10 yr olds / Little League Game thread

if u dont have kids, coached or taught them then what is your 2 cents worth?& i would be happi if u can give me a spelling lessin ian purson.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you keep pulling this stuff from. I never said anything about me having taught or coached (I have by the way). All I stated was my coaching philosophy. Everyone's 2 cents is worth something Mr. kf'89. You are just making yourself sound like a fool.

Well to put my 2 cents in...

The Umpires are able to give out warnings in these situations and educate the players and coaches, correct.

A stern warning to the player and an explanation of why the stern warning would of probably been enough. The kids do need to know that at each level of the LL tourney the Umps will become more strict with all the rules. Since this was a district game, why not warn and educate a 10yr old on how not to behave without a drastic punishment?

As for the coach, I also think a warning could of been issued. I mean when does a grown man have to ask permission to go to the bathroom? Only if he is in a chain gang serving time. But if that is a rule by LL it has to be adhered to. So this ump could of warned and educated the coaches that this will not be tolerated in the future. Don't toss a coach for that, toss him for being obnoxious about your strike zone or your bad call on the bases, but really for going to the restroom, c'mon!  ???

I am stressing the educate part because of this umps so called role in education. He needs to apply some of the classroom to the baseball field, is all!

[quote name="JJG" post="1021583" timestamp="1309466431"]

The Umpires are able to give out warnings in these situations and educate the players and coaches, correct.

A stern warning to the player and an explanation of why the stern warning would of probably been enough. The kids do need to know that at each level of the LL tourney the Umps will become more strict with all the rules. Since this was a district game, why not warn and educate a 10yr old on how not to behave without a drastic punishment?

As for the coach, I also think a warning could of been issued. I mean when does a grown man have to ask permission to go to the bathroom? Only if he is in a chain gang serving time. But if that is a rule by LL it has to be adhered to. So this ump could of warned and educated the coaches that this will not be tolerated in the future. Don't toss a coach for that, toss him for being obnoxious about your strike zone or your bad call on the bases, but really for going to the restroom, c'mon!  ???

I am stressing the educate part because of this umps so called role in education. He needs to apply some of the classroom to the baseball field, is all!

[/quote]

While there are several situations where warnings may be issued (going to the bathroom may be one), I dare say banging or tossing a helmet, whichever this player did, is NOT one that I'd warn a player for.  What do I do when the other team tosses a helmet with more aggression?  Hard to toss him if I set a precedent earlier. One of the challenges umpires face is equal application of the rules and you never want to make a ruling that'll come back to bite you if the other team commits a similar infraction so, possibly allow the coach to go to the bathroom but the player, gotta go!

As for your comments about this ump's role in education, are you 100% certain he does not apply the same strict adherence to University policy?  You sure he allows students to arrive late, miss homework assignments and on and on and on?  If not, you're grasping at personal arguments that have no place on here.  Stick to the facts of this game!

[quote name="JJG" post="1021583" timestamp="1309466431"]

As for the coach, I also think a warning could of been issued. I mean when does a grown man have to ask permission to go to the bathroom? Only if he is in a chain gang serving time. But if that is a rule by LL it has to be adhered to. So this ump could of warned and educated the coaches that this will not be tolerated in the future. Don't toss a coach for that, toss him for being obnoxious about your strike zone or your bad call on the bases, but really for going to the restroom, c'mon!  ???

[/quote]i'm not sure who was behind the plate during this game, but i have a pretty good idea. if it's who i think it was, he made a point of warning both managers before the game about asking permission for anybody leaving the field. in other words, he told them that they would be kicked out if they did it. if a kid throws or slams his helmet down, there is no need for a warning. also, the personal stuff is just wrong.

[quote name="kf'89" post="1021589" timestamp="1309468040"]
u sure r good at calling me names big red 42,sure would be nice to meet u
[/quote]

Really KF'89...Is that your response to everything?  Teach me in person!  Would be nice to meet u!  C'mon. Raise the level of conversation here and keep in mind this discussion is about two calls by an umpire that some feel were inappropriate.  You're wanting to take it outside for that???  Can you see why youth sports is in such trouble?  

PS-Back when I was a kid, we took it outside and shook hands afterwards.  Today, other folks don't have the same man-to-man intentions as you may so how about we keep the discussion civil and on point.  Maybe we all learn more about the game we all enjoy.  It's about the kids!

Would love to stick around but if you haven't figured it out yet, I am one of those volunteer umpires that put up with hearing you, your wife and the grandparents each night and I have another game to umpire tonight, my 9th game in 5 days so please bring your rule books tomorrow or I'll be preaching it once again! ;D  I'm OUT!

i would like to meet all of u guys being critical of me,my family & friends,whats wrong with that?u all talk like u know me well.i am gonna defend my family,coaches,players & friends no matter what u think.9th game in 5 days wow are u gonna get an award for that from the jefferson county umpire organization?

That same ump rung up a Port Neches coach tonight as soon as he walked on the field. I think he's going after the famous little league ump of the year award. He took off running from umping third base to the first base line to kick a coach out for having skoal in his mouth. This guy is eagle eye. The game was just starting! I gave my son a cup to pee in while was in the dugout, just in case. ;D

oh yea, a parent From the other team was takings pictures of thier son batting and got too close to our dugout. Guess who starts hollering across the field for the parent leave that location? Yep, ump of the year. Some discretion please!!!!!

Guest sports girl
bbaalldude you are a disgrace to the game! you have no right being around kids. You have so many issues why dont you stay home and fix them. You bring your frustration to the game take it out on little kids and then expect the kids to act the way you want. You didnt see the kid from bc throw the hat did you. You were ridiculled by every person at that park last night. You should do everyone a favor and stay home!!!![quote name="bballdude" post="1021521" timestamp="1309453471"]
Apparently, Little League coaches can now determine "which" rules to enforce and "which" rules will not be enforced and if things don't go their way, it's seems acceptable to call out umpires by name and dig up elementary or high school issues on this thread.  That's unfortunate and uncalled for!

Coach, if the LL rule book states "no one shall leave the dugout without permission", then no one leaves the dugout, period!  If a kid throws or slams his helmet, regardless of where it occurs, that rule also has to be enforced or what [i]will[/i] be allowed next?  Administering rules as an umpire isn't a situation where one decides what the most popular call will be at the moment.  How about coaches simply respect the rule, quickly ask the umpire and you'll be on your way to the bathroom?  How about coaches teach their players how to channel their "emotion" into hustle and better play rather than the "attitude" you feel is in some way helping this 10 year old.  The comment made [b][i]"he feels he let his team,coaches,family & city down when he gets out or makes an error"[/i][/b] is probably the most unfortunate comment I have seen here.  C'mon! A 10 year old made to feel this much pressure by his team, coaches, family and city is a sad statement on youth sports but that is also evident by the posts here.

About the umpire:
One of the umpires you so easily criticize happens to be the very umpire that has received some of the highest evaluations at the LL State and Regional Tournaments over several years and has also received a LL World Series assignment!  Why would I mention this? Glad you asked.  [b][i]THAT[/i][/b] is how Little League (Williamsport) wants umpires to enforce rules, regardless of personal feelings, league affiliations, etc.  These umpires do not pick and choose selective rules to enforce or Managers, parents and fans like what I read here decide when it's appropriate to leave the dugout or slam their helmet (in "passion" or violent disregard for the umpires).

I truly hope as many of you as possible with travel to Tyler for the LL State Tournament, July 23rd-July 27th to see how a Little League game is handled by umpires and Tournament Directors (no, the onsite DA will NEVER stick his/her head onto the field without a formal protest being made as one of you suggested unless D32 operates differently than the rest of the LL world).  You 'll see how the focus is on the kids and the game and not the adults.

PS-I'm not holding onto the thought that umpires do not make mistakes. They (WE) do and it's OK to disagree but when it turns personal, that's unfortunate and that's what you've shown here.

[/quote][quote author=bballdude link=topic=84994.msg1021598#msg1021598 date=1309469023]
[quote author=kf'89 link=topic=84994.msg1021589#msg1021589 date=1309468040]
[/quote]

Really KF'89...Is that your response to everything?  Teach me in person!  Would be nice to meet u!  C'mon. Raise the level of conversation here and keep in mind this discussion is about two calls by an umpire that some feel were inappropriate.  You're wanting to take it outside for that???  Can you see why youth sports is in such trouble? 

PS-Back when I was a kid, we took it outside and shook hands afterwards.  Today, other folks don't have the same man-to-man intentions as you may so how about we keep the discussion civil and on point.  Maybe we all learn more about the game we all enjoy.  It's about the kids!
[/quote]

Guest Brubaker
[quote name="bballdude" post="1021521" timestamp="1309453471"]
The comment made [b][i]"he feels he let his team,coaches,family & city down when he gets out or makes an error"[/i][/b] is probably the most unfortunate comment I have seen here.  C'mon! A 10 year old made to feel this much pressure by his team, coaches, family and city is a sad statement on youth sports but that is also evident by the posts here.
[/quote]

There are many opportunities to teach and learn from this.

1. The quote above.... wow I'm speechless.  Hoping it was out of context, surely noone was justifying a mindset that puts the weight of a city, their family name...etc on a game.  I'm going to assume, that was a heat of the moment post and that the adults around this competitor are working to provide him as much perspective as possible.  I'm not saying kids may not create that pressure for themselves, but it's your full time job, more than teaching hitting/fielding/pitching... to engrain a healthy perspective for the game they play.  This mindset will NOT produce the desired results over the long run..... ESPECIALLY in the great sport of baseball, where you FAIL a LARGE majority of the time.  I'm hoping the right perspective and mindset is able to reach any kid who thinks this way.
2. What an opportunity that may be getting missed to circle the wagons internally as a "TEAM", versus airing this on a public forum and verbally at/after the game.  Sometimes it is "US against the WORLD", how do you handle it?  Sports offer the greatest learning environment in the world, this kind of adversity is difficult to reconstruct in most other environments. Lesson for us all, keep this inside the circle of the team.  "Hey, we just got hosed on a questionable, no, bad call, it happens, umpires aren't perfect, but you know what boys, it ain't gonna matter, we're going to play our game and win inspite of all this circus around us.  Stay focused, play the game, and block out all the shenanigans outside this dugout, you boys stay focused, and play the game."  This is a TRUE COMPETITORS response, figure out how to create it.

Oh, and a coach getting tossed for going to the restroom, I don't care what the rules are, if they produce an ejection over that, then something is disgustingly wrong. That's ridiculous and just plain STUPID.

Guest sports girl
big red spoonbill and 1218 I think that yall do not have a dog in the fight. The teacher you are bashing on here is an awesome teacher who was hurt for her kid. Her child is taught all of the time how to channel his anger and it is obvious that it takes a while to correct things look at yall and bballdude! how old are yall and yall have still not corrected yourselves! I feel that yall think that yall are better than others and give yourselves the right to say and act the way yall want. Step back and look at yourselves before you go bashing everyone else. I know for a fact that 1218 didnt see any kid on our team slam his helmet. I wish i could be around for two of you to have kids and see how you react when they are hurt!!! as for bballdude thank goodness for your wife!!! Lets talk maturity making fun of the way someone talks and spells so mature!! Also the kid that was ejected was talked to by his parents and is learning from this. He is a great kid and has a lot of heart and respect for the game! He does not like to mess up or do anything wrong. The way I see it brubaker and the rest of you bashing this kid and his familly, yall do not expect them to say or react in any way but look at your comments!
[quote name="sports girl" post="1021669" timestamp="1309490264"]
bbaalldude you are a disgrace to the game! you have no right being around kids. You have so many issues why dont you stay home and fix them. You bring your frustration to the game take it out on little kids and then expect the kids to act the way you want. You didnt see the kid from bc throw the hat did you. You were ridiculled by every person at that park last night. You should do everyone a favor and stay home!!!![quote author=bballdude link=topic=84994.msg1021521#msg1021521 date=1309453471]
Apparently, Little League coaches can now determine "which" rules to enforce and "which" rules will not be enforced and if things don't go their way, it's seems acceptable to call out umpires by name and dig up elementary or high school issues on this thread.  That's unfortunate and uncalled for!

Coach, if the LL rule book states "no one shall leave the dugout without permission", then no one leaves the dugout, period!  If a kid throws or slams his helmet, regardless of where it occurs, that rule also has to be enforced or what [i]will[/i] be allowed next?  Administering rules as an umpire isn't a situation where one decides what the most popular call will be at the moment.  How about coaches simply respect the rule, quickly ask the umpire and you'll be on your way to the bathroom?  How about coaches teach their players how to channel their "emotion" into hustle and better play rather than the "attitude" you feel is in some way helping this 10 year old.  The comment made [b][i]"he feels he let his team,coaches,family & city down when he gets out or makes an error"[/i][/b] is probably the most unfortunate comment I have seen here.  C'mon! A 10 year old made to feel this much pressure by his team, coaches, family and city is a sad statement on youth sports but that is also evident by the posts here.

About the umpire:
One of the umpires you so easily criticize happens to be the very umpire that has received some of the highest evaluations at the LL State and Regional Tournaments over several years and has also received a LL World Series assignment!  Why would I mention this? Glad you asked.  [b][i]THAT[/i][/b] is how Little League (Williamsport) wants umpires to enforce rules, regardless of personal feelings, league affiliations, etc.  These umpires do not pick and choose selective rules to enforce or Managers, parents and fans like what I read here decide when it's appropriate to leave the dugout or slam their helmet (in "passion" or violent disregard for the umpires).

I truly hope as many of you as possible with travel to Tyler for the LL State Tournament, July 23rd-July 27th to see how a Little League game is handled by umpires and Tournament Directors (no, the onsite DA will NEVER stick his/her head onto the field without a formal protest being made as one of you suggested unless D32 operates differently than the rest of the LL world).  You 'll see how the focus is on the kids and the game and not the adults.

PS-I'm not holding onto the thought that umpires do not make mistakes. They (WE) do and it's OK to disagree but when it turns personal, that's unfortunate and that's what you've shown here.

[/quote][quote author=bballdude link=topic=84994.msg1021598#msg1021598 date=1309469023]
[/quote]

Really KF'89...Is that your response to everything?  Teach me in person!  Would be nice to meet u!  C'mon. Raise the level of conversation here and keep in mind this discussion is about two calls by an umpire that some feel were inappropriate.  You're wanting to take it outside for that???  Can you see why youth sports is in such trouble?  

PS-Back when I was a kid, we took it outside and shook hands afterwards.  Today, other folks don't have the same man-to-man intentions as you may so how about we keep the discussion civil and on point.  Maybe we all learn more about the game we all enjoy.  It's about the kids!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Well all has been covered on here about the coach and player ejection but I have one question. Where is the penalty for the umpire who turned around and cussed at the fans last night?  There was a complaint filed last night but he's was at the PN\GLL game tonight. Can someone here tell me how that happens?

[quote name="sports girl" post="1021671" timestamp="1309491247"]
big red spoonbill and 1218 I think that yall do not have a dog in the fight. The teacher you are bashing on here is an awesome teacher who was hurt for her kid. Her child is taught all of the time how to channel his anger and it is obvious that it takes a while to correct things look at yall and bballdude! how old are yall and yall have still not corrected yourselves! I feel that yall think that yall are better than others and give yourselves the right to say and act the way yall want. Step back and look at yourselves before you go bashing everyone else. I know for a fact that 1218 didnt see any kid on our team slam his helmet. I wish i could be around for two of you to have kids and see how you react when they are hurt!!! as for bballdude thank goodness for your wife!!! Lets talk maturity making fun of the way someone talks and spells so mature!! Also the kid that was ejected was talked to by his parents and is learning from this. He is a great kid and has a lot of heart and respect for the game! He does not like to mess up or do anything wrong. The way I see it brubaker and the rest of you bashing this kid and his familly, yall do not expect them to say or react in any way but look at your comments!
[quote author=sports girl link=topic=84994.msg1021669#msg1021669 date=1309490264]
bbaalldude you are a disgrace to the game! you have no right being around kids. You have so many issues why dont you stay home and fix them. You bring your frustration to the game take it out on little kids and then expect the kids to act the way you want. You didnt see the kid from bc throw the hat did you. You were ridiculled by every person at that park last night. You should do everyone a favor and stay home!!!![quote author=bballdude link=topic=84994.msg1021521#msg1021521 date=1309453471]
Apparently, Little League coaches can now determine "which" rules to enforce and "which" rules will not be enforced and if things don't go their way, it's seems acceptable to call out umpires by name and dig up elementary or high school issues on this thread.  That's unfortunate and uncalled for!

Coach, if the LL rule book states "no one shall leave the dugout without permission", then no one leaves the dugout, period!  If a kid throws or slams his helmet, regardless of where it occurs, that rule also has to be enforced or what [i]will[/i] be allowed next?  Administering rules as an umpire isn't a situation where one decides what the most popular call will be at the moment.  How about coaches simply respect the rule, quickly ask the umpire and you'll be on your way to the bathroom?  How about coaches teach their players how to channel their "emotion" into hustle and better play rather than the "attitude" you feel is in some way helping this 10 year old.  The comment made [b][i]"he feels he let his team,coaches,family & city down when he gets out or makes an error"[/i][/b] is probably the most unfortunate comment I have seen here.  C'mon! A 10 year old made to feel this much pressure by his team, coaches, family and city is a sad statement on youth sports but that is also evident by the posts here.

About the umpire:
One of the umpires you so easily criticize happens to be the very umpire that has received some of the highest evaluations at the LL State and Regional Tournaments over several years and has also received a LL World Series assignment!  Why would I mention this? Glad you asked.  [b][i]THAT[/i][/b] is how Little League (Williamsport) wants umpires to enforce rules, regardless of personal feelings, league affiliations, etc.  These umpires do not pick and choose selective rules to enforce or Managers, parents and fans like what I read here decide when it's appropriate to leave the dugout or slam their helmet (in "passion" or violent disregard for the umpires).

I truly hope as many of you as possible with travel to Tyler for the LL State Tournament, July 23rd-July 27th to see how a Little League game is handled by umpires and Tournament Directors (no, the onsite DA will NEVER stick his/her head onto the field without a formal protest being made as one of you suggested unless D32 operates differently than the rest of the LL world).  You 'll see how the focus is on the kids and the game and not the adults.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Look, I didnt have a kid playing, but I can tell you one thing. You wouldnt see me running down the first-base line just to curse and yell at the ump.. That is called NO CLASS.. I stated that even if he threw the helmet or not, screaming at a Little League game isnt going to change anything. And I know one thing, Mr. Merchant is a great man and has a lot of respect from me. I grew up with his son playing baseball while he coached us and I know he cares about the kids more than you understand.

I dont understand why everybody takes something as a personal attack! Mark made the call cause he obviously saw something. He is not, and i repeat, IS NOT going to toss a kid without a reason. It sucks the player and coach wont be able to be at the next game, but here is the good news.. That team is really good for 10u and will have more games to play. Just chill with the personal comments about others. Im surprised a Moderator hasnt locked this thread up yet because this is the exact stuff people ARENT suppose to do on a public forum.. Looks great for the city of Nederland

Guest sports girl
well 1218 you have no clue!!!! no one cursed at the umpire the only person that cursed was the home plate umpire!!! You do not know what you are talking about and that is what makes things look bad. You saw things one way and the rest of the stands saw another!!! even your brother. People from other towns agree that the umpires were terrible. I feel that you do not have a dog in the fight and one day you will see. It is not fun eating your words!!! You have ridiculed people what makes you so special? [quote name="dogs1218" post="1021686" timestamp="1309493972"]
[quote author=sports girl link=topic=84994.msg1021671#msg1021671 date=1309491247]
[quote author=sports girl link=topic=84994.msg1021669#msg1021669 date=1309490264]

About the umpire:

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Look, I didnt have a kid playing, but I can tell you one thing. You wouldnt see me running down the first-base line just to curse and yell at the ump.. That is called NO CLASS.. I stated that even if he threw the helmet or not, screaming at a Little League game isnt going to change anything. And I know one thing, Mr. Merchant is a great man and has a lot of respect from me. I grew up with his son playing baseball while he coached us and I know he cares about the kids more than you understand.

I dont understand why everybody takes something as a personal attack! Mark made the call cause he obviously saw something. He is not, and i repeat, IS NOT going to toss a kid without a reason. It sucks the player and coach wont be able to be at the next game, but here is the good news.. That team is really good for 10u and will have more games to play. Just chill with the personal comments about others. Im surprised a Moderator hasnt locked this thread up yet because this is the exact stuff people ARENT suppose to do on a public forum.. Looks great for the city of Nederland
[/quote][quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=84994.msg1021686#msg1021686 date=1309493972]
[quote author=sports girl link=topic=84994.msg1021671#msg1021671 date=1309491247]

About the umpire:

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Guest Brubaker
Uhhhh, Brubaker isn't bashing anyone.  I'm from Nederland and hoping we can bring ourselves above the muck of what happens at times.  You need to reread my post.  Look, tough things happen, I'm not saying we can't react, especially young men 10 years old, I don't judge him for showing emotion and getting tossed, it happens.  The comments about the pressure, you may see as bashing, but I'm only trying to help.  If you don't see it as help, my bad, but it is only help and support.  The comments about using a tough situation to develop some character, not trying to bash, trying to help bring the most out of a tough situation.  If you can't learn how to handle tough situations, and I'm not just talking about winning, then you're not learning everything the situation has to teach you.  I probably should just keep my mouth shut and let all these frustrated folks vent themselves on a public message board, my bad.  Enjoy yourselves.

One other thing, I guess I was kind of bashing the umpire who threw a coach out for going to the restroom.  No matter what the excuses are, the rules, etc... that shows poor judgement.  Gotta be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard from a baseball game.

Guest sports girl
I am not going to argue with a young child!![quote name="dogs1218" post="1021689" timestamp="1309494499"]
I was standing on the fence on the 1st base side, and I do have 2 good ears
[/quote]

The only thing I asked is that personal attacks to people on this public forum be stopped :D And you said I didnt have a clue, but I sure can judge for myself since I was actually at the game right by the ump.. Take is easy! The kid will play more baseball in his life ;)

Guest sports girl
That child is taught how to win and lose I promise!! The reason the frustrated folks started venting on the message board is because the umpires did not handle themselves in an appropriate manner at all. The child showed the least emotion of all!!! The homeplate umpire was allowed to curse the 1st base umpire was allowed to taunt and provoke people and there was not punishment for them. The first base umpire has lost in on children on the field and he expects to teach a kid how to act? If the child and the coach are going to be punished for nothing then what about the umpires?[quote name="Brubaker" post="1021690" timestamp="1309494617"]
Uhhhh, Brubaker isn't bashing anyone.  I'm from Nederland and hoping we can bring ourselves above the muck of what happens at times.  You need to reread my post.  Look, tough things happen, I'm not saying we can't react, especially young men 10 years old, I don't judge him for showing emotion and getting tossed, it happens.  The comments about the pressure, you may see as bashing, but I'm only trying to help.  If you don't see it as help, my bad, but it is only help and support.  The comments about using a tough situation to develop some character, not trying to bash, trying to help bring the most out of a tough situation.  If you can't learn how to handle tough situations, and I'm not just talking about winning, then you're not learning everything the situation has to teach you.  I probably should just keep my mouth shut and let all these frustrated folks vent themselves on a public message board, my bad.  Enjoy yourselves.

One other thing, I guess I was kind of bashing the umpire who threw a coach out for going to the restroom.  No matter what the excuses are, the rules, etc... that shows poor judgement.  Gotta be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard from a baseball game.
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder