What I've learned...

Guest GoStangs

Guest GoStangs

Just from reading my share of message boards and posts from people all over the state over the past several years, there are a couple of things I've learned about HS football fans. Feel free to add to the list. It's all in fun!

** Fans of a team with a winning tradition are arrogant. They shouldn't be allowed to talk about their past accomplishments since their previous successes have no bearing on the future. Fans of a team with a losing tradition are ignorant. They shouldn't be allowed to talk about the potential for their team's success in the future, since they haven't done anything in the past.

** Every fan from every other school is a homer.

** Poor officiating, coaching, weather conditions, and so on are real problems that need to be addressed, unless a fan of another school mentions them. At that point, they are just lame excuses.

** Before each season, fans are always quick to tell you their team will have their best year ever -- they've got great talent, outstanding coaches, and tremendous heart. By the time they're 0-3, the same fans will tell you their predistrict record means nothing because they played really good competition who played their best games the night they played against their team and will be playoff contenders in their districts by the end of the regular season. Besides that, it will only help the team during district. By the time the team is 0-6, the kids are young, the coaches are stupid, and they should pass/run/blitz more. This was a rebuiding year, anyway. Watch out for them next year...

** Teams that lose a game will always win a hypothetical rematch because "they've improved."

** Your undefeated predistrict season means nothing to fans of other schools. You were supposed to beat those teams. Wait until you hit some real competition. Your 10-0 season only means you were in a weak district. The playoffs will be another story. Your 16-0 season only proves the playoff system is watered down. Your team certainly wouldn't have got past the first round or so in the other division. Besides that, who cares what your record is? It won't help you next year...

Some things I've learned about the playoffs:

Neutral doesn't mean the same as it used to.

There's nothing like seeing a bracket / pairing and your team is missing.

Close games tend to be tougher on the heart than a regular season game.

Winning tradition seems to matter.

MOST local fans remember how they really care about their "area" and support local teams when their own team loses. A sense of "community and area" comes out in us.

Fans are into "every series" moreso than regular games.

Your work week centers around "this weekend" like no other week.

Winning a Title "'aint cheap"......

Knowing all that is in the original post just makes you wonder how beneficial this forum is for the communities of SETX.

I could prove to be more devisive.

I'd just as soon talk to someone while filling up the gas tank or at the grocery store than sit by my self and read a computer screen and attempt to ledgeably reply to a post.

Knowing all that is in the original post just makes you wonder how beneficial this forum is for the communities of SETX.

I could prove to be more devisive.

I'd just as soon talk to someone while filling up the gas tank or at the grocery store than sit by my self and read a computer screen and attempt to ledgeably reply to a post.

Then why are you sitting here trying to "legibly" reply to a post?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder