Limiting Play-Off Teams

I for one do not believe a team should be in the play-offs with a 2-8 record I'm not pointing out any team this is just an example...And I'll still say that if Kirbyville manages to squeak in..I know I'm gonna hear a lot of camp-fire stories of teams that went to the play-offs with that kind of record and went a long way, But we also know that is the exception and not the rule It's good for the kids to be winners On that I will agree...But sending 3 or 4 teams out of the same district is border line ridiculous,To me it hurts teams,They say all we gotta do is win 2 games and we are in....And most teams start talking play-offs before they play the first game...I know the more games that are played the more money is made But does it really hurt or hinder..You've heard my opinion...What's yours..... :D

I personally think 3-4 teams in the playoffs from the same district is gr8. Why not and what does it hurt? Lots of districts consistently have the teams at the top. It gives the lesser teams of the district an opportunity to participate in playoff atmosphere. I dunno kinda like more teams involved after regular season!

[quote name="24 over par" post="1099523" timestamp="1319938716"]
[quote author=bulldawg64 link=topic=90673.msg1099518#msg1099518 date=1319938569]
i myself like more teams. it at
least gives some teams to play
for something week 11.
[/quote]i aggree after 1 play off game the weak die out
[/quote]

Thats what I was thinking....Round 1 more or less culls out the weak

Guest UHCoog14
Let's all be winners and each team gets a trophy.

I've always liked the District Champ only making the playoffs.  If you need more teams, then the top 2.

You got to remember if a 2-8 team makes the playoffs, doesnt mean much if they are from a small district.  The preseason games dont count, so dont include them for post season consideration.  If you have a 5 team district with 3 playoff places, you very well could get a 2-3 team in the playoffs.
Nothing wrong with that.  The more playoff games, the better for football fans.

A tough non-district schedule is often the culprit behind the sub-.500 teams making the playoffs. I remember a couple years ago West Sabine lost 7 out of their first 8 games, but won their last 2 district games to sneak in at 3-7. We got 3 rounds deep that year before bowing out at 5-8 overall. However, the concept of a 1-9 team making the playoffs does border on the absurd IMO.

Sports society has changed so much from the 60's and 70's when the NFC and AFC had two reps each. Look at the NFL today.The same with high school, some GREAT teams that finished 2nd with no hope of seeing if they were better than the ONE play that caused them to stay home.  The 4 playoff team rule, I believe is good, we shouldn't pick and choose one team and say that is the reason a 4th shouldn't be allowed, because we can also check history and find 4th place teams that BEAT 1st place teams from other districts. Then should we not allow an entire district because Joe Bob said the district is soft?? Make the rule follow the rule and it will all come out in the end. Not a good argument about Kirbyville. It is so much more VALID than the BCIS system. The older I get I try not to look back and compare because I often look through rose colored glasses. 35 years ago I remember being 6' 2"  195 lbs and ran a 4.4 because with time the past is always better. Live today, look forward to tomorrow, but stop looking back to a rose colored past.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1099668" timestamp="1319950036"]
It's nice to reward a team like Kirbyville who is clearly better in Week 10 than they were in Week 0 with a playoff spot. I don't see anything wrong with it. It gives teams a reason to keep fighting despite being down early in the year
[/quote]

I agree with keeping hope alive as bmcgee says, & with not penalizing teams who play a tough preseason. As long as a school does well in their district, they should advance. And what about districts loaded with talent. Would you leave a third or fourth place team home who is better than winners of a weak district?  I say let 'em play.

The reason it should be the way it is, is because if you only allowed two teams from each district, and you had one district with 3 or 4 really good teams and another district with all crappy teams, then you might be leaving out a couple of schools from the really good district who deserve to be there more than the two schools from the crappy district. Essentially it would be like the BCS giving each conference 1 automatic bid to a BCS game, including the WAC, MWC, etc.... Instead of giving two to the SEC..

I think 4 teams is waaay too many. I agree with bronce pride that it teaches kids is okay with being average/below average. A true reflection of our society today, and the reason people want things handed to them instead of earning it (Wall Street protestors). It all started when everyone got the same color ribbon for running a race, and nobody received a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place ribbon when they earned it. If it were up to me, I would be okay with sending 3 teams in a district that has 8 teams but only 2 teams when a district has 6 (or less). GoDogs27 makes a good point about a weak district vs. a strong district. I remember it was frustrating when I was in school when we finished 3rd and did not make the playoffs. Our loss to WOS in the last minute of the game knocked us out. WOS was ranked #1 in the state at the time, and PNG made it to the quarter finals that year. That's more an exception vs. the rule though.

I would like to see it go back to the top 2 teams from each district. Way too many average teams in the playoffs now. Making the playoffs should really mean sometime special for those who pour everything into it..I say this even though the current system would give my old school a shot from time to time...just my 2 cents..

I for one am a football fan first and foremost.  So, more football is always a good thing.  And I hardly think taking 4 teams from each district teaches kids to be ok with mediocrity.  Don't know too many players/coaches/schools whose sole purpose is to slide into the playoffs in the fourth spot with a losing record....and 99 times out of 100 those weak teams get blasted the first week anyway.  You still have to earn the district championship and you still have bring it come playoff time to keep your season going.  Look at district 20-4a.  It's the last week of the season and 3 out of the 4 games will affect which teams go to the playoffs, which also affects the bi-district matchups.  Seems like that creates alot of interest across district lines.  As parents, how is that bad for our kids?  As fans, how is that bad for our teams? 

[quote name="pngfan97" post="1100544" timestamp="1320071928"]
I for one am a football fan first and foremost.  So, more football is always a good thing.  And I hardly think taking 4 teams from each district teaches kids to be ok with mediocrity.  Don't know too many players/coaches/schools whose sole purpose is to slide into the playoffs in the fourth spot with a losing record....and 99 times out of 100 those weak teams get blasted the first week anyway.  You still have to earn the district championship and you still have bring it come playoff time to keep your season going.  Look at district 20-4a.  It's the last week of the season and 3 out of the 4 games will affect which teams go to the playoffs, which also affects the bi-district matchups.  Seems like that creates alot of interest across district lines.  As parents, how is that bad for our kids?  As fans, how is that bad for our teams?
[/quote]so why keep it at 4 teams lets make it six or better yet everyone gets in.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1100580" timestamp="1320075013"]
[quote author=pngfan97 link=topic=90673.msg1100544#msg1100544 date=1320071928]
[/quote]so why keep it at 4 teams lets make it six or better yet everyone gets in.
[/quote]

;D ;D

It's all about the moola the UIL makes off the extra games. It is not going to change. I think it will stay at four. The weaker teams that back into the playoffs will be gone soon enough. The good teams that barely make it, well, that's football and you have to beat them too, because they may get their second wind. Just my opinion.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder