Nederland ???

I've got a prediction! Oh, wait, The-NHS might get mad.... ;D

In all seriousness, I look for Nederland to be a playoff team. I don't think it's going to be the district winner, but a good defense filled with returning starters and some solid, somewhat experienced guns on offense will make Nederland a good, playoff caliber team.

But, with that said, the teams to beat will be Central, Livingston and, of course, PN-G. ;D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1031515" timestamp="1312482108"]

In all seriousness, I look for Nederland to be a playoff team. I don't think it's going to be the district winner, but a good defense filled with returning starters and some solid, somewhat experienced guns on offense will make Nederland a good, playoff caliber team.

But, with that said, the teams to beat will be Central, Livingston and, of course, PN-G. ;D
[/quote]

Let's hear your real prediction! So I'm assuming your placing Nederland in your four? If so, I'd say your top 4 are accurate. MCM won't be close though. Faircloth won't know what hit him even though he'll send scouts to watch us every friday until MCM. We can save MCM trash talk until 4 weeks before the game though! ;D

[quote name="The-NHS" post="1031538" timestamp="1312484702"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=86221.msg1031515#msg1031515 date=1312482108]

[/quote]

Let's hear your real prediction! So I'm assuming your placing Nederland in your four? If so, I'd say your top 4 are accurate. MCM won't be close though. Faircloth won't know what hit him even though he'll send scouts to watch us every friday until MCM. We can save MCM trash talk until 4 weeks before the game though! ;D
[/quote]

My real prediction? Nederland sticks to the usual and goes 4-3 in district, losing to the aforementioned three (PN-G included ;) :D).

You really think Neumann won't be doing the same thing with his scouts? :D

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1031648" timestamp="1312501588"]
I think we are 8-3 in the last 11 years vs. PNG :o
[/quote]

That's changing. The teams are tied 2-2 since I've been in high school.

But if we're going to go back eleven games, we might as well go back all 87 games in which case PN-G is ahead 48-32-7 with a nineteen game streak of no losses to Nederland, not to mention an eight game shutout streak against Nederland before that. ;D

I'll jump in on this MC action!  Last year, it appeared that PN-G was head and shoulders better than Nederland, but nederland won.  This year, Nederland should be better than PN-G, therefore, PN-G wins.  There I said it.  I'm rolling with big Ned.  Boo Yaaw!!  8) ;D

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1031655" timestamp="1312502527"]
I'll jump in on this MC action!  Last year, it appeared that PN-G was head and shoulders better than Nederland, but nederland won.  This year, Nederland should be better than PN-G, therefore, PN-G wins.  There I said it.  I'm rolling with big Ned.  Boo Yaaw!!  8) ;D
[/quote]

Thats a pretty good analytical system you got going there Soulja.... ;D

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1031655" timestamp="1312502527"]
I'll jump in on this MC action!  Last year, it appeared that PN-G was head and shoulders better than Nederland, but nederland won.  This year, Nederland should be better than PN-G, therefore, PN-G wins.  There I said it.  I'm rolling with big Ned.  Boo Yaaw!!   8) ;D
[/quote]

If there's one thing that Mid-County Madness proves, it's that records, statistics and predictions mean nothing when Friday night rolls around and the stadium lights go on. When these two teams meet each other on the field - when these two schools are pitted against each other in any form of competition - anything can happen. The rivalry between Port Neches-Groves and Nederland is ingrained in the very fabric of these three communities and is steeped in tradition. Entire generations of PN-G and Nederland students - generations of many families - find themselves fighting out the rivalry in some way, form or fashion across dinner tables, in churches and at workplaces all across Southeast Texas and all across the country, even the world. Children, adults and senior citizens alike have been taught to take pride in these communities and participate in this rivalry for as long as most of them can remember. While other schools find their rival schools falling off their schedules, moving into different classifications and simply electing not to continue the tradition or even shutting down, PN-G and Nederland have continued to maintain a fiercely competitive environment that has brought out the best of their students, faculties and communities.

In other words, we hate each other, we always have hated each other, and we always will hate each other. Scalp 'em. ;D

And yes, there's a reason PN-G came before Nederland every time I said the two names in this post. ;D

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1031650" timestamp="1312501956"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=86221.msg1031648#msg1031648 date=1312501588]
[/quote]

But if we're going to go back eleven games, we might as well go back all 87 games in which case PN-G is ahead 48-32-7 with a nineteen game streak of no losses to Nederland, not to mention an eight game shutout streak against Nederland before that. ;D
[/quote]

Hasn't changed a whole lot since Neumann got there, 12-6 in the last 18 years and 8-3 in the last 11 as ForeverADog stated.  we have put a dent in that overall lead in lately.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1031668" timestamp="1312504349"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=86221.msg1031650#msg1031650 date=1312501956]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=86221.msg1031648#msg1031648 date=1312501588]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hasn't changed a whole lot since Neumann got there, 12-6 in the last 18 years and 8-3 in the last 11 as ForeverADog stated.  we have put a dent in that overall lead in lately.
[/quote]

There's a variable in this equation now.

Neumann has been coach at Nederland now for 18 years. His system is fully implemented, his plays have all been run, and his tricks have all been played at some point in his career. He's still an excellent, very crafty coach and, based on Nederland's overall performance, a great Athletic Director, but Neumann is one of the old guard. His record against PN-G almost entirely reflects his games against Burnett.

Faircloth is running as Head Coach for the first time. His system is not yet fully implemented, and we have yet to see players that developed entirely in it. Every time the fans think they have Faircloth's playbook down, he pulls out something new. He's shown immense flexibility and a certain acumen rarely seen in a young coach. His players have responded with unexpeceted success, and Faircloth isn't sticking with the staples of Southeast Texas football; he's brought in ideas and concepts common to larger, more diverse schools in other parts of the state.

If things remain the same (Neumann isn't talking about retirement and Faircloth says he's here for a while), the PN-G Indians of five years down the road are going to look a lot different than they do today, whereas Nederland will likely be running many of the same things longtime Nederland fans have seen before (perhaps not the same thing he's running now, but almost surely something that he's done before). Does that secure PN-G a dominant stance in the rivalry? No. Does it even mean PN-G will win? No. But it does give the Indians a certain edge and it does leave Nederland with a degree of uncertainty that plays in our favor.

In the end, only time will tell. All bets are off when it comes to this rivalry. But be aware: you won't be seeing the same old PN-G that [u][b]let[/b][/u] Nederland make up some of that ground.

You haven't been watching too closely Bandkid, Neumann has changed up his offense several times over the years to reflect his personnel.  (Spread, I, Pro, Wilddog last year).  So I don't think you will see the same thing this year from what I have heard but there are only so many ways to run an offense, and I am sure they have all been done in the last 100 years of football.  Nothing is really groundbreaking.  I do agree that all bets are off for the rivalry.  I took a friend to a MCM a few years ago and was telling him how close the games were and how tight the rivalry is and the game ended 42-10.  The next year it was 22-19. So you never know.

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1031544" timestamp="1312485530"]

My real prediction? Nederland sticks to the usual and goes 4-3 in district, losing to the aforementioned three (PN-G included ;) :D).

You really think Neumann won't be doing the same thing with his scouts? :D
[/quote]

I know he won't be doing that with his scouts and that's a fact. Not enough scout groups to scout that far in advance.

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1031677" timestamp="1312505196"]
There's a variable in this equation now.

Neumann has been coach at Nederland now for 18 years. His system is fully implemented, his plays have all been run, and his tricks have all been played at some point in his career. He's still an excellent, very crafty coach and, based on Nederland's overall performance, a great Athletic Director, but Neumann is one of the old guard. His record against PN-G almost entirely reflects his games against Burnett.

Faircloth is running as Head Coach for the first time. His system is not yet fully implemented, and we have yet to see players that developed entirely in it. Every time the fans think they have Faircloth's playbook down, he pulls out something new. He's shown immense flexibility and a certain acumen rarely seen in a young coach. His players have responded with unexpeceted success, and Faircloth isn't sticking with the staples of Southeast Texas football; he's brought in ideas and concepts common to larger, more diverse schools in other parts of the state.

If things remain the same (Neumann isn't talking about retirement and Faircloth says he's here for a while), the PN-G Indians of five years down the road are going to look a lot different than they do today, whereas Nederland will likely be running many of the same things longtime Nederland fans have seen before (perhaps not the same thing he's running now, but almost surely something that he's done before). Does that secure PN-G a dominant stance in the rivalry? No. Does it even mean PN-G will win? No. But it does give the Indians a certain edge and it does leave Nederland with a degree of uncertainty that plays in our favor.
[/quote]

Not sure I really agree with your post. Nothing Faircloth "discovers in his playbook" will be something Nederland hasn't seen before or really any coach with any kind of experience for that matter. While it may seem new to you, I can assure you its not. Many wild motions and random formations may seem tricky to the fans but in reality only result in the defense having to make slight adjustments.

Using your logic I could say Faircloth hasn't seen all of Nederland's "tricks"
The past few years Nederland's base offense switched to the spread due to a smaller line and multiple receivers to get the ball to. This year is not those years. Nederland is going to return to smash mouth football and still be capable of mixing it up in the spread. Nederland's defense is also much improved. We only lost one from last year and we now have a secondary capable of manning up allowing our defense to be more aggressive through stunts and lb blitzes. 

Regardless it will be a great game. I apologize for starting MCM WAY TOO EARLY LOL.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1031683" timestamp="1312505970"]
You haven't been watching too closely Bandkid, Neumann has changed up his offense several times over the years to reflect his personnel.  (Spread, I, Pro, Wilddog last year).  So I don't think you will see the same thing this year from what I have heard but there are only so many ways to run an offense, and I am sure they have all been done in the last 100 years of football.  Nothing is really groundbreaking.  I do agree that all bets are off for the rivalry.  I took a friend to a MCM a few years ago and was telling him how close the games were and how tight the rivalry is and the game ended 42-10.  The next year it was 22-19. So you never know.
[/quote]

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that just about anything Neumann uses is going to be something he's probably at least tried out at Nederland at some point. Even Ned fans here have admitted that he's going back to an offense he ran in the late 90s.

Faircloth, on the other hand, is using stuff most longtime PN-G fans (including fans who have been around since the 50s and know every play by name) have never seen the Indians use before.

One of the discussions I've seen pop up on this site and the PN-G site before is the difference in ideologies between football coaches in Southeast Texas and football coaches in other areas of the state. I've also seen a dozen or more posts in which longtime SETX football followers (some from PN-G, some not) stated specifically that Faircloth has used things not often seen on SETX football fields, if seen here at all. Once again, every time people in the stands, former football players included, think they have Faircloth figured out, he pulls something completely new and unexpected. A great example would be the pass made around halftime (can't remember if it was right before or right after) at the Manvel game last year in which the football was handed off probably half a dozen times to half a dozen different players running all across the field as though perfectly orchestrated before it worked its way back to Doty, who made a perfect spiral to an almost completely uncovered Jace Nelson 70 yards down the field while the Manvel secondary sat there scratching their heads. Nobody saw it coming and many eighty year old fans commented that they had never seen PN-G pull a trick like that. There have probably been a dozen or so other plays that had the same reaction.

I'll admit, for argument's sake, that Faircloth probably doesn't know all of Neumann's tricks. With that said, I know Neumann's resourcefulness is well known, but I haven't seen tricks come out of Neumann's play-calling like I've seen come out of Faircloth's. Granted, I haven't seen Neumann coach half as much as Faircloth, but MCM also isn't the only time I've seen Neumann in action, either.

And even if you take play-calling out of the equation and call the two even in that regard, Neumann's program has been implemented for almost two decades now. Burnett's program (no offense to the Burnett family, still think he was a great coach that just lost his fire) was in shambles when Faircloth got here. When we start seeing players on the field that have come all the way up through the Faircloth system, Southeast Texas is going to be in for something completely new.

I think going back to the pro set style offense will work well for Nederland. Neumann had some awesome offenses back when he ran that. His offense in the spread has not been close to some of his offenses were from about 1997-2001.He went from being the top or top two teams in the district to just squeezing into the playoffs the last several years from a a four team playoff district. I think we will see a very good Nederland offense this year , more like the teams from back around late 90's and turn of the century. Good luck to you guys , it should be fun.

Bandkid admit it, under Burnett the only thing you ever saw was run left, right, and up the middle. Welcome to the new and exciting world of football where teams actually have more than three plays in the book ;D The Dogs have played other teams that have used more plays than three. So I'm guessing from your post that the Indians have reinstalled the old send the WR to the sidelines and act like he's talking to the coach play, I can't wait for that one ;)

[quote name="dawgnut" post="1031719" timestamp="1312512490"]
Bandkid admit it, under Burnett the only thing you ever saw was run left, right, and up the middle. Welcome to the new and exciting world of football where teams actually have more than three plays in the book ;D The Dogs have played other teams that have used more plays than three. So I'm guessing from your post that the Indians have reinstalled the old send the WR to the sidelines and act like he's talking to the coach play, I can't wait for that one ;)
[/quote]

Man, I [b]hope[/b] the rest of Nederland is thinking that same thing. :D

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1031714" timestamp="1312511704"]

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that just about anything Neumann uses is going to be something he's probably at least tried out at Nederland at some point. Even Ned fans here have admitted that he's going back to an offense he ran in the late 90s.

Faircloth, on the other hand, is using stuff most longtime PN-G fans (including fans who have been around since the 50s and know every play by name) have never seen the Indians use before.

One of the discussions I've seen pop up on this site and the PN-G site before is the difference in ideologies between football coaches in Southeast Texas and football coaches in other areas of the state. I've also seen a dozen or more posts in which longtime SETX football followers (some from PN-G, some not) stated specifically that Faircloth has used things not often seen on SETX football fields, if seen here at all. Once again, every time people in the stands, former football players included, think they have Faircloth figured out, he pulls something completely new and unexpected. A great example would be the pass made around halftime (can't remember if it was right before or right after) at the Manvel game last year in which the football was handed off probably half a dozen times to half a dozen different players running all across the field as though perfectly orchestrated before it worked its way back to Doty, who made a perfect spiral to an almost completely uncovered Jace Nelson 70 yards down the field while the Manvel secondary sat there scratching their heads. Nobody saw it coming and many eighty year old fans commented that they had never seen PN-G pull a trick like that. There have probably been a dozen or so other plays that had the same reaction.

I'll admit, for argument's sake, that Faircloth probably doesn't know all of Neumann's tricks. With that said, I know Neumann's resourcefulness is well known, but I haven't seen tricks come out of Neumann's play-calling like I've seen come out of Faircloth's. Granted, I haven't seen Neumann coach half as much as Faircloth, but MCM also isn't the only time I've seen Neumann in action, either.

And even if you take play-calling out of the equation and call the two even in that regard, Neumann's program has been implemented for almost two decades now. Burnett's program (no offense to the Burnett family, still think he was a great coach that just lost his fire) was in shambles when Faircloth got here. When we start seeing players on the field that have come all the way up through the Faircloth system, Southeast Texas is going to be in for something completely new.
[/quote]

This is a big ole pile of doo doo. Barrow has ran many trick plays year in year out. Suggesting Faircloth brings something "never seen before" in the area is a joke. Do some laterals and reverses all you want, its all been done before. I feel sorry for people that have watched PNG play since the 50's that are just now seeing trick plays. Do they all stand up in awe and scratch their foreheads?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami