hj is fearful of a quick and fast Navasota man defense, what team could best prepare them for that game? ( honestly, of course)
[/quote]Yeah, you are right about Navasota.... Silsbee would be the best prep for them.  But what's in it for Silsbee?

Playing against a team that will not succumb to their pressure and force them to give every possible effort to win.  Force them to play their aggressive man to man without getting into foul trouble and make them be more selective on their three point efforts.  Those are the first  things that come to mind and frankly, I can't think of many teams (who would be likely available) that can effectively force those issues on Silsbee.  Furthermore, many teams can't handle Silsbees press and if they dont play someone that can, it wont help them in the playoffs.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1170663" timestamp="1328211476"]
Playing against a team that will not succumb to their pressure and force them to give every possible effort to win.  Force them to play their aggressive man to man without getting into foul trouble and make them be more selective on their three point efforts.  Those are the first  things that come to mind and frankly, I can't think of many teams (who would be likely available) that can effectively force those issues on Silsbee.  Furthermore, many teams can't handle Silsbees press and if they dont play someone that can, it wont help them in the playoffs.
[/quote]You know, I can't believe that I'd ever say it, but I agree with you!

Well, I will certainly look for an opportunity to reciprocate.  The main obstacle for either team is an undefeated and obviously very good Waco LaVega who, I belive is #1 in the state.  Should either team wind up playing LaVega in Huntsville, I have to believe that having played each other will be the best preparation.  Does that mean I am right?  Heck no.  It's just my opinion which I am obviously never hesitant to offer. ;D

The problem I am seeing for this possible seeding game(if it happens) is that there looks to be two different local playoff previews with one run and officiated by the local TASO Chapter, the other by the local UIL Chapter. This will be a conflict with these two schools.

I really do not see the point in them asking UIL to send them an officiating crew for this unnecessary game when they could flip for it.

Flip for seeding and let each school play where and who they want to play for the warmup game.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1170694" timestamp="1328212585"]
Well, I will certainly look for an opportunity to reciprocate.  The main obstacle for either team is an undefeated and obviously very good Waco LaVega who, I belive is #1 in the state.  Should either team wind up playing LaVega in Huntsville, [b]I have to believe that having played each other will be the best preparation.[/b]  Does that mean I am right?  Heck no.  It's just my opinion which I am obviously never hesitant to offer. ;D
[/quote]

Which they have already done twice. ;)

Yep- and I believe a third time will keep them both "on their toes" more than anyone else available will regardless of who wins and who is seeded where.  If I am a Silsbee or HJ player and I am in that big game against LaVega, I am thinking "this cant be much tougher than what I have been through with my district opponent 3 times" and ought to make me a little more confident.  As much as I have heard about the "Silsbee benefits/ and is better for having played a tougher schedule", it would seem that playing HJ again would merely enhance that claim.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami