1949 to today...are things better?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1187581/6/index.htm

Being from EL Paso, I have waited for this article for a while.  While the topic of discrimination as it existed back then, and as it exists now...that is for another thread.  My question is:  Coach Herrera taught at Bowie, where the kids had little, and succeeded in taking his kids to the inagural state championship, and winning it.  He then went to Coronado, where he flet the kids didn't care.  It's not a case of ethnicities being better or worse than one another.  However, does affluence equal a reliance on what money can buy you, rather than on how hard you work?  I see arguemnts about bats and rules and other things...but can it be that we worry too much about the fluff, and not the basic abilities of coaching and working?  I have seen kids who are spoiled and monied think that this will get them through...but does it?

(BTW, I don't see the Confederate flag as a problem...it's recognizing your roots, pretty much like some who wave a Mexican flag.)

• 3 weeks later...
Since I have had a few looks, here's the questions I had...

Would a player today have put up with the insults and the less than first class accomodations in today's age (no matter the ethnicity or race)?

Would parents today regard the coach like the parents of then regarded coach Herrera?

Though I am loathe to give anybody grief about expressing their heritage, did the comments and actions in Austin in Soccorro(El Paso)'s game for the state baseball championship belong there, with the confederate flag being waved around, and shouts such as "I speak English" directed toward high school players?  Is it part of the game, or did it go too far?

Is "small ball" being ignored in favor of pitching duels and "jacks over the wall"?

Please let me know if the link works...and answer the questions you want to, a question for each is not necessary... 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder