Basketball Conditioning Question

Someone mentioned to me last week that their kid participate in cross- country running as off season conditioning. Not sure of the reasoning why this is done unless it gives the players something to do while the gyms are being occupied by volleyball games and practice.

I am from the school of thought that cross-country training does not adequately prepare one for basketball. Distance running uses a whole "nother" set of muscle fibers and energy than basketball.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some believe that when the game gets near the end and everything is on the line, the better conditioned athletes do not let it creep into their mind that they are tired or don't have enough gas left in the tank to "get it done".  The HJ 91 State Championship team ( I mention this only because I know how much you LOVE HJ) had to complete a 15 mile race before the first day of practice in order to make the team. This team, while not particularly athletic, ran nearly every opponent out of the gym and averaged around 100 points per game.  I can personally attest to how that conditioning benefitted the team and was detrimental to the opposition.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1073274" timestamp="1317745190"]
It doesn't help at all and no one else should try it.... ;D  ;)
[/quote]

You may be right. It seemed that last year's HJ team faded in the 4th quarter in both games against Silsbee. ;)

Silsbee plays football, no cross country. ;D

[quote name="stevenash" post="1073243" timestamp="1317742791"]
Some believe that when the game gets near the end and everything is on the line, the better conditioned athletes do not let it creep into their mind that they are tired or don't have enough gas left in the tank to "get it done".  The HJ 91 State Championship team ( I mention this only because I know how much you LOVE HJ) had to complete a 15 mile race before the first day of practice in order to make the team. This team, while not particularly athletic, ran nearly every opponent out of the gym and averaged around 100 points per game.  I can personally attest to how that conditioning benefitted the team and was detrimental to the opposition.
[/quote] I also believe in the 4th quarter conditioning. But surely HJ stopped running cross country after the season started?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1073283" timestamp="1317745996"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=89266.msg1073274#msg1073274 date=1317745190]
It doesn't help at all and no one else should try it.... ;D  ;)
[/quote]

You may be right. It seemed that last year's HJ team faded in the 4th quarter in both games against Silsbee. ;)

Silsbee plays football, no cross country. ;D
[/quote]*Ouch*  ;D

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1073307" timestamp="1317747365"]
Well it can give you what you need to win state as HJ did in 07, Seems as though other teams faded that year in the fourth quarter, then and in 09
[/quote]

Expected that '07 reference. ::)

BTW, Silsbee beat HJ 2 out of 3 in '09. ;)

Who knows?- I have high hopes that their fourth quarter performance(s) will be better this year. (although lack of depth can certainly be a component of "fading" down the stretch) Cross Country has as much or more to do with mental toughness as anything and it develops mental toughness better than any sport out there.  If the cross country coach is also on the basketball staff, my guess is that he will be sure that the correct "fibers" get used. 

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1073303" timestamp="1317747184"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=89266.msg1073243#msg1073243 date=1317742791]
[/quote] I also believe in the 4th quarter conditioning. But surely HJ stopped running cross country after the season started?
[/quote]

Affirmative

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1073314" timestamp="1317747789"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=89266.msg1073307#msg1073307 date=1317747365]
Well it can give you what you need to win state as HJ did in 07, Seems as though other teams faded that year in the fourth quarter, then and in 09
[/quote]

[/quote]

But in 09 HJ won the one that mattered between us. "the important one" and HJ did make it to the regional tournament in 2011,

On a separate note, funny how it was every other year.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1073410" timestamp="1317755905"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=89266.msg1073314#msg1073314 date=1317747789]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=89266.msg1073307#msg1073307 date=1317747365]
[/quote]

[/quote]

But in 09[b] HJ won the one that mattered between us.[/b] "the important one" and HJ did make it to the regional tournament in 2011,

On a separate note, funny how it was every other year.
[/quote]

The won that mattered? In '09, HJ and Silsbee split in district and Silsbee won the district tie breaker. They did not meet in the regional final that year. (and we all know why :'()

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1073237" timestamp="1317742453"]
Someone mentioned to me last week that their kid participate in cross- country running as off season conditioning. Not sure of the reasoning why this is done unless it gives the players something to do while the gyms are being occupied by volleyball games and practice.

I am from the school of thought that cross-country training does not adequately prepare one for basketball. Distance running uses a whole "nother" set of muscle fibers and energy than basketball.
[/quote]  U are so right BLUE.

[/quote]

Dove- Isn't a basketball game a sort of distance run itself with some sprints mixed in?  In regard to energy, I didn't know that there is a "different" energy used in basketball vs running.  I  thought energy was energy.

[/quote]

Cross country training utilizes and conditions slow twitch muscle fibers. Fast twitch muscle fibers are utilized in sprinting, jumping, all explosive movements , etc. Just compare a long distance runner's legs to a sprinters. There is what's called "specificity of training". In other words if I want to improve my vertical I wouldn't choose seated knee extensions, I would choose an exercise that's works the muscles in the specific manner they will be needed, so I would choose jumping movements, esp. plyometrics. There is also aerobic and non-aerobic activities. Long
distance running is aerobic, and believe it or not basketball is predominantly non-aerobic, short distance sprints with decreased activity in between. Yes, basketball has an aerobic component, however, my lengthy point is "specificity of training". If you are engaging in cross country running to condition yourself for basketball you most definitely will not achieve optimal results.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1074507" timestamp="1317871344"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=89266.msg1074494#msg1074494 date=1317870249]
Way to go 5 ;) You win the prize. Good job.
[/quote]

Been in the "business" a while.....still get a little excited  ;)
[/quote]

Seems like the mental toughness aspect is still valid.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1074582" timestamp="1317900929"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=89266.msg1074507#msg1074507 date=1317871344]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=89266.msg1074494#msg1074494 date=1317870249]
Way to go 5 ;) You win the prize. Good job.
[/quote]

Been in the "business" a while.....still get a little excited  ;)
[/quote]

Seems like the mental toughness aspect is still valid.
[/quote]

Can't argue that!

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1074488" timestamp="1317869241"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=89266.msg1073237#msg1073237 date=1317742453]

[/quote]

Cross country training utilizes and conditions slow twitch muscle fibers. Fast twitch muscle fibers are utilized in sprinting, jumping, all explosive movements , etc. Just compare a long distance runner's legs to a sprinters. There is what's called "specificity of training". In other words if I want to improve my vertical I wouldn't choose seated knee extensions, I would choose an exercise that's works the muscles in the specific manner they will be needed, so I would choose jumping movements, esp. plyometrics. There is also aerobic and non-aerobic activities. Long
distance running is aerobic, and believe it or not basketball is predominantly non-aerobic, short distance sprints with decreased activity in between. Yes, basketball has an aerobic component, however, my lengthy point is "specificity of training". If you are engaging in cross country running to condition yourself for basketball you most definitely will not achieve optimal results.
[/quote]

But at H-J we exercise both sets of muscle fibers!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw