Jeff Matthews....best Athletic Director in 20-4A

Haven't posted in a long time but have been reading a lot of threads over the years and just wanted to start one concerning someone I think is the most under rated coach in the Golden Triangle, Jeff Matthews. I'm a Pirate from the 70's and can remember playing about 8 homecomings a year and the Interstate 10 Vidor 0 jokes that ran around even though the '75 team went 5-4-1 and we won district two years later all under Ronnie Thompson. However, he didn't stay with the team. After that, we've had mediocre success at best in all sports fields until Jeff was hired as A.D. Jeff hired Brian English (your welcome Nederland) as the basketball coach and we became a district playoff power. He hired Kyle Green and we make the playoffs in baseball every year now. The girls softball team made it to the state championship in 2003. Two years ago, all four major boys sports made the playoffs. And he's the only coach that has anywhere near a winning record with our football team including his playoffs ventures. Seems we don't play very many homecomings anymore unless the other team likes LOSING for homecoming. Lastly, Jeff has had a huge impact on Vidor's image fighting any impression of racism with the Pirate teams producing scholarly, well mannered and competitive young men and women. All of this and having turned down opportunities to coach at other schools including his alma mater, Bridge City. Thank you Jeff for making Vidor a respected power in local sports and for the great job you have done mentoring our children.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is perfect.  And there are lots of great Coaches and ADs in Southeast Texas.

But I am one Pirate Fan who is glad that we have had Jeff so long and hope we keep him another decade or two.

But there is something else that you did not mention.  It is how he recognizes and interacts with obscure young kids (ones that he meets doing Little League Outreach or Summer Camps at the School) at Wal-Mart or at BB games.  He truly loves the kids and the kids know it.

Iv'e said it more than once in response to those so called Pirate fans that think the grass is greener, Mathews is great for that School. Vidor is no longer and has not been for a while the 20-4A punching bag and not just in football. Kids inVidor want to stay plugged into the Vidor sports scene which is allways a plus.

Guest jettyman
I am happy to know I helped this guy get into the business almost 20 years ago.  I trained him to take over my job which was working with handicapped children ( Adapted P.E.) and he was a natural. I knew the first day I meet him he was a good person.  I know for a fact that he makes the kids feel appreciated for their efforts even though the score doesn't always reflect a victory.  Although, communities respond to wins and losses I know that his athletes are better people when they depart from his program.  Proud of you Jeff, keep up the good work.

[quote name="pngfan1" post="1051668" timestamp="1315443056"]
I have aleays been a Matthews fan. Like others have said , Vidor is not a punching bag like they have been before. Not to mention what he has done for Vidor athletics across the board. He is a first class guy and a coach anybody would be proud to have.
[/quote]Yes he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1051771" timestamp="1315464234"]
As for that fighting racist stigma thing, again i apologize for crosby a couple years ago the school board handled that situation horribly.
[/quote]
Lol and we thought yall were just scared  ::)  :o  ;D jk jk

Hey GoDogs27, we hadn't beaten ya'll in football ever until 1976. Now, [u]you are a rival [/u] and we beat you on a regular basis, like last year. Jeff wouldn't spend so much time on the field if you weren't playing with 13 players including the ones in black and white stripes like in 2009. Sorry, your first TD was 10 yards out of the end zone. And, since we play in Bulldog Stadium this year, we'll probably be there until 1:00 a.m. again. Looking forward to a great game. Go Pirates!!!

I don't think anyone is gonna disagree with what Matthews has done for Vidor. Turning around one program (basketball) was the start, I think? That was impressive in itself. But to do it across the board in so many sports (sounds like most sports now) is unheard of. I cannot think of another AD in our area who has done as much as he has accomplished ( in the past 25 years). I'm sure it's been done somewhere else in Texas, but I am not aware. Maybe someone has an example of another AD who has turned things around so drastically? For a long time, you could chalk up a 'W' when playing V-V-V-I-D... That is no longer the case thanks to Matthews!!

[quote name="robanadana" post="1051816" timestamp="1315484335"]
Hey GoDogs27, we hadn't beaten ya'll in football ever until 1976. Now, [u]you are a rival [/u] and we beat you on a regular basis, like last year. Jeff wouldn't spend so much time on the field if you weren't playing with 13 players including the ones in black and white stripes like in 2009. Sorry, your first TD was 10 yards out of the end zone. And, since we play in Bulldog Stadium this year, we'll probably be there until 1:00 a.m. again. Looking forward to a great game. Go Pirates!!!
[/quote]

Anyone(WOS grad) have the all time record for Vidor Vs. Nederland? Maybe just the past 20 years? I wonder if PNG saw us as a rival while they beat us 19 years in a row (from 1965-1984, I think?)...

he has personally called me to let me know of some rumors going around some students just to give me a heads up that my kid's name was mentioned. it turned out to be just that but, how many ad's would take the time to call a parent to let him know of this kind of situation. he called my from his cell and finished with...if you EVER have a question or need some help with ANYTHING, just give me a call on this cell. he's a very good guy...good christian guy. he knows that 95% of the kids that play highschool sports don't play at the next level. he helps teach them to be productive men and women outside of sports too. i'm proud my kids participate in athletics at visd. he represents the area well.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1051816" timestamp="1315484335"]
[/quote]
Newsflash: Nederland does not consider Vidor to be a rival. We still don't even consider Vidor to be relevant. And Vidor bets Nederland on a consistent basis? What constitutes a "consistent basis"? How many time over the last 10-20 years? How many playoff appearances?  Vidor gets hyped up to play Ned every year for some reason. Rest assured, we have our own rivalry game to contend with..

I must agree, growing up I had an image that wasn't pretty nice.  Central use to be one of those that scheduled the Pirates for homecoming.  Now, i really hate playing Vidor for a different reason.  Our last couple of games against them have been some real close and great games.  They seem to be one of the teams that really gives us fits. 

And Central loosing to Vidor in basketball!  Use to be unheard of.  Not anymore.

I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Matthews in my first year over at Legacy a couple of years back.  Before meeting him I thought he would be one way but after talking to him and him helping us out over there, I have a totally different view.  Prejudicy still exist, but I view that school and town in a totally different manner now.  I have read where some of the Vidor fans don't want him anymore.  If he ran a different type of offense, i would gladly take him as our OC now or if we ever had a HC vacancy.  The grass isn't always greener...

[quote name="robanadana" post="1051969" timestamp="1315504614"]
Hey NHS1990, I'm not talking about 1990, I'm talking about right now. Let's discuss the Mathews years, not ancient history. We had a hard time beating TAPPS schools for a while there.
[/quote]

Maybe u misunderstood my statement. It was purely an inquiry. If we take a look at the last 20 years, then take a look at the last 5 yrs or so, I think it will show the progress made by Matthews and Vidor!

I agree Jeff Matthews is a good coach  and great with the kids and community but when your talking about a coach making a change, you have to look at Larry Newman from Nederland. I think he has been coach for  Nederland  for 19 years and been in playoffs 16 of those years. i graduated in Nederland in 84 and before him we were terrible in just about all sports, it was not fun at all.  thanks for all you have done coach Newman . Oh and was offered other jobs but he stayed in Nederland .. GO DOGS

[quote]
Newsflash: Nederland does not consider Vidor to be a rival. [b]We still don't even consider Vidor to be relevant[/b]. And Vidor bets Nederland on a consistent basis? What constitutes a "consistent basis"? How many time over the last 10-20 years? How many playoff appearances?  Vidor gets hyped up to play Ned every year for some reason. Rest assured, we have our own rivalry game to contend with..
[/quote]

I got a Newsflash for ya GoDogs27, the 24-14 but kicking Vidor gave Nederland last year was pretty relevant......don't you think

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder