Shout out to WOS alumni!!

87Cub

i was there...but i was in the fourth grade lol....i remember it well though..brenham was home and wos was visitor....score was 23-9 or something like that...didnt brenham have a paw on their helmets that year or something? i think they were wearing all green that day..

[quote name="WOS95" post="1117688" timestamp="1321286265"]
i was there...but i was in the fourth grade lol....i remember it well though..brenham was home and wos was visitor....score was 23-9 or something like that...didnt brenham have a paw on their helmets that year or something? i think they were wearing all green that day..
[/quote]
Well thanks for reminding me how OLD I am getting by telling me that you were in the fourth grade at the time.  LOL!  Yeah, the final score was 23-7.  It was tied at 7-7 midway through the third quarter.  WOS had dropped down from 5A that year and was VERY good.  At that time they ran that old school Houston veer with split backs.  Yep, we did wear solid green that day, and had green helmets with paws on them.  We had a solid team that year, but WOS was just too much to handle.

[quote name="87Cub" post="1117699" timestamp="1321286872"]
[quote author=WOS95 link=topic=91547.msg1117688#msg1117688 date=1321286265]
[/quote]
Well thanks for reminding me how OLD I am getting by telling me that you were in the fourth grade at the time.  LOL!  Yeah, the final score was 23-7.  It was tied at 7-7 midway through the third quarter.  WOS had dropped down from 5A that year and was VERY good.  At that time they ran that old school Houston veer with split backs.  Yep, we did wear solid green that day, and had green helmets with paws on them.  We had a solid team that year, but WOS was just too much to handle.
[/quote]

sorry about that, lol...yup the old veer...i loved watching that offense back then...we had two really good backs then brian cleveland and scottie littleton...i think someone from brenham got seriously hurt that day and they had to get the paramedics to come on the field..i remember because we were in the stands yelling at the paramedics to hurry up and help the player..i also remember that it was a beutiful sunny day...it was the first time i had ever been to huntsville that day...

Actually, if you remember correctly, our defense knocked the WOS starting QB out of the game.  We were shutting the veer down up until that point.  Well, unfortunately for us the WOS backup came in and seemed to ignite that offense.  Yeah, our left guard had a neck injury that day.  He was fine, just had to wear a neck brace for a couple of weeks.  I played OT and DT.  I normally just played offense, but one of our starting DT's reaggravated an arm injury, and I had the pleasure of going both ways for a while and trying to figure out that zone blocking scheme.  The offensive line for WOS was definitely a strong point for that team.  Actually, that whole team was tremendous.  Our coach had us so hyped up for that game, that I really did not notice how big those guys were until I watched the film the next day.  They looked like a freaking college team.  It was a beautiful day.  Do you remember how we drove the ball down the field on our first offensive field in like five plays only to get stuffed twice on 3rd and 4th down from inside the one yard line?  I still think that we should have went play action on that third down....

[quote name="87Cub" post="1117733" timestamp="1321288505"]
Actually, if you remember correctly, our defense knocked the WOS starting QB out of the game.  We were shutting the veer down up until that point.  Well, unfortunately for us the WOS backup came in and seemed to ignite that offense.  Yeah, our left guard had a neck injury that day.  He was fine, just had to wear a neck brace for a couple of weeks.  I played OT and DT.  I normally just played offense, but one of our starting DT's reaggravated an arm injury, and I had the pleasure of going both ways for a while and trying to figure out that zone blocking scheme.  The offensive line for WOS was definitely a strong point for that team.  Actually, that whole team was tremendous.  Our coach had us so hyped up for that game, that I really did not notice how big those guys were until I watched the film the next day.  They looked like a freaking college team.  It was a beautiful day.  Do you remember how we drove the ball down the field on our first offensive field in like five plays only to get stuffed twice on 3rd and 4th down from inside the one yard line?  I still think that we should have went play action on that third down....
[/quote]

u are absolutely correct..dwayne evans,if i remember correctly, was the quarterback that got hurt during that game...then james reed came in and started the rest of the season all the way to the state championship game against mckinney....wos had some size in those days..of course we were a decent sized 4A school in those years..over 1000 students.....amazing when i think about it how we went from 5A all the way to 3A. no i dont remember about u guys driving down the field on your first offensive series i just remember it being close. its interensting how we all we remember different things about that day.. 8)

I missed seeing that game live, but I have it on VHS.  Brenham was definitely a good opponent for us.  It was a close first half, then our defense put the clamps on the Cubs in the 2nd half.  87Cub, it's good to hear from someone who experienced those years.  Don't feel too old...there are several WO-S fans here who are older than you. 

[quote name="griff" post="1118334" timestamp="1321324417"]
I missed seeing that game live, but I have it on VHS.  Brenham was definitely a good opponent for us.  It was a close first half, then our defense put the clamps on the Cubs in the 2nd half.  87Cub, it's good to hear from someone who experienced those years.  Don't feel too old...there are several WO-S fans here who are older than you.
[/quote]
We ran the guard around for a TD late in the first half that got called back because our guard had his knee down when he picked up the ball.  UGH!  WOS was a very worthy opponent, because we were in a very tough district at that time, and really expected to win that game.  Oh well....we had a good year.

[quote name="87Cub" post="1118345" timestamp="1321324783"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=91547.msg1118334#msg1118334 date=1321324417]
[/quote]
We ran the guard around for a TD late in the first half that got called back because our guard had his knee down when he picked up the ball.  UGH!  WOS was a very worthy opponent, because we were in a very tough district at that time, and really expected to win that game.  Oh well....we had a good year.
[/quote]
It's interesting to hear you bring up that play.  We used the exact same play two weeks later in our rematch with Jasper.  It Worked.  We scored.  Thanks to that play we won the game. 

[quote name="griff" post="1118370" timestamp="1321325669"]
[quote author=87Cub link=topic=91547.msg1118345#msg1118345 date=1321324783]
[/quote]
[/quote]
It's interesting to hear you bring up that play.  We used the exact same play two weeks later in our rematch with Jasper.  It Worked.  We scored.  Thanks to that play we won the game.
[/quote]
I know, I heard that.  We had practiced that play all year long, and never ran it.  When they sent that play in from the sidelines, I just knew it was going to score, and it did.  Just had a little problem with a knee!!

[quote name="griff" post="1118370" timestamp="1321325669"]
[quote author=87Cub link=topic=91547.msg1118345#msg1118345 date=1321324783]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
It is a pretty strong statement to say that one play won a game.  But for sure that play did turn the game around.  I think Jasper was up 9-0 at the time?  Momentum changed for sure.

[quote name="j_dog" post="1120570" timestamp="1321490013"]
It is a pretty strong statement to say that one play won a game.  But for sure that play did turn the game around.  I think Jasper was up 9-0 at the time?  Momentum changed for sure.
[/quote]
It is accurate to say that play was the difference because we won by six points.  When you look at the entire game, Jasper outplayed WO-S in the first quarter (lead 9-0), WO-S was sharper in the second and third quarters (went ahead 21-9), then Jasper made a run in the final quarter (21-15 final score).  It was a hard fought game, but WO-S was just a little bit better.  To this day, that is still the best Jasper team WO-S ever faced.  Remember, they whipped us good earlier that season at Mustang Stadium.

[quote name="87Cub" post="1117733" timestamp="1321288505"]
Actually, if you remember correctly, our defense knocked the WOS starting QB out of the game.  We were shutting the veer down up until that point.  Well, unfortunately for us the WOS backup came in and seemed to ignite that offense.  Yeah, our left guard had a neck injury that day.  He was fine, just had to wear a neck brace for a couple of weeks.  I played OT and DT.  I normally just played offense, but one of our starting DT's reaggravated an arm injury, and I had the pleasure of going both ways for a while and trying to figure out that zone blocking scheme.  The offensive line for WOS was definitely a strong point for that team.  [b]Actually, that whole team was tremendous.  Our coach had us so hyped up for that game, that I really did not notice how big those guys were until I watched the film the next day.  They looked like a freaking college team.[/b]  It was a beautiful day.  Do you remember how we drove the ball down the field on our first offensive field in like five plays only to get stuffed twice on 3rd and 4th down from inside the one yard line?  I still think that we should have went play action on that third down....
[/quote]

Your post is very accurate and I highlighted the part about the O-line because the WO-S O-line isn't near that big today. However, they are veeeerrrryyyy athletic and I think they make it at least two more rounds and possibility farther.

I think Coldspring is upset this week.

[quote name="griff" post="1120702" timestamp="1321500602"]
[quote author=j_dog link=topic=91547.msg1120570#msg1120570 date=1321490013]
[/quote]
It is accurate to say that play was the difference because we won by six points.  When you look at the entire game, Jasper outplayed WO-S in the first quarter (lead 9-0), WO-S was sharper in the second and third quarters (went ahead 21-9), then Jasper made a run in the final quarter (21-15 final score).  It was a hard fought game, but WO-S was just a little bit better.  [b]To this day, that is still the best Jasper team[/b] WO-S ever faced.  Remember, they whipped us good earlier that season at Mustang Stadium.
[/quote]

If memory serves, Chris Hunt had a lot to do with that.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder