Please Don't Make The Game Even Slower!

KFDM COOP

Replay in Baseball

Baseball GMs want to look over instant replay

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer

November 15, 2006

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) -- When it comes to instant replay, baseball general managers want to look it over.

GMs plan to talk about the topic some more, and perhaps make recommendations in the future, even they know commissioner Bud Selig is against the having replays aid umpires' decisions.

"There is sufficient interest in it that it really warrants further discussion," baseball senior vice president Joe Garagiola Jr. said Wednesday at the GMs' annual meetings. "There's no specific action item at the moment. We just want to keep talking about the different ways it could come into play and just keep kind of refining our thinking on the topic."

GMs have repeatedly discussed the topic but know replays aren't likely to be used while Selig is in charge. Two years ago, GMs split 15-15 on a vote to further consider the use of instant replay. This time, they asked a committee that deals with umpires to develop recommendations for the full GMs group. Many GMs would favor replays on fair/foul calls and disputed home runs.

"The commissioner's views on instant replay are well known but I also know he respects the body here," Garagiola said. "So it's an important topic to continue to discuss."

Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella, whose been known to speak his mind to umpires, doesn't think there's a need for replays.

"Umpires do a really nice job," he said. "I think that's the way baseball has been played since inception. I don't see any reason to change it."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder