Beaumont Baseball - Senior League

With high school ball coming to an end, we are starting to get things ready for another great year of Senior League. If there are any teams (leagues) that want to interleague with our league, please give me a call. We are going to kick the season off around the 9th of May. Players (15 and 16yr old) can contact me, if interested in playing. Senior league is part of Little League baseball.

Joey
651-1490

I highly recommend, those who play "Select Baseball", get out and get involved with your "community" team. Whether its senior league, babe ruth, or so on, there should be some form of commitment by these young men to their community teams-programs and to their friends who may not be fortunate enough to financially travel with a select team. Go be a "Dodger" or "Cardinal" or a "Yankee" once a week and help your friends improve by making better rosters with more talented players....

Its becoming a dying breed and its really unfortunate that now leagues must compete against other league teams due to the lack of interest of these young men. We used to have 8-12 teams full roster at any one community ballpark, now it seems kids dont want to get out in the heat or commit to league play during the week.

Keep your pitch counts down in league play, maybe commit to 2 innings per week pitching, so it doesnt effect your weekend overuse pitching wise....but go get the defensive reps and learn the game in a lilttle less intense environment with babe ruth, senior league, etc.... Hitting is tough enough on weekends, so get the reps to improve your hitting with mid week baseball...

It is definetly "worthy of the investment" by the player-parents to perform in league play,(weekday baseball), for it WILL ENHANCE the skills of the young player involved... without question it aids in development.

I'd like to hear others input on this topic, even if in disagreement, just to bring this topic to the forefront for its def worth addressing...

Fackler

I'm on your side in this one Fack.  A lot of kids think that just their 12-15 at bats on the weekend is good enough to keep them going and to be on top of their game, definately not the case.  I remember when my group of guys were playing together all those years, it was Coach Stones full practice, then an hour of extra hitting at Josh Stinsons house, then our Babe Ruth games in between.  Then the weekend rolled around and we played 4 or 5 games for select ball.  As you mentioned, just monitor the amount of innings and pitches thrown during the week and you should be fine.  Let the mid week games be your bullpen and preparation for your weekend.  I love select ball and the level of competition that it brings to the table for the advanced kids and as they get older they get the exposure they need.  On the flip side, I think that all of those same kids should be playing their local league ball.  Its a more relaxed atmosphere for quality work and fine tuning.  It also gives kids a chance to make a good run at a world series and to make a little history for our local leagues.  It also bothers me having to see all of our local little leagues or pony leagues have to combine with all of the other leagues from other towns just to be able to put together a league for kids to play.  There are kids out there that just want to have some fun with their buds, not trying to earn a starting spot on their highschool team or a college scholarship, they just want to play ball because they love the game and I hate those boys not having a place to play.  I know I was just reitterating some of the things you had said, but definately on the same page. 

It is so much fun watching these young men who challenge each other all season play on the same team during Babe Ruth.I think the friendships  they create cant ever be duplicated in select ball.Not saying anything bad about select,Just that there is nothing like players from your whole district playing in the same league.It is also fun sitting with their parents cheering for the same team.

• 1 month later...
Guest Brubaker
[quote name="GTBBaseball" post="999479" timestamp="1303229583"]
I highly recommend, those who play "Select Baseball", get out and get involved with your "community" team. Whether its senior league, babe ruth, or so on, there should be some form of commitment by these young men to their community teams-programs and to their friends who may not be fortunate enough to financially travel with a select team. Go be a "Dodger" or "Cardinal" or a "Yankee" once a week and help your friends improve by making better rosters with more talented players....

Its becoming a dying breed and its really unfortunate that now leagues must compete against other league teams due to the lack of interest of these young men. We used to have 8-12 teams full roster at any one community ballpark, now it seems kids dont want to get out in the heat or commit to league play during the week.

Keep your pitch counts down in league play, maybe commit to 2 innings per week pitching, so it doesnt effect your weekend overuse pitching wise....but go get the defensive reps and learn the game in a lilttle less intense environment with babe ruth, senior league, etc.... Hitting is tough enough on weekends, so get the reps to improve your hitting with mid week baseball...

It is definetly "worthy of the investment" by the player-parents to perform in league play,(weekday baseball), for it WILL ENHANCE the skills of the young player involved... without question it aids in development.

I'd like to hear others input on this topic, even if in disagreement, just to bring this topic to the forefront for its def worth addressing...

Fackler

[/quote]

Big ass karma for you on this post!!  Skills development is skill development, and some of it isn't always just staying inside the baseball, you hit the nail on the head Fackler!  And you have the credibility to make the point, good job.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder