Burkeville and Sabine Pass

with High Island probably dropping to 6-man, Evadale, Sabine Pass, and Burkeville are the only DII teams in the area.....I'm betting that Tenaha and Lovelady end up over this way in the new district....that being said, congratulations to the kids and coaches at Sabine Pass and Burkeville and best of luck in the playoffs....

[quote name="KDOSullivan" post="1105995" timestamp="1320516236"]
The UIL has to do something about their alignment, playoff system, something.....Burkeville 1-6, 1-2 and Sabine Pass 2-6, 1-2 are in the playoffs???
[/quote]

It's like that all over the state with the DIV II schools, there are several Districts with only 4 teams & 3 make the playoffs.  Hopefully the UIL will make things right with the realignment coming up.

I've got a list & I'll post some other ones tonight.

Good luck to Sabine Pass & Burkeville though.

Ive been saying it for weeks...what an utter disgrace to put a 1-6 team in the playoffs, a team who hardly deserves it, and a team that is going to get murdered in the 1st round, while a much more deserving team with at least a .500 record sits home. Ridiculous.

[quote name="Colmesneilfan1" post="1106267" timestamp="1320534112"]
Life ain't fair....remember that and you'll be much happier.....  :D :D
[/quote]
No one would know that more than a #1 Colmesneil fan.

Here are some of the Districts in Div II that got teams into the playoffs with under .500 records:

District 1 --- 4 Teams
Booker  2-1  9-1
Gruver  2-1  4-6
Vega    2-1  3-7

District 4 --- 4 Teams
Morton      3-0  6-3
Seagraves  1-1  2-6
Smyer        1-2  4-5

District 10 --- 6 Teams
Hubbard    5-0  8-2
Chilton      4-1  6-4
Bremond    3-2  3-7

District 12 --- 4 Teams
Tenaha            3-0  9-0
Mt. Enterprise  2-1  8-1
Beckville          1-2  2-7

District 14 --- 4 Teams
Evadale        3-0  6-4
Sabine Pass  1-2  2-6
Burkeville      1-2  1-6

Please don't take this as I'm picking on these teams, it's not their fault.  This is just an illistration of how much work the UIL needs to do.  Good luck to all playoff teams!

Oh I know, not sure if they can do anything or what the answer is.  Thankfully I dont have to make that decision.

I won't have a dog in the fight next year, but I really hope it's a solution that benefits the players & schools.  The way budgets get cut every year & traveling increases, I'm sure it's a difficult thing to manage.

Most of the time the culprit behind a sub-.500 playoff team is a tough non-district schedule. Sometimes, however, teams that need to be at home play on and teams with better records are the ones at home. I agree, though, that a 1-6 team making the playoffs is ridiculous! This problem isn't just in 1A, for there's a district in south Texas with two 2-8 teams making the playoffs(5A takes 4 teams, I know). I haven't got the foggiest idea towards a solution to the problem.

[quote name="Joharr73" post="1106496" timestamp="1320545923"]
[quote author=Colmesneilfan1 link=topic=91013.msg1106492#msg1106492 date=1320545803]
I bet we could make a better decision than the powers that be will make....lol.....
[/quote]

LOL, ok maybe your right!  See you in track season!  ;D
[/quote]

See ya there.....

[quote name="Colmesneilfan1" post="1106579" timestamp="1320550698"]
[quote author=Joharr73 link=topic=91013.msg1106496#msg1106496 date=1320545923]
[quote author=Colmesneilfan1 link=topic=91013.msg1106492#msg1106492 date=1320545803]
I bet we could make a better decision than the powers that be will make....lol.....
[/quote]

LOL, ok maybe your right!  See you in track season!  ;D
[/quote]

See ya there.....
[/quote]

;)

Joharr on another thread put up all the 1A teams in the playoffs and while Burkeville and Sabine Pass have the worst two records in the bracket, they are by no means the only teams with more loses than wins in the bracket.

The UIL in my opinion made a mistake when they allowed 3rd place teams into the playoffs when they made the two division format. When you think about it they did not just add one more team to the mix which would have been the case if they took 1st and 2nd from each district, they added 3 team, with the split divisions and the 3rd place from each division.

Dist 14 will always have SP and HI (if they stay in 11 man) because they have no place else to go. It is likely that Lovelady and/or Mount Enterprise could end up in the district and that would make it less likely that the district would have something like this happen again, but the UIL could just as easily decide to keep 14 a four team district (HI playing 11 man) to keep the travel down. HI or SP to Burkeville is already a 2 1/2 hour trip by bus. HI or SP to Loveday would be more in line with 3 1/2 hours. I know that some of the West Texas districts have travel like that, but I know the UIL does not like it if they can avoid it.

If High Island drops then who knows what happens as there will only be 3 teams remaining in 14 and the UIL will have to add at least one more team, but get ready to make so very long drives if they do.
SP and Burkeville are in and that the way the system is now. They are playing one more week and they have the same chance any other team has to advance in the playoffs. They may not, but it is their right to get the opportunity to try. They did not write the rules they are simply playing (on) by them! 

Yup, I'm with you Yeller.  The travel distance for these 1A schools is ridiculous. 

The split divisions could work out for 2A and above, but maybe 1A should go back to just one Division.  All of our schools play each other anyways, so why not just make bigger districts.  People can't use the arguement that school size in 1A makes that much of a difference, because Evadale is smaller than either WH, HD or Colmesneil by 30 or more students, yet their usually very good teams.  Lovelady is another example; smaller school yet very good.

Like I did state earlier, I wasn't bashing SP or BV.  They did what they had to and are in, good for them.  I really hope they do well too.  If anything just bashing the UIL for splitting up the 1A schools, that was stupid.

Burkeville, Sabine Pass, and High Island all need to go to six man. Maybe then they can compete against a school like Evadale that constantly fields 20+ students on a varsity squad against those schools who field at the most 15(being generous) players. Evadale is the only school in the district that even fields a JV squad..cmon.. how fair is that.

[quote name="Howard" post="1107180" timestamp="1320619834"]
Burkeville, Sabine Pass, and High Island all need to go to six man. Maybe then they can compete against a school like Evadale that constantly fields 20+ students on a varsity squad against those schools who field at the most 15(being generous) players. Evadale is the only school in the district that even fields a JV squad..cmon.. how fair is that.
[/quote]

Under that reasoning then HD should go six man as they had no JV this year. And they are a D1 1A school.

Sabine Pass had well over 20 players suited up against Evadale and Burkeville about the same, both schools in my opinion can field teams, now I do not know why Burkeville consistently plays 8 games each year I would think they would want to play 10 to get more experience, but they have the players.
Evadale had fewer plays come out this year than in the last 5 years and they only played 6 games this year while they usually get in 8.

I again say look at the records of the teams in the playoff bracket and you will see plenty of teams with sub 500 records in the mix.   

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1107661" timestamp="1320680161"]
The UIL needs 1A to have just two divisions, one 11 man and one 6 man, period.
[/quote]

I would tend to agree, but the UIL continues to water down everything.
First only district champions to one champion per classification
Then 1st & 2nd but still one champion per classification.
Then 1st, 2nd & 3rd and two divisions in each classification
Then 1st, 2nd 3rd in two separate divisions in each district of split divisions.
They are by no means shrinking the poul, in fact it sounds a lot like hockey was before the year without hockey a few years ago.

We may want to change this, but don't count on it.

We can all agree to disagree on this subject, but in the long run its all about the kids.  If they have the opportunity to do something that they have never done before, then let them have that chance and let them enjoy it.  It may only last a week for some, but let them have that chance.  8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder