Youth BB Programs - future HS success?

HillGuy

I sit here today after watching my daughters 7th grade team beat Huffman's 75-4 last night (could have been 120-4). It was very hard to watch. Although we have some good athletes, I have to admit its clearly due to the youth BB program at the Hill---and lack of one in Huffman.

I was just wondering who in the area has Little Dribblers, etc...and who doesn't?

Does it make a difference when those same girls get to HS? Just like others thoughts.

Depends on the quality of coaching they receive in little dribblers. If the kids are fortunate enough to get a coach that teaches fundamentals like passing, catching a pass, setting a screen, etc. I believe it helps them be successful in school ball. Unfortunately many little dribblers coaches were successful as HS athletes and are under the misguided impression that former athletic prowess equates to coaching ability. The kids receive little or no basic fundamentals and it doesn't get corrected when they get in Jr. High or HS.

Thanks...agree to all. OF has a good program. Maybe thats why BH and OF continually have good HS programs. And you are right Bucster, I have seen some pretty horrible coaching at that level. Just getting a ball in their hands early goes a long way, but bad fundamentals can ruin a career.

Guest bleed orange

The only problem with little dribblers just like any other organized sport is coaches tend to emphasize thier own kid instead of all the kids. I have seen it too many times. Yes the program does built the level of play at the varsity level. Fundamentals are the key. Allstars are about winning but the league itself should not be. Kids mature differently at certain ages. Do I think Little Dribblers is a good thing, yes I do Because it is about every kid. Sad to say but the future looks like AAU and Select ball. There will be kids left out and that is sad. Bucster is right.

As long as the coaches focus on fundamentals and teamwork, the youth leagues are great. The problem comes when kids play 4-6 years of Little Dribblers and hit 7th grade with terrible shooting form and improper dribbling techniques. Sometimes coaches worry about the wins and don't correct improper fundamentals if the kid is scoring.

Looking at the good girls bball teams in the area, you see many with good youth programs (BH, Orangefield, HJ, Lumberton)....but in many of these organizations you'll find good and bad coaches.

AAU/Select ball is a good way to get in more games...but that's primarily what it does. Problem comes with focusing too much on going to tournaments and not on learning.

There are many good youth coaches out there, and it doesn't matter if they are working with Little Dribblers or Select teams, they coach. Sutherland, obviously knows the game, and better yet knows how to teach it at various levels.

oh and as far as 7th grade games go...expect many of those blowouts. Most of the teams in BH district are inexperienced. Hopefully the girls don't pick up any additional bad habits. Last years 7th grade group won every game in district by at least 25 points. Only good games were in a tournament that HF and HJ were in.

Yes there a lot of good youth coaches out there. Hopefully more than the sorry ones! We have been blessed to have them. I know about the 7th and 8th schedules, my son just got out of two years of it and its no different for the boys. At least Cleveland gave them a battle. Looking forward to AAU and hopefully we'll see HJ, HF, OF and Lumberton in some school tournaments. Its really tough when you can't even run a set play because the defense is so bad. Just drive the open lane and score.

I see several years of good BH teams....we FINALLY have some height coming! 4 seventh grade players already 5'10" or better.

Learning fundementals at an early age (and continuing to use them) is the rock bottom line to any successful player.

This thread started off by asking who had good little dribblers programs...it's pretty evident that the most successful girls high school teams in the area have long standing little dribblers programs. Orangefield, Lumberton as well as a few others should be commended for keeping these programs pure. These have remained successful by the community working together to make them great for the kids.

In the last few years Little Cypress has had a "LC community basketball league" (no affiliation with Little Dribblers) that has worked to bring the fundamentals of basketball to the young kids of LC-M. We are now begining to see some of those efforts bearing fruit in our junior highs and hope that this will bring us (return us) to the next level to compete with the better girls programs in the state.

I believe that youth programs do help..... just exposure to the game, the rules, the fundamentals make kids a lot more prepared for the high school competition. Yes, there are good and bad coaches, but that is NOT limited to youth basketball... it exists in junior high and high school programs as well. I think there is more positive impact than negative with the youth programs. One example....Lumberton Lady Raiders. In the late 90's, the first crop of girls to go through Lumberton's Little Dribbler program brought success to a high school program that had NEVER reached the playoffs in the entire history of the school. That was during the 1997-98 season, and the Lady Raiders have reached the playoffs every season since, excepting one. That culminated in a trip to the State Tournament in 2006. So, you'll never convince me that the men and women who volunteer for that program don't have a positive impact on the high school teams.

Guest bcofgsa

I agree with you all about the success of little dribblers and High School programs. I also do not understand why when this same topic comes up in SOFTBALL that most of these people cannot understand why there softball teams are not competitive. The only problem with LD's is the girls division all-stars runs half the summer interfering with our softball programs. The boys are through before summer baseball but the girls are not. I have had to choose between both softball and basketball because with my girls and thats a shame because they like both.

bcofgsa - interesting comment. I feel your pain. My daughter does both, BB and SB, along with half of her tournament softball team. It is a struggle in the Spring/Summer for sure. I co-manage her softball team and we constantly have to work around BB.

The good news - 7th Grade! as soon as they are there, you don't have that conflict. Of course then there is volleyball, cheerleading, cross-country etc etc etc!

You're right though...the same benefit to the HS softball comes from a good local softball league (and good area select teams).

Guest bleed orange

Your kids should not have to choose. Hopefully their coaches should work together to make sure the kids can do both. It can be done. We have been doing it for years at Orangefield. I agree the seasons do run together and that is a shame. On the other hand sometimes kids must make choices in life and that is life. We all have to make choices. I don't know what the solution is. Reguardless we need to keep our kids involved in something. Softball, basketball is a good thing.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder