Did PN-G's record attendance fall today ???????

Honestly, I think it hurts the teams that play at a venue with 4 games....I mean how can they accurately gauge the attendance for a game?  I was there today...I think the 1st game had around 44k or so they said.  Hypothetically, had the majority of the Aledo folks stayed for the 2nd game, would their attendance have counted?  I don't think it would have.  Just my 2 cents.  That said, I'm glad the record still stands  :)

[quote name="90PNGNDN" post="1148122" timestamp="1324180958"]
Honestly, I think it hurts the teams that play at a venue with 4 games....I mean how can they accurately gauge the attendance for a game?  I was there today...I think the 1st game had around 44k or so they said.  Hypothetically, had the majority of the Aledo folks stayed for the 2nd game, would their attendance have counted?  I don't think it would have.  Just my 2 cents.  That said, I'm glad the record still stands  :)
[/quote]

I don't know if I would go so far as to say it hurts the teams.

I'm guessing PN-G/Plano will always remain in the record books, even if an asterisk is required to distinguish [i]*highest recorded attendance for a single high school game played[/i]

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="1148187" timestamp="1324216237"]
I was also one of the 49,953.  That was my first and last time in Texas Stadium.  If you were sitting in the shade in December, TALK ABOUT FREEZING!! [b] IMO, one of the worst designed stadiums ever, it was like a poor man's Astrodome.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree 100%!!! Terrible!

Texas stadium served as home field for two Dallas area high schools in 1979.....Plano and Highland Park. I'm sure PNG traveled well as usual, but the majority of that crowd didn't have to travel much at all.

Texas stadium was an engineering failure, but so was the leaning tower of Pisa.

[quote name="baddog" post="1148210" timestamp="1324223475"]
Texas stadium served as home field for two Dallas area high schools in 1979.....Plano and Highland Park. I'm sure PNG traveled well as usual, but the majority of that crowd didn't have to travel much at all.

[/quote]

I don't know about the majority. I've heard two versions of this story. One is a couple of eyewitness accounts that say both sides had about 25,000 and the other was a bunch of eyewitness accounts and an old news article scanned in somewhere that said PN-G brought about 30,000-32,000 fans and Plano brought 18,000-20,000. I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure, but I do know as fact that there were 34,000 fans on the PN-G side of the Astrodome and 25,000 on our side of Kyle Field in 1999, and that there was a fleet of charter busses en route to Dallas in 1977, so I've always felt the latter was closer to the truth (not that I'm biased or anything :D). Unfortunately, I've never found a color photo of the crowd or any photo of the entire stadium from that game so as far as I know, there's no objective way to tell for sure.

[quote name="liltex" post="1148114" timestamp="1324179312"]
In todays cyber world/pay tv alot of folks won't travel but tune in @home to watch w/gas over $3 a gallon.PNG record may never fall as gas will only get higher.In this economy of alot of families are strapped hence the lack of attendence at fb games 8)
[/quote]Gas back then was probably 49.9 a gallon. compared to 319.9 a gallon now :o

Lawd Knightrider you know that makes me a antique as I remember the mid 60's Hstn.area gas wars when regular was sold as low as 13.9 cents a gallon and we filled 1 of those vw hippie vans for under $4 to go see the 13th floor elevators @La Maisson in Houston.Then there was Taylor Hall in Pasadena to see Roy Head,Roy Orbison and others.Then on to The Texas Pelican/Circle Club across the Sabine to see many headliners along w/reg Mr Clean and King Floyd 8)

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1148215" timestamp="1324224953"]
[quote author=baddog link=topic=93247.msg1148210#msg1148210 date=1324223475]

[/quote]

I don't know about the majority. I've heard two versions of this story. One is a couple of eyewitness accounts that say both sides had about 25,000 and the other was a bunch of eyewitness accounts and an old news article scanned in somewhere that said PN-G brought about 30,000-32,000 fans and Plano brought 18,000-20,000. I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure, but I do know as fact that there were 34,000 fans on the PN-G side of the Astrodome and 25,000 on our side of Kyle Field in 1999, and that there was a fleet of charter busses en route to Dallas in 1977, so I've always felt the latter was closer to the truth (not that I'm biased or anything :D). Unfortunately, I've never found a color photo of the crowd or any photo of the entire stadium from that game so as far as I know, there's no objective way to tell for sure.
[/quote]

Well, I was there also and as I remember it the seats at Texas stadium were covered with dust from a dust storm from west Texas. And the Plano side of the crowd appeared, to me, to be larger than PNG'S. That was the only game for PNG that I attended that the crowd seemed to  be larger for PNG'S opponet than for PNG.

My first trip to Texas stadium was in 2000 for WO-S/Ennis.I was really disappointed.It really was small compared to what it looked like on tv.

BTW.What game do you guys think was the best.As for as fireworks the lower classifications has my vote.Mason and or Refuigo(sp) game.SLC was also a good game.

[quote name="GUNHO" post="1148490" timestamp="1324313029"]
My first trip to Texas stadium was in 2000 for WO-S/Ennis.I was really disappointed.It really was small compared to what it looked like on tv.

[color=red]BTW.What game do you guys think was the best[/color].As for as fireworks the lower classifications has my vote.Mason and or Refuigo(sp) game.SLC was also a good game.
[/quote]

Never mind.Just saw the thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder