**HARDIN-JEFFERSON at WEST ORANGE-STARK UPDATES**/HJ WINS 77-45!

Lazeek

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1163829" timestamp="1327124751"]
Officials were called in once again by the UIL.  Officials were from the College Station UIL Chapter.  Honestly there were some bad calls, but it went both ways.
[/quote]
Had the game been called correctly, it would have been a quite larger margin of victory for the Hawks.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1163809" timestamp="1327123102"]
HJ------18-18-18-23---77
WOS---14-18-10-3-----45

[b]HJ------29-1, 2-1[/b]

Prudhomme  29
Johnson  18
Martel  10
Bosha  8
Persohn  8
Harmon  2
Carr  1
Stevens  1

Free Throws-----21/36  58%

Team Fouls-----18

[b]WO-S------15-19, 1-2[/b]

Blanchard  11
Rutledge  7
Paige  6
Rogers  6
Simmons  5
Villery  4
Joubert  3
Sonnier  3

Free Throws------9/21  43%

Team Fouls------28 (1 Tech)
[/quote]

Free throw percentage still an issue for the Hawks.  They started & finished fairly strong with their free throws but had a lull in between. 

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1163829" timestamp="1327124751"]
Officials were called in once again by the UIL.  Officials were from the College Station UIL Chapter.  Honestly there were some bad calls, but it went both ways.
[/quote]

A lot of bad calls & yes they went both ways - please go back to College Station. 

Guest jettyman
I know I may get scoulded for being off task but having to endure a game as a fan in the WO-S gym is tortuous.  First of all, no aisles to walk up in the bleachers, I thought OSHA outlawed those types of seating arrangements in the 70's.  Secondly, I firmly believe that Dance Teams and Bands play a huge part in high school athletics, kuddos to those kids.  On the other hand, when 2/3rds of your musical instruments are drums being pounded on relentlessly in a gym (echo chamber), to say the least, wasn't healthy.

[quote name="jettyman" post="1163888" timestamp="1327154509"]
I know I may get scoulded for being off task but having to endure a game as a fan in the WO-S gym is tortuous.  First of all, no aisles to walk up in the bleachers, I thought OSHA outlawed those types of seating arrangements in the 70's.  Secondly, I firmly believe that Dance Teams and Bands play a huge part in high school athletics, kuddos to those kids.  On the other hand, when 2/3rds of your musical instruments are drums being pounded on relentlessly in a gym (echo chamber), to say the least, "OVERKILL." Now I know why the CIA uses the technique of non stop - loud music as a torture device. I assure you if I would have had any pertinent information to pass along in order to allow the 2 flute players an opportunity to be heard , spill the beans would have become my new name. For a school that has to endure the smells, pollution, traffic and etc you think the refineries would pitch in and purchase some new stadium seating.  Well, off to take another regimen of Tylenol.  As Chris Carter would say " Come on Man!"
[/quote]

On behalf of my alma mater, let me extend my DEEPEST of apologies to the visiting royalty of Sour Lake that they had to suffer such dank and dire conditions in visiting our humble little gymnasium.  I am sure that if Coach Thompson would have known that act of walking up bleachers would have would have offended the overlords of basketball, he would have scurried to make arrangements to correct that problem!  And as to the noise factor, I sincerely apologize that the home team had THE AUDACITY to make noise in its own gymasium! I am quite sure that if the poor band director has known that SILENCE was demanded when the visiting royalty from Sour Lake was in town, he would have scurried to comply.

Believe me I will make sure to pass these greivances on to the athletic department at West Orange-Stark.

Guest jettyman
I apologize for upsetting you with no pun intended but their is a huge difference between screaming voices and bass drums. I welcome homecourt advantage (perts) but not at the expense of safety. There is just something about that type of sound that sticks with you for days which cannot be healthy.  I can't say that watching senior citizens trying to climb to their seats without hand rails was any fun either. You can remove my comment if you deem it to be neccesary or I edit to make it more politically correct..

[quote name="jettyman" post="1163925" timestamp="1327161158"]
I apologize for upsetting you with no pun intended but their is a huge difference between screaming voices and bass drums. I welcome homecourt advantage (perts) but not at the expense of safety. There is just something about that type of sound that sticks with you for days which cannot be healthy.  I can't say that watching senior citizens trying to climb to their seats without hand rails was any fun either. You can remove my comment if you deem it to be neccesary or I edit to make it more politically correct..
[/quote]

Looks to me like possibly/likely your comments were sorely misinterpreted, Jettyman.  Obviously it can, in no way, be deemed a sour grapes comment.  Your concern for the safety of senior citizens is to be commended.  If others knew your background and true concerns, there would be no erroneous assumptions about your intent.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="jettyman" post="1163925" timestamp="1327161158"]
[/quote]
I wasn't there, so I don't know first hand what the drum corps issue is.  The drumming can be / is annoying and certainly should not be done while there is play going on on the court.  During time outs, at the quarter breaks and in between games the drumming is OK and adds to
the overall team spirit and support, in my opinion.

None of it bothered me...I liked the drums... I almost got up to bust a move a couple of times..I really did enjoy myself...I don't think for one minute jettyman meant any disrespect by his comments... He was just giving his honest assessment of the atmosphere in the gym last night.... I should have told him ahead of time your hatered (IMOHO)for the folks of sour lake. He could have possibly worded it a little differently...Let's be honest...

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1163971" timestamp="1327167222"]
None of it bothered me...I liked the drums... I almost got up to bust a move a couple of times..I really did enjoy myself...I don't think for one minute jettyman meant any disrespect by his comments... He was just giving his honest assessment of the atmosphere in the gym last night.... I should have told him ahead of time your hatered (IMOHO)for the folks of sour lake. He could have possibly worded it a little differently...Let's be honest...
[/quote]

Let's be honest, if such a post would have been directed as Hawk Gym, this thread would have been replete with replies in opposition. 

And I don't have a "hatred" for the folks of Sour Lake.  The vast majority, including the various Hawk coaching staffs, I get along with great.  Those folks from that area that I do have a problem with I can't blame the Hardin-Jefferson ISD one iota.

HJ has a good size crowd that follows them to away games. The seating at WOS is not set up for a large visitor section. The visitors are given half of 1 sideline to sit on. While the home team gets the other half of the sideline plus the entire other side. WOS did try and make some adjustments by allowing HJ fans to sit in a small section diagonal from the rest of the HJ crowd right next to the band. There are no stairs or aisles to climb up so you have to snake your way through the crowd and walk in front of the bench of players and coaches to get a seat.

Having been there, I was aware of this and made sure to get their early to get a seat - and know that I would not be getting down until the game was over. It is not easy or safe for the elderly to get up and down in these stands. Plus young kids that want to go to the concession stand get in the way of those trying to watch the game.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1163994" timestamp="1327171821"]
I like Silsbee's set up. One whole side for the visitors, one whole side for the Tiger fans. (775 per side).

Now, question is, will that be the same when the Tigers visit HJ? ;)
[/quote]

HJ has many fans that sit on the visitors side of the gym.  Always have, and always will.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1163997" timestamp="1327172661"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=94559.msg1163994#msg1163994 date=1327171821]
I like Silsbee's set up. One whole side for the visitors, one whole side for the Tiger fans. (775 per side).

[/quote]

HJ has many fans that sit on the visitors side of the gym.  Always have, and always will.
[/quote]

So, since Silsbee was accommodating to HJ fans by not allowing Silsbee fans to sit on the visitor side in the HJ game (some Silsbee fans do sit on the visitor side in other games), you are stating that HJ will not be so accommodating when Silsbee comes to town??

Interesting.......

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1163994" timestamp="1327171821"]

[/quote]

Probably not since there is no prescription for any one school to have the same set up as another.  That certainly wasnt the case at WOS either.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami