Justin Thomas of WOS ruled ineligible

[quote name="rykerx144" post="1045325" timestamp="1314764430"]
Do we really need the smoking gun at this point??  My respect for Coach T has grown 110% in the past few days.  My hats off to him for cleaning things up.  Its not going to do any good to point fingers at this point.  The bottom line is the that the guilty party is no longer part of the program.  Whether it be the student, the parents, or the previous administration (which alot of you are alluding too but scared to just come out and say it) it doesnt matter because none of them are associated with the program anymore.  Again, hats off to ya Coach T, the kids and that program are lucky to have you on board now and you are without a doubt the right man for that job.  kudos!!
[/quote]

I agree with 100% of your post. I would like to add one clarification. It has nothing to do with the old regime.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1045351" timestamp="1314793011"]
"Traced back to the 6th grade?" Hmmm, this means somebody made a phone call at some time to start this investigation.
[/quote]

Yes, Coach Thompson did.  After he saw the form, it was explained in the article.

For clarification JT did not fail the sixth grade, he was taken out of school to be home schooled and upon re-entry to the school district the following year he was placed back into the sixth grade. He was just a child at that point and unfortunately for him got caught up in something he had no control over which has led to the issues today. Good Luck to the young man. Hopefully he puts his athletic talents to good use and gets that degree from Utah.

The parents however???

Also hats off to Coach T for recognizing a snafu that had obviuosly been ignored in the past (date switching that is). Probably put several area coaches on notice with this one!!!

[quote name="the sports guy" post="1045426" timestamp="1314802132"]
I would bet anyone Utah knew how old he was.  If they knew... he knew and his parents did as well.  I also believe that WOS and Thompson did nothing wrong.
[/quote]I think the birth dates are on the partial transcripts @ Utah

[quote name="hj15" post="1045636" timestamp="1314823620"]
If he is a senior and he is turning 20, does'nt that mean he has been held back twice?
[/quote] Double grade exception.....correct PLUS!!!! A late birthday. If he was held back once, he would be turning 19 and asking UIL for a waiver. ;)

[quote name="rykerx144" post="1045325" timestamp="1314764430"]
Do we really need the smoking gun at this point??  My respect for Coach T has grown 110% in the past few days.  My hats off to him for cleaning things up.  Its not going to do any good to point fingers at this point.  The bottom line is the that the guilty party is no longer part of the program.  Whether it be the student, the parents, or the previous administration (which alot of you are alluding too but scared to just come out and say it) it doesnt matter because none of them are associated with the program anymore.  Again, hats off to ya Coach T, the kids and that program are lucky to have you on board now and you are without a doubt the right man for that job.  kudos!!
[/quote]

If the current Coach is truly the one who innocently brought this out in the open, then I applaud him; however, pointing fingers is EXACTLY what needs to happen.  If someone at WOS schools is involved (old, new or current), then it should be investigated.  School records were changed for crying out loud.  The pile is too big to sweep under the rug...YES, we need the smoking gun (and whomever pulled the trigger).

[quote name="SmashMouth" post="1045857" timestamp="1314849569"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=87395.msg1045325#msg1045325 date=1314764430]
[/quote]

If the current Coach is truly the one who innocently brought this out in the open, then I applaud him; however, pointing fingers is EXACTLY what needs to happen.  If someone at WOS schools is involved (old, new or current), then it should be investigated.  School records were changed for crying out loud.  The pile is too big to sweep under the rug...YES, we need the smoking gun (and whomever pulled the trigger).
[/quote]

Smoking gun for what?  The player involved in this has been declared ineligible and will never participate in any high school competition ever again.  The player in question was eligible for every other high school year which he participated so no player was wrongfully on the field as a result of this.

Sounds like some wants to stomp around to try and transform all of those years of sour grapes.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1045860" timestamp="1314850102"]
[quote author=SmashMouth link=topic=87395.msg1045857#msg1045857 date=1314849569]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=87395.msg1045325#msg1045325 date=1314764430]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Smoking gun for what?  The player involved in this has been declared ineligible and will never participate in any high school competition ever again.  The player in question was eligible for every other high school year which he participated so no player was wrongfully on the field as a result of this.

Sounds like some wants to stomp around to try and transform all of those years of sour grapes.
[/quote]
No sour grapes here.  The issue is no longer the eligibility...the issue is criminal activity in the school district.  I have nothing, whatsoever, against WOS.  If you weren't from WOS then you might have a more objective point of view.  Let's say someone attempts to do something illegal but their plan is unsuccessful...isn't a crime still committed?  WHO CHANGED THE SCHOOL DOCUMENTS!!!  I don't want anything to happen to the athlete (other than a lesson learned).  I want to know who changed the documents, and I want to know what is going to be done about their criminal activity.  Quit blinding yourselves with school loyalty and start trying to figure out who committed the crime!

Criminal activity, you know of what level the State of Texas considers this type of tampering with a government document?  A class C misdemeanor!  Texas Penal Code, Section 37.10 (c)(3).  That's right, you are calling on John Kimbrough office to conduct a clandestine investigation of a program where the penalty will be that same as if you or I were caught speeding. 

Should this be evaluated by the district? Of course it should!  Because that should have been caught in the past and there was carelessness by someone in not coming upon that much earlier than days before an ineligible player would have been let on the field.  But for you to take this incident and infer intentional wrongdoing by the district is completely baseless.

If you have no beef against WO-S, why are you so intent that some sort of investigation take place?  Do you call the police department every time some flies by you when they are obviously exceeding the speed limit?  For someone who has no beef against WO-S, me thinks you dost protest a little too loudly!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1045998" timestamp="1314890741"]
Criminal activity, you know of what level the State of Texas considers this type of tampering with a government document?  A class C misdemeanor!  Texas Penal Code, Section 37.10 (c)(3).  That's right, you are calling on John Kimbrough office to conduct a clandestine investigation of a program where the penalty will be that same as if you or I were caught speeding. 

Should this be evaluated by the district? Of course it should!  Because that should have been caught in the past and there was carelessness by someone in not coming upon that much earlier than days before an ineligible player would have been let on the field.  But for you to take this incident and infer intentional wrongdoing by the district is completely baseless.

If you have no beef against WO-S, why are you so intent that some sort of investigation take place?  Do you call the police department every time some flies by you when they are obviously exceeding the speed limit?  For someone who has no beef against WO-S, me thinks you dost protest a little too loudly!
[/quote]I do not have a dog in this fight but if someone intentionally changed date on a formal document then all hell should break loose over it. Imagine a 15 year old lining up against a 20 year old----are you kidding me?

[/quote]

[b](2)  An offense under this section is a [color=red]felony of the third degree if[/color] it is shown on the trial of the offense that [color=red]the governmental record was[/color]:

(A)  [color=red]a public school record[/color], report, or assessment instrument required under Chapter 39, Education Code, or was a license, certificate, permit, seal, title, letter of patent, or similar document issued by government, by another state, or by the United States, unless the actor's intent is to defraud or harm another, in which event the offense is a felony of the second degree;[/b]

The Class C (37.10 (c)[3] as you cite) is for tampering with a record in order to establish residency. I really don't think that a date of birth establishes the location of a person's home.

[b](3)  An offense under this section is a [color=red]Class C misdemeanor if[/color] it is shown on the trial of the offense that the governmental record is a governmental record that is required for enrollment of a student in a school district [color=red]and was used by the actor to establish the residency of the student.[/color][/b]

[quote name="tvc184" post="1046012" timestamp="1314892577"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=87395.msg1045998#msg1045998 date=1314890741]
[/quote]

[b](2)  An offense under this section is a [color=red]felony of the third degree if[/color] it is shown on the trial of the offense that [color=red]the governmental record was[/color]:

(A)  [color=red]a public school record[/color], report, or assessment instrument required under Chapter 39, Education Code, or was a license, certificate, permit, seal, title, letter of patent, or similar document issued by government, by another state, or by the United States, unless the actor's intent is to defraud or harm another, in which event the offense is a felony of the second degree;[/b]

The Class C (37.10 (c)[3] as you cite) is for tampering with a record in order to establish residency. I really don't think that a date of birth establishes the location of a person's home.

[b](3)  An offense under this section is a [color=red]Class C misdemeanor if[/color] it is shown on the trial of the offense that the governmental record is a governmental record that is required for enrollment of a student in a school district [color=red]and was used by the actor to establish the residency of the student.[/color][/b]
[/quote][quote author=tvc184 link=topic=87395.msg1046012#msg1046012 date=1314892577]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Chapter 39 of the Texas Education Code:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/ed/htm/ed.39.htm

I don't think a date of birth has to do with public school system accountability, either.

[/quote]

Hmmmm...I'm not sure it's a Class C.  Depending on the intent, tampering with government documents can get as high as a second degree felony.  Guess I should read the reference you provided as this is just based on what I've seen ;).  Didn't know it could go lower than a Class A Misdemeanor. I'm sure someone on here is an attorney and could clarify.  Not quite sure it's worth taxpayer dollars for a criminal investigation though.

[quote name="rollinac" post="1046017" timestamp="1314892974"]

[/quote]

Hmmmm...I'm not sure it's a Class C.  Depending on the intent, tampering with government documents can get as high as a second degree felony.  Guess I should read the reference you provided as this is just based on what I've seen ;).  Didn't know it could go lower than a Class A Misdemeanor. I'm sure someone on here is an attorney and could clarify.  Not quite sure it's worth taxpayer dollars for a criminal investigation though.
[/quote]

Well, it just so happens that WOSGrad is an attorney. In fact, he is SETXsports attorney. ;)