Is there any rule against noise makers at a highschool baseball game?

poseidon

At the game monday a group of students were blowing the stupid soccer horns when the opposing pitcher was pitching.  The ump made them stop during the actual pitch, but they would blow them the rest of the time.  It seems like last year I read a post about UIL rules on this, but could not find anything on it.

Guest Ranger83
There is no specific UIL rule that regulates the use of artifical noisemakers. Most stadiums and school districts have those rules in place that would prohibit such activities.

That would be within the umpire's right to prohibit the use of the noise makers. It's no different than ejecting a fan for "verbal" abuse.

If my memory serves me correctly the UIL rule only specified that no noisemakers could be in enclosed area e.g. basketball gyms.  But it's been a while since I read it.

Ump should have authority to impede if necessary.  Real fans should only utilize noisemakers to lift up team on great plays..not to break down a kid.  JMO.

Guest Big12Fan
Last summer, I watched a select "showcase" game where the third base Coach would yell, or make a noise (to his batters) as the pitcher started his windup.  He would get louder and louder until the pitch was delievered. The ump finally warned him as it was clearly a distraction to the young pitcher the Coach claimed that he had a right to "cheer" his batters on.  I found that to be extremely poor sportsmanship.  This a local High School coach I will be watching closely!

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="970075" timestamp="1298402311"]
I will get as good a ruling as I can on this subject. I know it has been talked about the last couple of years. It is a shame that sportsmanship by fans has come to this.
[/quote]

Its just students doing it, they started during football season and I guess it is carrying over to baseball.  I sure wish the umps would just tell them to hit the road.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="970121" timestamp="1298408930"]
Magnolia brings lots of noisemakers.  Pretty obnoxious fans, with poor sportsmanship.  It's sparked a rivalry between the two schools in recent years. 
[/quote]

You are right. I was covering a playoff game at PN-G and was stuck right in front of Magnolia's fans. Grown WOMEN talking smack lol, being a former Indian baseball player it was tough to stay quiet but the Tribe shut them up with a big rally to win.

This is copied directly from the UIL manual on sportmanship. This is for spectators. You can read the whole manual on the UIL website.

Behavior Expectations of Spectators
• Always support your team and the efforts
of all participants involved.
[b]• Do not intimidate or ridicule a player, coach
or official before, during or after a contest.[/b]
• Always praise athletes for their actions during
a game; never degrade a participant for
their efforts. Athletics are a learning experience
for students, and mistakes will be made.
[b]• Remember that a ticket is a privilege to observe
the contest, not a license to verbally assault
others or be generally obnoxious.[/b]
• Learn the rules of the game so that you may
understand and appreciate why certain situations
take place.
• Always respect the integrity and judgment
of officials. They are present to regulate the
flow and enforce the rules of the game.
[b]• Show respect for the opposing players,
coaches, spectators and support groups.
Treat them as guests to your school.
• Use only cheers that support and uplift the
teams involved.[/b]• Recognize and show appreciation for an outstanding
play by either team.
• Refrain from the use of any controlled substance
(alcohol, drugs, etc.) before, during and
after the game on or near the site of the event.
•[b] Be a positive role model at events through
your own actions and by censuring those
around you whose behavior is unbecoming[/b]

As an umpire, we have the right to rule on anything that is not specifically spelled out in the rules and yes there is a rule that we can do that.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami