What is the UIL going to do about LaMarque

Z04AEA

[quote name="12gage" post="1133912" timestamp="1322522669"]
I understand that when a team , in football or basketball, leaves the bench or sideline they are out of that game, period! I am a high school coach for 22 years , this is what we have been told. Seems like the officials Dropedthe ball on this one , [b]now the uil will look the other way and nothing wil happen , teaching these young boys nothing[/b]!
[/quote]
This right here is why society is so messed up right now. Why can't we just go back to the way it was.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, change the title of this thread from " . . . about LaMarque" to " . . . about [i][b]the LaMarque/Ozen incident[/b][/i]." This is not just about LaMarque. Its Ozen, the officials and coaches as well.

The actions UIL or other appropriate sanctioning groups could or should take include things like:

[i][b]The officials:[/b][/i] suspend them from officiating any future games until they take and pass certain training courses on rules interpretation and player control, and after that serve as "apprentice" or some form of "junior" officials under more seasoned and qualified senior officials. Alternately, fire them for incompetence.

[i][b]The coaches:[/b][/i] on probation for some timeframe during which if there are [i][b]any [/b] [/i] incidents of 1) fighting, 2) flagrant fouls, 3) severe (to be defined) unsportsmanlike conduct by themselves, their staff or their players, the probation turns into a significant suspension from UIL events. If the coaches suffer severe consequences from their players actions, they will do what is necessary to prevent it, including kicking big time trouble makers off of their teams AND eliminate taunting-type antics that can incite violent reactions.

[i][b]The players determined to have broken rules or laws:[/b][/i] (notice I did not specify LM or Ozen -- applies to players from either) Suspended from UIL events (including team practices) for xx months or xx events (duration proportional to severity - swinging a helmet as a weapon is criminal assault in my mind and should be a permanent ban from UIL events. No "ifs," "ands" or "buts" about that one). The suspensions should span beyond football. If a guilty player is done with football for the year, the suspension applies to basketball, baseball, track, UIL academic contests, etc.

The biggest mistake was for the officials to let the game continue after the first fight of any magnitude. A little pushing and shoving with offsetting penalties is one thing. The game should have been called immediatly after the first brawl. I wasn't there but from what I'm reading to let that game continue after a lengthy fight created a dangerous situation. If a kid, coach, official  cop, or spectator would have been badly injured or died from such the worst consequence would have been the impact on that person or family. Both sides would be guilty of contributing to bad business. I really don't think the UIL will do anything except slap wrists. This incident should never have gotten to the second round. 

[quote name="vp93" post="1133898" timestamp="1322520833"]
I thought that there was a mandatory 4 quarter suspension for throwing a punch. They have video of it and that would punish the ones that couldn't keep their emotions under control but not the ones that could.
[/quote]nothing in UIL rules about suspension for a game.. what you are referring to could be a district rule... Some districts have that rule in effect like
20-4A I believe.

As to the fight in the 4th quarter, I guess officials can look at it, but the UIL rule that the penalty for fighting is merely disqualification for the remainder of the game.  And there does not appear to be any prescribed penalty for a post game brawl.  So if anything comes down on either team, it is going to have to be via some creative interpretations of the rules by Dr. Cousins.

[quote name="car68car" post="1134078" timestamp="1322533564"]
[quote author=Atownbcat link=topic=92332.msg1134049#msg1134049 date=1322532056]
UIL won't do anything about it. They will leave it up to Manvel. If they were going to take action they would have done it today.
[/quote]
I'm assuming you mean LaMarque and Ozen, not Manvel.
[/quote]
I think he means Manvel will eliminate LM.

The response by LM fans in this thread is the exact reason that this stuff goes on.  Always making excuses.  Always claiming that what happened didn't really happened.  Always in denial.  Always blaming someone else.

Everybody in Texas knows, LM fans know...LM is always getting into this sort of thing.

They won't fix it until someone actually wakes up and admits that they have a problem on their hands and quit playing ignorant about it.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1134132" timestamp="1322537917"]
The response by LM fans in this thread is the exact reason that this stuff goes on.  Always making excuses.  Always claiming that what happened didn't really happened.  Always in denial.  Always blaming someone else.

Everybody in Texas knows, LM fans know...LM is always getting into this sort of thing.

They won't fix it until someone actually wakes up and admits that they have a problem on their hands and quit playing ignorant about it.
[/quote]

I have been going to La Marque playoff games for 25 years.  I can only remember one game where anything close to this happened, which I believe was last year against Yates where they didn't shake hands at the end due to an earlier altercation in the game. 

As the teams were meeting at the field at the end of the game Saturday before the brawl broke out, I mentioned to my friend sitting beside me that I was surprised that they allowed them to do that considering the earlier brawl that had occurred. 

And why is everyone on here saying that only La Marque should be punished when it is clear that players from both sides were at fault? 

[quote name="East Texas LM Fan" post="1134142" timestamp="1322538558"]
And why is everyone on here saying that only La Marque should be punished when it is clear that players from both sides were at fault?
[/quote]

Read back through the posts. That is not what the vast majority of them say. The most common opinion by far is that both should be punished.

Do you disagree with any punishment? As an LM fan, what do you think is appropriate?

I never said that Ozen shouldn't be held responsible.
Never said Ozen was not half to blame in this ordeal.
Both sides need to accept blame and make sure the kids know that this is unacceptable.
Neither side will do so.  Both sides will say that their kids are good kids and it was the other kids that are the bad seeds.

That's just the way it goes.  But don't claim that LM doesn't have a history of bad sportsmnship, because we all know this is not the case.

At least the Miami Hurricanes embrace the image.  LM may as well.

[quote name="RHBoiler" post="1134194" timestamp="1322542401"]
[quote author=East Texas LM Fan link=topic=92332.msg1134142#msg1134142 date=1322538558]
[/quote]

Read back through the posts. That is not what the vast majority of them say. The most common opinion by far is that both should be punished.

Do you disagree with any punishment? As an LM fan, what do you think is appropriate?
[/quote]

I do believe that both sides were at fault and there should be consequences for both sides especially those players that threw the first punches.  I do see that not all posts in this thread are putting all the blame on La Marque, but I guess the title of the thread is what was initially offensive to me.  I really don't have any suggestions of what kind of consequences should be imposed as I'm really not sure about all the UIL rules and what the UIL is allowed to do in situations like this. 

According to a Galveston County sportswriter, "Source: UIL clears La Marque of any wrong doing regarding the brawl with Ozen Saturday. No discipline coming from UIL." And, "Source: UIL determined that La Marque did nothing to start the brawl, and thus was not responsible for its occurrence."

[quote name="cougartino" post="1134216" timestamp="1322546228"]
According to a Galveston County sportswriter, "Source: UIL clears La Marque of any wrong doing regarding the brawl with Ozen Saturday. No discipline coming from UIL." And, "Source: UIL determined that La Marque did nothing to start the brawl, and thus was not responsible for its occurrence."
[/quote]Well that's that!  Let's play!  HOKA HEY!!  GO MAVERICKS!!
4 games in 2 years... should be a good one Tino!

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1134132" timestamp="1322537917"]

[b]They won't fix it until someone actually wakes up and admits that they have a problem on their hands [/b] and quit playing ignorant about it.
[/quote]

or until someone gets seriously injured or killed...  Then maybe, just maybe they will figure out that there's a problem and it needs to be remedied...Tell that to the family of the kid who IS seriously hurt or worse.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="1133607" timestamp="1322502644"]
As far as this topic. 
Make both teams watch the 3rd and 4th quarter of an Aggies game.  Thats been torture for me all season long.
[/quote]

There you go!!!! That should teach them what not to do for the rest of thier lives.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1134236" timestamp="1322566899"]
Everybody quit worrying about lm im the next 5 years the scbool probably wont even be around. Lm used to be 5a and now they are struggling to reach 3a numbers. Theres a reason people are running from that community. The same thing happened to smiley and forestbrook. Now northforest is on its way out.
[/quote]

You are exactly right, Besides this won't be a story next week after Manvel gets done and I am sure the UIL will be watching how they act in defeat. :-\

[quote name="jayhawk" post="1134029" timestamp="1322530881"]
I've got the perfect solution :  take all the D-1 talent of both teams and make them tranfer to Dayton next year and we'll teach them all on how to be good sports !  ( simple ) ;)
[/quote] Good Idea.. I second that motion, All in favor say I LOL

[quote name="cougartino" post="1134216" timestamp="1322546228"]
[/quote]

Any word on discipline for Ozen, the coaches and the officials who failed to control the situation? Or is UIL basically saying the two brawls were non-events?

And I guess we know now that the UIL does not object to players leaving their benches to fight. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other sports league that condones that.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder