BRIDGE CITY JUNIORS AT WORLD SERIES (KIRKLAND, WA)

POOL A RESULTS (Top 2 advance to bracket)

*Croswell (MI)........4-0
*Tampa (FL).........3-1
Bellevue (WA)......2-2
Philippines...........1-3
Canada..............0-4

*Clinched Bracket Spot

August 14
Croswell (MI) 1  Philippines 0
Bellevue (WA) 10  Canada 5
August 15
Bellevue (WA) 3  Philippines 0
Croswell (MI) 9  Tampa (FL) 3
August 16
Tampa (FL) 4  Bellevue (WA) 1
Philippines 12  Canada 2
August 17
Croswell (MI) 9  Canada 2
Tampa (FL) 2  Philippines 0
August 18
Tampa (FL) 12  Canada 2
Croswell (MI) 6  Bellevue (WA) 4

POOL B RESULTS (Top 2 advance to bracket)

*Bridge City (TX).......3-1
*Greensburg (PA)......3-1
Anchorage (AK).......2-2
Curacao.................1-3
Netherlands............1-3

*Clinched Bracket Spot

August 14
Bridge City (TX) 8  Greensburg (PA) 7
Curacao 1  The Netherlands 0
August 15
Greensburg (PA) 8  The Netherlands 0
Anchorage (AK) 5  Bridge City (TX) 3
August 16
Bridge City (TX) 5  Curacao 0  
Greensburg (PA) 8  Anchorage (AK) 4
August 17
The Netherlands 2  Anchorage (AK) 1
Greensburg (PA) 6  Curacao 5
August 18
Anchorage (AK) 2  Curacao 0
Bridge City (TX) 5  The Netherlands 1

First of all...congrats to the BC LL for their performance thus far.  They have represented SETX well.

Second.  I had the same quesiton [i]babe[/i] and [i]badndn[/i] about tie breakers for a 3-way tie, which seems probable.  From the little league web site, for baseball world series format, the rules read:

[i]First team from pool play to advance to the championship bracket is the one with the lowest "run differential".  Runs allowed / innings played defense.  Second team to advance is head to head winner of the two remaining teams.[/i]

Using that formula and assuming (1) it is based on run differential between the 3 teams involved and (2) they all play the same number of innings West would advance based on the following runs allowed:  West - 11, SW - 12, East - 12

SW (Bridge City) holds the tie-break over East since they won head-to-head and would be the second team to advance.  

Rules could be different for softball but this is all I could find and it does seem logical.  Run differential could also be calculated for all four pool games which means the outcome could change in the next two days.

In case you didn't know, you can follow the action live at
http://www.littleleague.org/series/2011divisions/jlsb/series.htm

BC
8-7 over East +1
3-5 vs West -2
=-1

East
7-8 vs BC -1
8-4 over West +4
=+3

West
5-3 over BC +2
4-8 vs East -4
=-2

If what you read for LL is true then the East team would go #1 seed and then head to head BC vs West means West would go #2 seed. Playing it out and hopefully it doesn't come to that or they use different rules in LL Softball.

"Run differential" per the little league rules on the web site was calculated as runs allowed divided by innings of defense.  Basically a runs allowed per inning formula, not a score differential.

It looks like they want to reward fewest runs allowed with minimal bias caused by extra inning games.

[quote name="Fracc" post="1036357" timestamp="1313553449"]
"Run differential" per the little league rules on the web site was calculated as runs allowed divided by innings of defense.  Basically a runs allowed per inning formula, not a score differential.

[b]It looks like they want to reward fewest runs allowed with minimal bias caused by extra inning games.[/b]

[/quote]
That's not really Run Differential, but whatever the formula, if it has our locals in the Semi's I'm on board. HS football does a point differential with an 18 point cap per game, it can really become confussing! ???

The way I'm seeing this is:

East is in with a 3-1 record

If Southwest (Bridge City) beats EMEA (Netherlands) then
     Bridge City will be 1st Place team from Pool B
     East will be 2nd Place team from Pool B

If Southwest (Bridge City) loses to EMEA (Netherlands) then
     East will be 1st Place team from Pool B
     EMEA or Latin America will be 2nd Place team from Pool B

I don't know the tie-breaking rules, but:
  If Bridge City loses they will be 2-2, EMEA will be 2-2 and the winner between West and Latin America will be 2-2.
     If West beats Latin America, EMEA will have beaten both Bridge City and West and therefore would be the 2nd Place team
     If Latin America beats West, the tie-breaker I think is defensive runs scored.
       Bridge City gave up 0 runs to Latin America but will have to give up at minimun of one extra run to EMEA
       EMEA gave up 1 run to Latin America
       This means that EMEA can do no worse than tie Bridge City for defensive runs, and have them head-to-head
     If EMEA beats Bridge City but Bridge City scores 4 runs or more, then Latin America will be the 2nd Place team
        unless the final score is 5-4, then all 3 teams end up with 5 runs allowed (coin flip?)

Hopefully Bridge City will win and none of this will come into play.
Again, I don't know the tie-breaker rules. I'm just speculating.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    voodoopriestonline
    Newest Member
    voodoopriestonline